2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete Transmission Failure at 53,000 miles: Caused by Flush.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Nick O'Teen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complete Transmission Failure at 53,000 miles: Caused by Flush.

I recently experienced the pain and expense of having the transmission on my 2004 Lariat SuperCrew (which has been a great vehicle otherwise) at 53,000 miles.

I was crusing down the highway (level ground) towing a trailer (about 4,500 pounds) when I heard a slight noise like we were dragging something. A few moments later we were off the highway, unable to move, with the message on the dash "Transmission Failure." As if I needed to be told that.

After being towed to a nearby Ford dealership the technicians there pulled the trans and opened it up. It was full of metal shavings. The planet gears had chewed themselves to dust.

Upon further examination the techicians told me that the failure was in no way related to towing or heat related as there was no sign of overheating anywhere. What they did say was the failure was caused by the filter being completely clogged with gunk which was the result of a chemical flush process. They said if I were to go back and look at my records I would find a charge for a flush with an additional charge (of around $25) for the chemical package used in the flush process.

They said the trans just simply starved for lubrication and destroyed itself as a result. They could tell the pan had never been off the trans since the truck left the factory as the yellow plastic dipstick plug (a small, round object with an "O-ring" around it) was still in the pan. This also told them the filter was not changed at the 30K service as it should have been.

Looking inside the filter (which I still have) you can see that it is completely clogged with a sticky brown goo.

I went back to check my service records and, just as the techs had predicted, my local dealer did a flush and also charged about $25 for the chemical package.

In the opinion of the techs the type of filter used in the F150 (being what they described as a "mohair" type filter rather than a screen type) is not compatible with the chemical flush process. They went on to say they never do a flush and always change the filter with a fluid change. According to them (and others I have talked to since) I would have never had the problem if I'd never had the flush done - I would have been better off still runnning the original fluid.

At $4,300 for the repair, it is a huge price to pay for someone else's bad practices.

Now I'm in the process of trying to get Ford and the local Ford dealer to reimburse me for the repair.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:32 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While your situation sucks, it seems you are taking it as best as someone could. Just remember to play nice with the dealer while going through this. Did the other tech who told you all this, document it? ALWAYS get it in writing. If the Ford dealer, or corporate dont make it right... there are options. I know local to me, some of the TV stations have consumer affair sections (my local one is called "Help Me Hank!"). They often times take on such consumer challenges. Good luck, and keep us abreast of the progress.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Nick O'Teen
Junior User
I have photographs of the trans inside and out and, as mentioned, I have the filter. I don't, as yet, have anything in writing from the techs (at the dealership that did the repairs) who explained the reason for the failure. I would like to avoid causing any trouble for them at this point. They (and the dealership management)were very helpful every step of the way.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:44 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
So the same dealership that did the flush, fixed the transmission?

Old 09-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Nick O'Teen
Junior User
No. My local dealer did the flush. The dealer that replaced the trans is a few hundred miles away.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude that does suck i hope everything works out good for you

Old 09-04-2007, 04:51 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Well that other dealer should have no issue writing up EXACTLY what they found (since they are not liable for the problems incured from dealer #1). If they do, I would be on the phone with your regional Ford rep faster than the service adviser could hang up the phone.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:17 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
That sucks big time. Sorry to hear it. So when they did the flush did the replace the filter or was it the original filter? I would think it should be replaced. If the chemical flush is bad why would Ford even offer it.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:26 PM
ranger88a
Elder User
We do flush, however, you don't need to use stupid chemicals! just flush the trans with trans fluid. Benefits are all old fluid is removed, no, the filter is not changed. However, a trans filter should never plug unless internal damage has occurred. Mostly it's a personal preference, if the customer insists on changing the filter I will. I have never seen a filter plugged unless internal damage has happened. Flushing is fine as long as they are done properly just like anything else.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
You won't get a dime, unless you get a lawyer and spend more money on it.

If you got your tranny flush at 30k, and now you're at 53k, you're out of even the 12k warranty most places offer for repair work.

Next time, specifically insist that you NOT get the chemical treatment. Flushing is just done with tranny fluid.

Four grand is an expensive way to learn that.

Tough luck.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Doogie S
Senior User
Please enlighten me if I am wrong, but the the transmission takes Mercon V fluid, which is a full synthetic and the recommended fliud change is at 250,000km in the factoy service manual.

Why would your dealer recommend flushing the transmission at 30,000 miles?

To me, it seems like the dealership is looking to make a few extra $$ on service work that doesn't need to be done, or am I out to lunch on this?

Doug

Old 09-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Doogie S
Senior User
Correct me if I am wrong, but the inforamtion I have on the transmission is that it takes Mercon V fluid (a full synthetic) and only needs replacement every 250,000 km according to the service manual.

Did your dealer recommend the transmission flush? If so, it sounds like they were looking to get a little extra $$ for service work that did not need doing.

Doug

Old 09-05-2007, 02:33 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 1,001 Posts
I think (without looking) that they require a sooner fluid chance for severe service (towing is severe service). And I also think it IS at 30,000 miles. I just came back from a 11,000 X-country trip towing my trailer and the first thing I did was to get a transmission service. I only have 25,000 miles.

I don't think that you will get too much out of Ford, but that local dealer may refund you some for that chemical installation.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Nick O'Teen
Junior User
The Scheduled Maintainence Guide (separate from the Owner's Manual) simply specifies changing the fluid at 30K intevervals - no mention of towing or otherwise.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 PM
jp2665
New User
Pay attention team, please. Don't let ford do any repair's unless it's to reset their pain in the @$$ computer controled goodies. I have been to multiple dealership's because of the complexity of these trucks. If they do half of what they say they do
right you are lucky. The person who mentioned the documented issues is right. That's
what I did with an intermittent problem with the 4 W D not engaging, then it engaged and would not disengage. Because I had it documented they fixed it finally at 40 k miles in correlation with my persistence. I also had one dealer ship do the 30 K mile checkup (MISTAKE). I specifically requested that the differential fluid changed and the gear lash checked because of the bad rear end track record lately. This service also included transmission service, and radiator flush. They extracted the fluid from the diff and refilled it with out removing the back plate. They did not flush my radiator they just topped it off. It appears that they might have removed the the transmission pan because it was cleaner than when I took it in (best I can tell). I got some of the issues resolved that I had valid evidence on after showing my @$$, which I really don't like doing, but I'm tired being inconvenienced because these wannabee mechanics want to pump as many vehicles through using shortcuts at our expense.
I'm embarrased to say what I paid for this service. Since then I still get service notices saying I should bring my truck in for routine service. YEAH RIGHT. As for your situation on the transmission failure. I say you have a solid case. Hopefully it is documented correctly. Don't worry about creating problems between the two dealer's. Trust me, they are not hurting. But I'm not bitter or anything.

Last edited by jp2665; 09-06-2007 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Complete Transmission Failure at 53,000 miles: Caused by Flush.