General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Schools that ban tag...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:28 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Schools that ban tag...

How pitiful. We are turning into a nation of wimps, one small step at a time.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...07/detail.html

Old 08-30-2007, 01:32 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Do your kids a favor. Take them out of government run, unionized schools.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:59 PM
I6power
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long till kids are going to school with their own lawyers?
Teacher, "So little billy was Christopher Columbus Spanish, Italian, or Portuguese?"
Kids lawyer, "My client doesn't have to answer that...."

Old 08-30-2007, 02:16 PM
magee
Elder User
Amen, Ken. This just adds one more reason why my kids will never go to a government run school. I bet it was just the slow kids that hated the game, anyway. Put down the Twinkies, turn off the X-Box and get that fat butt outside.

When will we (they?) ever learn? The schools are set up to make everybody good employees, but crappy leaders. The less people use common sense, the easier it will be for the government to control every detail of our lives. Boycot your "public" schools and put your kids in private school or even home school them. Sure, paying tuition is a struggle sometimes. My kids are worth every bit of the effort and expense.

I'm constantly amazed at the nonsense that comes from the educational system in this country. I'm also amazed at the utter lack of education coming from that same system. Has anybody seen the video of Miss South Carolina (I think) explaining why so many people in the U.S. couldn't find the U.S. on a map? Hearing her answer will drop your I.Q. by 10%.

So, don't be lazy. Don't poop on your kid's future. Get them out of the "system" and give them a chance to be successful.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:26 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
Hear, hear! My kids are homeschooled.

Zero-tolerance policies have become zero intelligence policies. Not only do schools ban tag and dodgeball (how can you grow up without playing those?), but they also suspend pre-teen students for drawing PICTURES of guns. Heck, when I was 9, about all I drew was tanks and guns and things blowing up.

Jason

Old 08-30-2007, 02:27 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So.....They ban tag because it promotes aggression, but they tolerate criminal behavior (drugs, guns, gang activity, assaults, etc.) and sweep it under the rug....Especially if it involves a BDD kid? (Behavioral Developmental Disability)....For the first time in, I think, 3 years.....CMS (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools) permanently suspended 6 students......Despite the fact that felonies and serious misdemeanors ran into the hundreds......In some cases with some students committing multiple crimes.....

ONLY SIX STUDENTS?!......

Old 08-30-2007, 03:40 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Already did as well...I work two jobs to be able to afford tuition, but I'll work ten jobs to keep them out of public schools.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:06 PM
ChurchTurtle
Elder User
Our school system isn't perfect, but it's not nearly as bad as some. My boys have had good teachers so far. They've not banned tag on our playground yet. However, the school system has done some over the top disciplinary zero tolerance things that ought to be reviewed. And those things probably won't change for the better any time soon.

Public school is just about the only alternative a two-job working family in this neck of the woods has. And like I said, we don't have near the nonsence some places have to deal with.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:18 PM
wynn1
New User
A lot of common sense here guys, glad to see it, it's real rare to see any of that nowadays. I graduated from high school in 1966 and it was a whole different world then. We did our usual kid stuff and if it was too much we paid for it (board on the butt or something else) and we didn't lose any "self esteem". That's all they can talk about now.

Where's the hard knocks we got? They didn't hurt us, they made us stronger. If you didn't get picked for a team, it hurt for a while but you got over it and you tried harder next time. If you got knocked down in tag or something else, you got up and went again.

Public education is pitiful. How do I know? I went back to college and got a degree in education in 1994. Times were hard in my line of work and I have family in education. I found out doing student teaching that it wasn't for me. Can't teach, can't discipline, no backup from the administration. I figured I'd last about 2 weeks and I'd be fired or arrested. One of the best teachers I had in college told me one thing that's really stuck with me. He said "these kids need a board on the butt once in a while and an arm around their shoulder once in a while because they don't get it at home but you can't do either one, if you do, you'll have a lawsuit on you" and he was right.

OK, I suppose that's enough but this thread really appealed to me. You guys that are homeschooling or private schooling (if you can afford it) keep it up. It'll really pay off for your kids and after all, that's what you're here for isn't it, to do the best for them you can. You are the ones to teach them responsibility and how to get along in our world. I bet everyone's kids on here get along alright.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:33 PM
I6power
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by magee
I'm constantly amazed at the nonsense that comes from the educational system in this country. I'm also amazed at the utter lack of education coming from that same system. Has anybody seen the video of Miss South Carolina (I think) explaining why so many people in the U.S. couldn't find the U.S. on a map? Hearing her answer will drop your I.Q. by 10%.
I just youtubed it and i wish i didnt. I found two things disturbing about this. The first being the question; the apparently 1/5th of americans cant find US on a map. Thats 60,000,000 US citizens that dont know where there own country is located! The second part that disturbed me was the response. All i can say about that is wow. Just.....wow. You werent kidding. By the way heres the video if anyones curious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO9n8dO8tZ8

Edit: There is one thing that public schools will teach kids that other schools cant. Thats social skills. I went to a private school from kindergarden to 8th grade. After that i went to a public high school. That was one hell of a change and i didnt adapt immediatly. Im really glad i went to a public school later in life because of this reason. I wasnt exactly the most popular kid in 9th grade, also really shy, not a good combination for someone of that age. But after that i quickly adapted and enjoyed the rest of my high school years. I actually miss those days, especially my senior year that was a lot of fun.

Last edited by I6power; 08-30-2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: one more thing
Old 08-30-2007, 06:44 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My children aren't in school to get social skills: that may help that will get them a good job at McDonalds, Walmart or an assembly line. My kids are in are in school to get the best education we can get them, so they can make a great living using their minds.

They can learn social skills just fine in the real world.

Last edited by FTE Ken; 08-30-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:55 PM
I6power
Posting Guru
I think we define social skills differently. Also, what do you mean by real world? Like business world or something?

When i was growing up it was in a private christian school. Its not like i got picked on, and even if somebody wanted to a teacher would intervene. In high school that wasnt the case. If i had a problem with somebody i had to deal with that person myself.

Thats where i had to make decisions of ignore, argue, physical confrontation etc. I learned to deal with people. And a lot of people at that. At the private school there was probably a few hundred (white) people there that were all christians. When i got to high school there was 2500 people of all race and religion. It wasnt really sheltered at all. There were gang fights (not like an every day occurrence but i never saw that in private school) and all sorts of crazy happenings. I got exposed to things that ive only heard about before. Thats gotta count for something right?

Old 08-30-2007, 07:16 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I agree with Ken. Get your kids out of government union schools. They are the worst schools you can use. Political Correctness runs amok at public schools.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:27 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
A guy I work with just signed his kid up for catholic kindergarden... it cost 6 grand.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by jake00
A guy I work with just signed his kid up for catholic kindergarden... it cost 6 grand.
I work two jobs to afford it...Well worth every penny imo.

Quick Reply: Schools that ban tag...