N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Rib Cookoff Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:56 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rib Cookoff Anyone?

The wife and I are probably going to be at the Rib Cookoff in Reno this weekend.
If anyone else is heading that way, post up and I'll join ya for a beer and couple o' ribs.
Or maybe a couple o' beers and a rib?
http://www.gotorenotahoe.com/rt25/ribCookOff/

Last edited by olfordsnstone; 08-29-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:18 PM
fyre82
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have a couple of beers and a rib for me Tim, I can't make it this year, I have to finish up a couple of projects at home, (my trucks new house, rail fence, clean gutters, wash and wax the focus . . . ) it never ends.

Have FUN!

Rich

Old 08-29-2007, 06:44 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds like a lot of fun! Good friends, good food, and good music. I wish I could go. Unfortunately, I get to spend this weekend re-filing a couple of years worth of back taxes. Seems the IRS is picky about adding stock sales as income. Who'd a thunk?

In all honesty, walking barefoot over broken glass is probably more fun than I'll be having.

Last edited by AnOldDog; 08-29-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:51 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
For a minute there, I thought Tim was throwing down the gloves.

I was gonna pick Chet for my team.

Does sound fun though.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:53 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fyre82
Have a couple of beers and a rib for me Tim, I can't make it this year, I have to finish up a couple of projects at home, (my trucks new house, rail fence, clean gutters, wash and wax the focus . . . ) it never ends.

Have FUN!

Rich
Do what I do...put things off in the summer because it's too hot...then tell the lil lady it's too wet in the winter

Has worked okay the past couple years, but she's catching on and nagging me now...might have to screw up a perfectly good Fall this year and clean up around my place too....

Old 08-29-2007, 08:07 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
For a minute there, I thought Tim was throwing down the gloves.

I was gonna pick Chet for my team.
A team in these events is usually more like six people. Yes, I have participated in a couple of competitions and have done reasonably well. We've got some welders and we could build one heck of a trailerable smoker and pull together a team.

When you compete, you cook a whole bunch of food and need a really big smoker and a large food prep area. It is a lot of equipment. They way it works is you pick out the choice pieces to offer the judges and sell the rest to the lowly crowd.

We could do this if there is interest.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:19 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by AnOldDog
A team in these events is usually more like six people. Yes, I have participated in a couple of competitions and have done reasonably well. We've got some welders and we could build one heck of a trailerable smoker and pull together a team.

When you compete, you cook a whole bunch of food and need a really big smoker and a large food prep area. It is a lot of equipment. They way it works is you pick out the choice pieces to offer the judges and sell the rest to the lowly crowd.

We could do this if there is interest.
Hmmmmm, a new project? Maybe we could pull the set up with the mudder truck... Hmmmm...

If no one can make it, I understand. It's a long way and on short notice. The wife and I will be heading out that way on either Saturday or Sunday. Not sure which. At this time it doesn't look like we'll be bringing the trailer, but ya never know. I mentioned that I didn't want to worry too much about having a few beers with my ribs, and that I thought we should bring our house on wheels. She said "what's the matter with me driving". Me being her of course.
I hate it when I have to ride shotgun with the wife, but WTF, it beats a DUI. I suppose I should count my blessings.
Anywho, you guys let me know if it might be doable for any of ya. I've never been able to attend the rib cookoff in Reno. Usually had to go to some other state and chase wildfires this time of year. Things have changed and it seems I am able to get away more often for summer activities these days .
So there is life after work...

Old 08-29-2007, 10:58 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Burning Man is going on 100 miles north of Reno this weekend, so keep an eye out for the dusty, dehydrated, hungover, and worn out partiers this weekend. The last time I went (2005) there were 40,000 people + up there. Have fun eating ribs and drinking beer.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:36 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Looks like I wont be there on Saturday (today). Got stuck here at work on overtime...
Gonna be there Sunday. I'll wear a Ford Trucks ball cap (the one on the cat in my avitar). If I hear a "hey, are you ol-fords?", I'll know I am in the company of fellow FTE members.
Regards

p.s. I'll be the guy with BBQ sauce all over my face and shirt, and a beer in my hand.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:53 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
The cookoff was fun. LOTS of people and lots of ribs/beer. The scenery was, um, well lets just say my neck hurts from rotating my head so much. (the wife doesn't see the humor)
There were a few stages there where a few bands strutted their stuff, but it probably got a little more active after we left, after sundown.
It got pretty hot (temp wise) and we decided to head for home before we became too tipsy to drive. Unfortunately, we probably missed some of the more interesting adventure, but one needs to be sensible.
I think that I might go again next year, but will bring my RV, or stay at a hotel somewhere in Reno/Sparks. That way, we can feel a little easier about that long drive home.
I think it ends today, but I've had enough exitement. Time to take it easy up here in the cool mountain air at home. Gotta work on my attitude adjustment for work tomorrow.
Just thought I'd throw in the update, to close the thread.
Tim

Last edited by olfordsnstone; 09-03-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:10 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like fun. A better time than I've had the last two days, that's for sure. I guess I should have driven over to join you. The only BBQ I've had all weekend was some tasteless Tri-tip at the fair...

Old 09-03-2007, 09:50 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I just had some of the "TTT" today, nothing worse than a bland piece of meat...how the heck someone can screw up Tri Tip slices, I'll never know, but they did.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:54 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Most people use honey in their BBQ sauce - even add brown sugar. I will pass on that, but do enjoy meat that has been marinated overnight. There are lots of different flavors you can use - you are bound to find one you like!

Yes, Mike, you can use beer as one of the ingredients!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:28 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I'd have to slap someone if I saw them wasting beer on a BBQ.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Don't worry Mike, the ribs I cook are designed to be marinated in the belly. Usually just add the beer, after rib injestion. It doesn't do much for the flavor of the ribs that way (well, unless you drink too much beer and you find yourself post marinade tasting ), but it sure does work well as a chaser.

Quick Reply: Rib Cookoff Anyone?