Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

4x4 control module (4x4 flash problem)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:39 AM
jrobie79
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shorod
Were you completely stopped with the transmission in Neutral when trying to engage 4x4 Low? When shifting into or out of Low range, the 4WD control module requires that the vehicle speed is less than 5 km/h (3 mph), the brake is applied, and the transmission is in Neutral.

From the factory service manual:
CHECK THE LOW RANGE INDICATOR FOR ON IN 4X4 LOW
-Apply and hold the brake pedal.
-Shift the transmission to NEUTRAL.
-Listen for shift motor operation.
-Hold the shift conditions for 20 seconds. (The system will use up to five cycles of shift attempts trying to engage 4X4 LOW.)

If that doesn't work, then the manual recommends the following:
  • Shift the transmission to REVERSE and back the vehicle up 3.0 meters (10 feet) to relieve driveline windup and stop.
-Drive the vehicle forward for 3.0 meters (10 feet) and stop.
-Apply the brake pedal and hold.
-Shift the transmission to NEUTRAL.
-Observe the 4WD LOW indicator.

-Rod
I will try that tonight thanks! I still woud like to get the exact same part number module in there, if for nothing but peace of mind, the JY will only charge me like $10/15. I need to grab some replacement backup sensors and a couple coils for it anyways

Old 02-10-2016, 11:55 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
You might check with a dealership parts department or the Internet to see if there will be a functional difference between a BD and a BE. The most credible item I found is that the 'B' is the number that you want to match. The 'D' and 'E' difference will not have an impact. If that's confirmed, then you can spend the $10 or $15 on beer, etc.

-Rod

Old 02-10-2016, 12:06 PM
jrobie79
Freshman User
Originally Posted by shorod
You might check with a dealership parts department or the Internet to see if there will be a functional difference between a BD and a BE. The most credible item I found is that the 'B' is the number that you want to match. The 'D' and 'E' difference will not have an impact. If that's confirmed, then you can spend the $10 or $15 on beer, etc.

-Rod
yeah in my travels, I've discovered that too, the first letter is more important. I'll give it a shot with the reversing, driving etc....

I'm going to do a full fluid swap for the truck this weekend too, including transfer case, ill inspect the fluid to see if there's any crap in there

off topic:

what are you recommending for tranny fluid? any name brand synthetic mercon V work?

Old 02-10-2016, 06:18 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
I'm not even hung up on name brand. The biggest thing is to make sure the fluid you put in is rated appropriately according to the spec listed in the owner's manual / service manual. I trust you're changing the transmission filter as well.

The fluid should be XT-5-QM Mercon V, the full capacity is 12.7 qts. Depending on how much you are able to drain, you will need some amount less than that.

-Rod

Old 01-25-2017, 10:12 AM
SidCharming
New User
Question 4x4 CM issue

I identified I need to change out my Control module after changing my truck battery. I have a 2002 Explorer EB with the 4.0L Fuel. I did some research on this forum as with others to find out where my module is in my truck. Mine is behind the glove box. I found my part to be: 1L24-7H473-AD. I called around (in need of prompt repair) which led me to look at local recycle store. They had the part. All was great until I get there and I look at the part number and it is: 2C54-7H473-BE. The guy pulled specs on the computer and said they are interchangeable. I proceed to purchase the part and head home a happy camper (having paid <$100 and having part in hand that same day)... I hop in passenger side, open glove box... remove one screw, unplug two connectors, connect connectors to new box and before I could get the screw in, I heard my CD player/radio cycling through the CDs... ODD I thought... anyway I put in the screw, close glove box and leave passenger seat. I open the driver door to hear beeping from the dash (like I left headlights on or keys in the ignition). I put my key in the ignition, turn and start the truck... all is good. I push my 4x4 auto or 4x4 high buttons but no response... only 4x4 low light is on (solid). I then decide to try driving the truck around the block and do some reverse driving as I read about... truck did *NOT* want to engage past park... shifter lever is locked in park. I turn off truck, remove computer, put back my original and wiring as it was before I started the project. I then started the truck again... same issue; locked shifter, no response from 4x4 buttons and 4x4 low light is on (solid). I returned the part and ordered an exact part number product to be delivered (with extra shipping fees) the next day. That's today! From my reading I will be attempting to reset the truck by removing battery for minimum of 20 minutes... and with battery disconnected I'll change out the Control Module. I will post if it is successful. I am posting my response because no one else here did the 'listening' to a clerk say parts are interchangeable and then proceeded with the different part number... also I wasn't aware of the disconnect battery before changing parts. Again, I'll update later on what I find out. *Wish me good luck!*

Old 01-26-2017, 01:42 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Good luck! And thanks for your input. Like you, I would have trusted the salesman that those two part numbers were interchangeable, especially if they look the same and appear to have the same connector and pinout.

-Rod

Old 01-26-2017, 10:01 PM
SidCharming
New User
Okay update to my 4x4 CM issue... I returned the wrong Module and received the exact part number. I first unplugged the battery (removed negative cable) for 20 minutes. The reason is to reset. After 20 minutes I swapped modules. Attached the negative power to the battery. Put the keys in the ignition... started the truck... SAME RESULT... no brake lights, no moving the shifter at all (LOCKED). I then checked the fuses under the hood... (
Image_of_Fuse_box). Fuse number 27 was blown. I replaced it... Started the truck again... SAME RESULT =\

I researched and found the Brake Light Switch is the next culprit. I purchased it and will be trying in the morning to change it... Napa's part is an upgrade, so I have to cut wires and splice. Yipee!!

** While searching for the problem on YouTube, I found a nugget. There is a button to bypass the shifter safety (TEMPORARILY). This works as a temporary fix, but my brake lights are still dead, but I can drive. (Blinkers work though)

Old 02-02-2017, 11:05 PM
gpineau
Freshman User
4x4 lamps flash 3 times every few minutes

I dont know where to post this request for help as I dont have permission to create a new thread.
I found a similar thread here but the problem is not the same as mine.

I got my 2005 Expedition back from the shop and after a couple of weeks the battery gave up and died. I tried to jump start it and mistakenly hooked up the cables with the wrong polarity. Oops! It was only for about 10 seconds but it was long enough to do damage. The radio is dead. and the 4x4 dash lamps come and flash 3 times and repeats every few minutes. I have checked all the related fuses but still happens. Disconnected the PCM and discharged the caps for 30 minutes. Still fails. Following some suggestion here I purchased a used 4x4 control module from a 2004 model at salvage. Guess what? the 2005 does not use a 4x4 CM. from what I can find from google is that the 4x4 control functions are in the PCM on the 2005 model. So I have a 4x4 CM I don't need.

But I am at my wits end trying to decide what to try next. The PCM seems to be doing everything correctly as far as the car running and shifting. No dash lamps and the truck runs fine other than the 4x4 wont engage. And the lamps flash 3 times every few minutes.

When trying to switch into 4 wheel there is no noise. No relay clicks, no alert tone sounds. It's like the switch was not turned at all. I hate to pay big money for a new PCM and discover that the problem is elsewhere. Any suggestions on what to check for?

Old 02-03-2017, 05:21 PM
gpineau
Freshman User
4x4 lamps flash 3 times every few minutes (solved)

found Fuses F1.30 and F1.31 blown. As soon as I replaced them I heard the 4x4 alert tone telling me it was in 4 wheel drive.

Evidently there are some things that are not protected by the PCM power diode. Radio is working again too.

Really happy to find this as I was about to go to the Ford dealer and pay $300 just to find out the problem.