6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Puking/EGR delete pipe questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:53 PM
red_georgia
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puking/EGR delete pipe questions?

I installed an EGR delete pipe to try to solve a puking problem on my '05 6.0.

Short history:
-Started puking after a year of towing heavy and using Hypertech tuning. Would not puke stock programming.
-Had HGs replaced by dealer and ARPs installed.
-Will still puke even on Hypertech stage 1 when towing.
-Installed sneaky pipe yesterday and same symptoms exist.
- Have 4" exhaust on truck and stock intake. When it pukes, the engine temp gauge climbs very quickly and drops as soon as I get off the throttle.
I was guessing it wasn't the HGs to start with and installed the sneaky pipe yesterday. Tested this moring. Same thing, will still puke when programmed, will not stock.

Questions:
1. I got a CEL when first running the truck after installing the sneaky pipe. It went off after running the truck a few times and hasn't come back on. Does this indicate a problem.... shouldn't it be sensing no flow through EGR and throw a code (No DTCs reported)?

2. With no flow in the EGR cooler, is there any chance it is still the cause of the puking?
3. Any other ideas on what it could be other than HGs? I have ordered the Snap-on combustion leak tester to see if it detects EGs in the coolant when puking; do you consider this a valid way to determine if it is the HGs again? It just seems odd to me that I can climb the same 7% grade WOT stock and not puke yet puke when programed. It makes me think it is a heat issue in the coolant somewhere.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:25 PM
04Xcursion
Tuned
I do not believe that with the EGR blocked off coolant puking would be an issue, coolant loss could be because if the cooler is internally damaged it will leak.

There are a couple of possibilities for continued puking:

Did the Ford dealer verify head/block deck flatness? if not you may have warpage issues of the head or deck which becomes evident with the high combustion pressures induced by your tuner.

Another possibility, although more rare, is a cracked cylinder or a cracked head; under high combustion pressures the crack can open up enough to allow combustion gasses into the coolant system.

Sadly to verify either of these the engine needs to be partially torn down and inspected.

Good luck, let us know what you find

Old 08-26-2007, 04:08 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
i agree with excursion, i was thinking warped heads/block deck also if these werent machined flat before the HG were done last time, then you will still have issues. remember with a tuner like the hypertech you are advancing the timing, and this is what causes higher cylinder pressures, more so than the actual amount of additional fuel, the advanced timing can really spike cylinder pressures

Old 08-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Teazr
New User
One other thing to check is the front of the radiator and ac condensor for air flow restrictions, your tuner is creating a bit more heat that your cooling system cannot handle, if all is clean check flow through the radiator, could possibly be restricted especially if somebody put a sealant in it sometime. Otherwise these guys are probably correct.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:51 PM
ciscofreak
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the thread out (can't remember the title) about putting a spring in the lower radiator hose. Some believe that the lower hose collapsing could possibly be causing the puking. Sounds like your truck would be the perfect test due to you having studs and EGR mods.