6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

fuel line crossover and regulated fuel return

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 03:55 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my issues with LIPD are between me and jeremy. and i am currently trying to resolve them like a gentleman with him.

as far as the original post is concerned: i have ordered my x-over from matt at spartan, but it is the ITP kit and is high quality.
as far as the thread about the head studs, the ARP's are plenty strong, the only downside is you can only reuse them a few times, i wouldn't try more than 3 , whereas going with h11 tool steel will allow to reuse them over and over and over. that being the main deciding factor in whether you want to go arp or tool steel

Old 08-27-2007, 04:44 AM
rchouser
Senior User
I considered the straight crossover approach and it would be better than no crossover. For me (and my objectives) I think the ability to regulate rail pressure though an adjustable return valve is something that I want. Again, thanks to all who are replying to this thread. rc

Old 08-27-2007, 05:02 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
RC--I have the ITP system installed in my truck. Neat, clean, well thougt out design. IMHO it is much easier than trying to screw elbow's in the back of the head and much neater in the overall install. Fuel pressure/flow was much improved and I'm still using the stock pump. I was having a serious sustained loss of fuel pressure and now it's only a "spike". It was well worth the investment to protect the injectors.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:06 AM
20046.0PSDX
Senior User
RC
Sorry about the slow response but I was off the pc all weekend. It looks like the "usual suspects" have answered your questions and even 'ol Matt chimed in.

Your thinking concerning the full system are well founded and a good decision for the longevity of your injectors and the 6.0 in general.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:05 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
What is install time for the ITP Regulated return fuel system kit. Looks like a fair amount of work. Anyone put one in themselves? Looks like a good solid day or maybe 2 if the kids are screamin down my neck. Looks like this may be my next addition. Thanks ~Brad

Old 08-27-2007, 01:52 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

I installed mine in about 6 hours, but I also did a couple of more projects while I had everything disassembled. You can download the instructions from ITP's website and check the tools you'll need to do everything. I had some different size fittings than the instructions showed and I had to get a couple, but you may have everything necessary there already. Probably wouldn't hurt to get some extra sealing washers for the banjo bolts because they can get lost on the frame during the install if you've got fumble fingers like me. I've already had some experience with all the plumbing too, so you may want to plan 2 days, but it's really not that hard. It is easier if you remove the passenger side fender liner to get access to the right rear plug/banjo on the head, but I was told that after the fact and didn't do it that way. Long skinny arms and fingers helped a bunch though.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:13 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
Cool, thanks for the pointers Tim.

I plan on getting this from Matt, but is this enough, or is the FASS system a must to have as well? So, in a nutshell, the ITP RR fuel kit provides consistent fuel to all cylinders, and the FASS system separates air from the fuel and has higher volume of potential fuel deliverery because it has a higher flow fuel pump. Do either of these systems have redundant features? or are they totally complimentary? Thanks ~Brad

Old 08-27-2007, 03:16 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

They can be two completely independant systems or they can work together. There is no redundancy as far as I can tell. You can use the FASS as a lift pump to the stock pump or as a stand alone. The ITP regulated return system starts and stops at the secondary fuel filter. The FASS stops at the factory fuel pump. ITP has a detailed installation PDF on their website and Diesel Performance Products has detailed installation instructions on their website. Basically the only thing left when you get done installing both systems is the fuel lines from the factory pump to the secondary fuel filter.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:42 PM
paintdl
Freshman User
What does the FMC think of the RR fuel return, anyone have any experiance

Old 08-27-2007, 04:06 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
Thanks again Tim, I briefly read the ITP PDF earlier today, and I must say it is well done and VERY complete...My experience is when the directions are that good, the product itself has promise.

To further discuss these two systems, I had a recent thread about injector rattle, or another term I heard was Cackling.....
What system would help the most with my issue?? The RR kit to help deliver even fuel to all cylinders or the FASS to remove air and add available fuel pressure? Seem as if both are great ideas, but if the stock pump is stout enough for a tune of less than 500, then it would seem like the best choice (if I was only going to do one) would be the RR kit. Getting the fuel delivered to ALL the cylinders evenly and ON TIME seems priority #1. Thanks ~Brad

Old 08-27-2007, 04:13 PM
20046.0PSDX
Senior User
Brad,
You are right on the money, get the RR system as 1st priority and then the FASS only makes it work better.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:31 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by badbrad60
Cool, thanks for the pointers Tim.

I plan on getting this from Matt, but is this enough, or is the FASS system a must to have as well? So, in a nutshell, the ITP RR fuel kit provides consistent fuel to all cylinders, and the FASS system separates air from the fuel and has higher volume of potential fuel deliverery because it has a higher flow fuel pump. Do either of these systems have redundant features? or are they totally complimentary? Thanks ~Brad
depends on which FASS you get. you can get one that compliments the factory fuel pump, or in my case, one that has a higher output pump and replaces the factory HMFC

Old 08-27-2007, 05:52 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

LOL--I personally kinda like the cackle, although it may be detrimental. RR system would really help you more than the FASS if I had to pick one. I'm not sure about the factory pump supporting 500rwhp though. Best bet is to do both if you can.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:58 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
With the cackle come Lotsa smoke... some folks pay xtra for that!

Old 08-27-2007, 05:58 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
what is this cackle ? i dont think i'm familiar with that...

Quick Reply: fuel line crossover and regulated fuel return