Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 V10 Engine Noise Please Help

Old 04-18-2002, 01:33 PM
BillH
New User

On cold start in the morning I get engine noise. The noise sounds like a sticky valve and gets much worse in cold weather. After starting it quiets down in a few seconds then starts making a lounder ticking noise and then quiets down after 30 to 180 seconds.

I bought my 21' motorhome used with 18,000 miles and six months left on the warranty. I heard minor cold start noise after driving it for about 3,000 miles (5 months) and called Ford. After talking with Ford, thinking it wasn't a serious problem, I didn't bring it in. (Probably a big mistake.) I have been taking a long trip for the last 4 months and the engine noise has gotten worse but appears to have stabelized. I now have 32,000 miles on the vehicle and I am 5 months past the 36 month warranty. I'll be home in about 3 weeks and plan to bring it to my Ford dealer.

I have read that Ford had significant problems with cold start engine noise on early V10 engines. I would like to hear from anyone who had this problem. Please let me know how your problem was resolved. I would also appreaciate your advice. How can I tell if I have piston slap? Is this problem likely to get worse? Is there any hope that Ford will fix this problem under warranty? Thanks for your help

Old 04-18-2002, 03:56 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard lots of stories of early V-10's having piston slap, which I believe is actually wrist-pin slap. I've also heard from everybody that it's not a problem other than the noise. If it was ME, I'd be standing at my dealers service desk saying I called about this problem PRIOR to my warranty expiring, I want SOMETHING done. If nothing else, get it written down that you have concerns about it and were in to see the dealer about it. Ken

Old 04-19-2002, 04:37 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My truck had piston slap. My dealer replaced the engine. Basicly at cold starts, it would clatter for a minute or two. It would aslo make a rattle/clatter sound if you drove it right away before it warmed up as the rpms built before each shift. If you're out of warranty the I think you are out of luck.

Old 04-20-2002, 08:06 PM
Paarrothead
Senior User

I don't think it's piston slap, you say it usually starts loud, then quiets down after a few seconds, then gets louder, then softer again all within about a minute.

>The noise sounds like a sticky valve and gets much worse in cold weather. After starting it quiets down in a few seconds >then starts making a lounder ticking noise and then quiets down after 30 to 180 seconds.

If it was piston slap, or sloppy tolerances inside the engine, it would seemingly take a LOT longer for you to notice a change in the noise as the engine and all its internal parts, pistons, etc warmed up, a lot longer than just 30 seconds.

I've got a gut feeling this might be related to an oiling problem. Is your oil pressure OK, and is it stable? That's pretty much a bottom-line issue.

Are you using one of those "orange" oil filters? If so, or even if not, get rid of whatever's on there, and replace it with (my favorites) a NAPA or a Bosch PREMIUM oil filter. Some engines, for whatever reason, don't play well with an orange oil filter. Put some quality 10W-30 oil in there, not to start an off-topic oil discussion, but something good, Castrol regular or synthetic, Rotella, even Mobil 1.
By using the best oil you can, and a different oil filter, for even one time, you'll be able to (hopefully) eliminate lubrication as a possible issue.

Because of the low miles, I wouldn't expect the insides oil passages or lifters of that V-10 are sludged or gunked up.

I've been reading how Chevy has had huge problems with piston slap on some of their recent engines. One person took GM to court over it, the judge ruled that an intermittent noise that didn't impair the function or necessarily shorten the life of the engine (ha!) wasn't anything a person could collect damages for. The suit was dismissed.

That's my 2 cents...!

Let us know how it goes.

Old 04-26-2002, 12:15 PM
BillH
New User

Thanks for your suggestion. The oil pressure comes right up and stays there. The last time I changed the oil I used a Ford Oil filter and put in Mobile 1 synthetic oil. It didn't make much if any difference. Also I'm not burning any oil. I'm still hoping it is a sticky valve or something easy to fix. I'll be home in about two weeks and will bring it to the dealer and see what happens. It doesn't appear to be getting any worse, but I have been in warm weather for the last couple of weeks.