Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blank tank selector switch plate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blank tank selector switch plate?

Well I was going to mount the switch for my electric fan in the spot where my fuel tank selector switch would be, but stupid me didn't look behind the plate to make sure there was nothing there. Turns out there are some prongs on the back with a wiring harness that plugs in, I suppose they just put the tank selector harness on all the trucks regardless of number of tanks. So now I jacked up that blank plate and I can't find a replacement. Tried LMC truck and they show a grayed out picture of it but it's not listed in the parts list:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/0042.asp

Also tried national parts depot and ebay, no luck. I prefer not to scavenge the junk yards, I just don't have time. Any help here guys?

Also, anyone have a good idea of where to mount my switch? I have the electronic 4x4 switch so I can't put it there...

Old 08-19-2007, 04:21 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
junk yard will be your best bet.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Yeah I figure I could probably find one at a junkyard but amongst school and work and truck mods I just don't have time. Recoating and installing my headers next weekend will probably take the better portion of the weekend for me (I work slowly and meticulously )

Old 08-19-2007, 04:36 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
npd catalog has dash finish panel but it has hole for sel. switch open and does not list an insert.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:21 AM
KDPate
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about the panel below the column (knee bolster?).

Old 08-20-2007, 12:25 AM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Originally Posted by KDPate
What about the panel below the column (knee bolster?).
I thought about putting it there, but the surface of that panel is slightly curved, so the switch would not sit flush... I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:01 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Skandocious
So now I jacked up that blank plate and I can't find a replacement.
I think it is just a jumper to select the rear tank.
You could cut the plug off and use butt connectors to run the wiring to the rear tank and do away with the jumper.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:42 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
subford, i do not think he has two tanks if i read the post correctly.

skan, try a few sponsors like bronco junkyard and mike's truck salvage in the left column.

Last edited by quicklook2; 08-20-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Originally Posted by subford
I think it is just a jumper to select the rear tank.
You could cut the plug off and use butt connectors to run the wiring to the rear tank and do away with the jumper.
Thats a good idea Bill. Has anyone does this? I assume theres no problem with doing this?

But now that I think about it, I don't know if those pins are even connected back there, they might just be placeholders. I drilled right through the center of the top two pins so if they WERE connected, they are not anymore, and my truck is running fine. I'm pretty sure the top two pins weren't connected. I suppose I could just disconnect the harness and listen to see if my fuel pump primes when I turn the truck to ON.

Last edited by Skandocious; 08-20-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:08 AM
tomtoc
Posting Guru
i mounted my fog light switch where the hole was from the PO. it's on the left, just below the tank selector, on the little pop-out trim bezel. kinda behind the blinkers. i liked it there b/c if i need to get to the back or anything, i can just pop it out with my key and get to the wiring without dismantling the dash.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:34 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
Hi chris just take plug off back and jumper it /splice wires and use same panel if can . If not PM me . There is 2 sitting up road . Or Ill make a trip to wreckers . I just was there hour ago . Got interior parts for another FTE member. Good luck on search

Old 08-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Larry I was thinkin' about you for this plate. Seems like you have a lot of parts trucks, I wouldn't wanna put you out and send you to the wreckers to get a part for me but if you have one of these plates already (in decent shape) I would gladly pay you for it. Any such luck?

Old 08-20-2007, 04:10 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
Larry I was thinkin' about you for this plate. Seems like you have a lot of parts trucks, I wouldn't wanna put you out and send you to the wreckers to get a part for me but if you have one of these plates already (in decent shape) I would gladly pay you for it. Any such luck?
Its not putting me out >Any excuss to go to the yard or A drive is welcome.
The single tank truck are not common but I'll try to find one. No problem By end week hopefully if not sooner. Larry

Old 08-20-2007, 04:11 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
Its not putting me out >Any excuss to go to the yard or A drive is welcome.
The single tank truck are not common but I'll try to find one. No problem By end week hopefully if not sooner. Larry

Hey I know a guy that used the stock dual tank switch for front and rear auxillery lights.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Hey I know a guy that used the stock dual tank switch for front and rear auxillery lights.
Hey thats a neat trick! I'll actually probably do that when I finally get some fog lights on (after the winch bumper is finished). Maybe I could paint the switch black and stencil on a small ON and OFF on the rocker. But who knows how long it's going to be until I get that bumper/fog light project finished, I procrastinate a lot. For the time being I'd like to find a blank plate so I don't have a bit hole on my dash (as well as a big scrape from when the drill slipped).

Would be awesome if you could find a plate Larry, but please don't go to too much trouble. Thanks a lot buddy.

Last edited by Skandocious; 08-20-2007 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Blank tank selector switch plate?