General Automotive Discussion

the "Old Buggers" thread (air cooled VW Beetles)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the "Old Buggers" thread (air cooled VW Beetles)

So, how many FTE folk are fans of the Bug?

I know DONO is working on a Super Beetle of about the same year as the one I recently resurrected, and even though there are VW sites out there that are firmly established - I kind of wonder how FTE folk would treat the subject as opposed to what I've seen out there.

Besides, I'm just plain curious how many of us Ford types are attracted to these funky old machines.

~Wolfie

Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2007, 12:31 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greywolf
So, how many FTE folk are fans of the Bug?

I know DONO is working on a Super Beetle of about the same year as the one I recently resurrected, and even though there are VW sites out there that are firmly established - I kind of wonder how FTE folk would treat the subject as opposed to what I've seen out there.

Besides, I'm just plain curious how many of us Ford types are attracted to these funky old machines.
~Wolfie
Correction: Mine is a standard ..... no struts for me.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:39 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My good friend in high school had a Super Beetle with a full baja kit.

I thought it was pretty sweet (blue metallic) until he painted it to look like herbie the love bug, then it looked like a piece of ****.

It was a money pit too, I think he drove it to school 4 or 5 times, the rest of the time it was broke down. He replaced the alternator twice and had a bunch of other problems with it.

Still a neat little car though.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:48 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to get my hands on a '67 Bug or a '71/'72 Super Beetle.

Neat little cars.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
'71 and '72 are the "in between" Supers. They had the independent front suspension (NOT FOR OFFROAD!) and the longer nose, but the windshield was still old style. A bit more rare than other supers and only made for two years. You can spot them by the spare tire being laid flat instead of vertical, it has mcpherson struts, there are grill slots under the front bumper, but they don't have a bubble windshield.

I think they're one of the easiest Bugs to work on.

Beware of the "Idiot Book" by John Muir though. It's entertaining, but not the best shop manual. Best way to put it is there is a lot of info there but it's scattered all through it and not necessarily complete.

A '71 or '72 standard bug is also a nice prize, but for offroad you want a torsion tube front end.

My buddy across the street has an outright Baja Bug, and another idea is that the IFS rear end (REAR end) is prefered for offroad too. It keeps the rear wheels straight up and down, instead of them having a tendency to tuck under the body or pigeon-toe at full extension. You can spot those by the axles having two CV joints per side.

I just want a fun high mileage toy to get to work with.

Last edited by Greywolf; 08-15-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:16 PM
tewferford
Post Fiend
I gotta say, all the bugs I have had, early 60s to mid 70s were a blast. I had a 64 that spent more time on the trails than it did on the road. All the bugs around here are pretty much rust buckets. The ocean on one side and the sound on the other, plus all the salted roads did them in. They were definitely fun tho. I have to say, I really don't miss those heater boxes. Brrrr.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:21 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Bugs are cool, I had a couple, they were fun cars. I would like to have another one and do a baja bug for off-road.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:24 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
I always liked the bug. Learned how to drive stick when I was 12 with gramp's 68 Beetle. The liquor store I worked at had a 55 Beetle that I liked to drive and maintain, until one of the clowns rolled it. Then they got a lime green 68 I think, blew up the rectifier jumpstarting the 6V system Man did that engine turn fast.. Learned how to fix bugs at the liquor store.

Only thing about bugs that bothers me is how close your face is to the glass. Otherwise they are fun to drive.

I would love to buy one to restore one of these days. I should have bought that 54 right hand drive with the flip out turn signals I saw at a VW place way back in the 80s. It was beautiful. That place specialized in tearing bugs down to the last bolt and rebuilding it, same price as a new Hyundai back then. Beautiful cars. Wish I had bought one.

One of these days.

Jim Henderson

Old 08-15-2007, 06:36 PM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by wendell borror
Bugs are cool, I had a couple, they were fun cars. I would like to have another one and do a baja bug for off-road.
I forgot all about the dune buggy I had too. Man that thing floated on the beach. Used to have a (I think) 68 Transporter. I would air down to 10 psi, and it cruised the beach without a problem. Fun times.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:28 PM
seadoo
Senior User
My sister used to have a 67 Bug that was pretty decent, and a 70 Ghia convertible that I used to borrow lots when I was in college. The Ghia was a great little car in the snow, never could get the thing stuck.

Dad still has a 70 Squareback, hasn't driven in for a few years as it has a charging issue. Trying to get him to sell it before it starts going downhill.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
I just got back "attempting" the Rubicon Trail in Mad Max. I made it up about 400 yards before I shattered the pass side valve cover on a rock. I took some in-buggy vids if you want to view them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra9O-gyV-uE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIdi5An9g6w

Old 08-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Oh yeah, here's a pic of Max. Since this pic was taken I lost a wheel, and when I say lost I mean I looked for 15 mins and gave up. I've since put new link pins and new BFG Mud Terrains up front. They're the smallest you can buy at 215 75 15's. It looks and handles sweet.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:59 PM
edgl
Elder User
Learned to drive a stick shift in the 60s, in a VW. I have owned many. There will never be a small car like it again. Simple, and easy to work on.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:24 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
Through the years I've had a '56, a '57, a '66, a '68 & some other one that I don't remember the year of. They're great little cars. I wish I had one now to go back and forth to work in. I never did like to scrape the frost off of the inside of the windshield with a credit card while driving in the Chicago winters, though.

MR

Old 08-16-2007, 07:07 AM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MrOldV8
Through the years I've had a '56, a '57, a '66, a '68 & some other one that I don't remember the year of. They're great little cars. I wish I had one now to go back and forth to work in. I never did like to scrape the frost off of the inside of the windshield with a credit card while driving in the Chicago winters, though.

MR
When ever you had to stop at a traffic light. You were supposed to hold your breath or the windshield would frezze.

Quick Reply: the "Old Buggers" thread (air cooled VW Beetles)