1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diesel to gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:52 PM
CruiserClass
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace!
How much of your time is spent getting a load moving? A 5.4L SD will get any load moving that the SD is rating for pulling.

The Banks stuff is for the older V10, not 2005+, which has more power. Also, the V10 came stock with 4.30 gears which would have 5% more torque than with the rear end ratio they used. Also, the transmission is the older one. I would imagine the difference would be less if they were using a more current model.
Ok, that's all probably true. It's also true that a Chevette and a Corvette will both do 0-60mph but it's not true they do it equally. Can you tow with the 5.4? Sure. Will it handle the weight as easily as the V-10 or diesel? I'm going to guess no.

Obviously the minority of your time is spent accelerating your load. Initially pulling away and passing, plus hills. However that's where the power difference is noticible. If a locomotive got the load rolling for you, a much smaller amount of force could be used to keep it at a steady speed.

Finally, the charts were for the older V-10s, but also for the older diesels. It is my understanding that the new 6.4 makes better power than the 7.3 and 6.0, as well.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:03 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ryaneverk2
What made it hard to endure?
Have to drive over 50 miles (round-trip) to get "good" fuel... even farther to get the best fuel.
Winter was a real PITA with block heater and grille cover (or no cab heat).
Fuel additives all year long
Engine noise/smoke/smell
No matter how careful, you just can't help but get diesel on hands, shoes &/or clothes- so you "get" to smell it all the time after you fill up.
Barrels of oil (used & new) sitting around.
Getting stuck in the field... land here is bottomless clay. All the ranchers have at least two trucks- one for the road (usually diesel) and one for doing work in the field. The "field truck" is always a gasser as they are much lighter and don't sink.

Some of those are specific to my location. Yet, this is where I live and it makes "enduring" diesel ownership unpleasant. I still have a diesel-powered tractor just because you can't buy a new one with a gas engine! So I'm still enduring some of the pain like not being able to get out into the field if it's slightly wet.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CruiserClass

Obviously the minority of your time is spent accelerating your load. Initially pulling away and passing, plus hills. However that's where the power difference is noticible. If a locomotive got the load rolling for you, a much smaller amount of force could be used to keep it at a steady speed.

Finally, the charts were for the older V-10s, but also for the older diesels. It is my understanding that the new 6.4 makes better power than the 7.3 and 6.0, as well.
I haven't done the testing and don't have dyno numbers for my truck, a 2005+ V10; however, I *think* you somewhat prove my point. I think accelerating up a hill the V10 has more available power in the proper rpm range than the prior diesels (7.3L and 6.0L).

I think where the diesel starts to drop off the V10 doesn't and therefore I am able to accelerate longer up that hill than the diesel. I could be completely wrong, and may well be, but I think diesel drivers tend to think higher RPMs are bad in some way and apply that to a gas engine when in fact low rpms generally are where a diesel will have more power and as the rpms climb the V10 is actually putting more power to the ground at a higher speed and rpm.

As an example, this is a shootout that includes a gas v diesel comparison. The diesel is the 6.4L with more power than the 7.3 or the 6.0L. First is a 7% grade, then a 15% grade. You'll see, on the 15% grade, the V10 actually is travelling faster after only 820 feet, "All the diesels got the jump on their gas counterparts, but diesel performance started to level out from the middle of the run. As the oil burners' velocities went steady state, the Ford and GM gassers' speed curves gained altitude all the way to the end, and did, or would, beat the diesels on this hill, while Dodge's diesel and gas speed curves stayed parallel to each other from start to finish.... Ford's F-250 and F-350 finally developed some unique performance patterns, even though they are using the same 5-speed TorqueShift transmission. But look at how well the V10 was running at the 250-meter finish line versus the V8 Power Stroke. Again the gasser was traveling faster than the compression ignition motor. The F-350's speedo barely inched up from 100-m to 250-m, while the F-250 gained over 6-mph."

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007...otout4mpg.html

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007...otout7mpg.html

Old 08-16-2007, 03:39 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace!
I think where the diesel starts to drop off the V10 doesn't and therefore I am able to accelerate longer up that hill than the diesel.
And a gasser is able to hold that gear much farther up the RPM range, while the diesel will shift into a higher gear and lose the torque multiplication of the lower gear. Tranny gear, that is.

Stock for stock, anyway ...

Old 08-16-2007, 05:11 PM
sglynx1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I know is that the v-10 is garbage. The diesel owns it in every possible category. The diesel even smells better. The PSD's will even make you a cup of hot joe for those cold mornings. The v-10 gets worse gas mileage, worse re-sale value, worse capability, and worse everything. The v-10 doesn't even deserve to be in a Ford truck beside the PSD filled SD's. It is an embarrasment to trucks in general. The only thing a v-10 does better than a PSD is use more gas. It does that well. Other than that, it is a slug that cannot tow even 4k without straining and grunting (almost popping a head gasket in the process). If they made a v-16 maybe it would compete with the PSD, but until then... the v-10 should not even be an option.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:03 PM
fn250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I owned an '03 v10 and loved it. The truck was very good to me, dependable lots of power, and could tow very well. I now own an '05 6.0 PSD and I'm equally impressed. The PSD has a bit of lag when steppin on the pedal, but the overall power really makes up for it, and the gas mileage is certainly better with a diesel. Bottom line both are very good dependable engines with lots of power. Get what fits your lifestyle and budget. Congrats on the new truck.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:17 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by sglynx1
All I know is that the v-10 is garbage. The diesel owns it in every possible category. The diesel even smells better. The PSD's will even make you a cup of hot joe for those cold mornings. The v-10 gets worse gas mileage, worse re-sale value, worse capability, and worse everything. The v-10 doesn't even deserve to be in a Ford truck beside the PSD filled SD's. It is an embarrasment to trucks in general. The only thing a v-10 does better than a PSD is use more gas. It does that well. Other than that, it is a slug that cannot tow even 4k without straining and grunting (almost popping a head gasket in the process). If they made a v-16 maybe it would compete with the PSD, but until then... the v-10 should not even be an option.
sglynx1, you are a funny man.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:36 AM
ramblincowboy
Tuned
Originally Posted by redford
Good discussion, but I am not sure that you can base the decsion on mileage, maintenance or fuel cost.

Over the past 6-8 months diesel has been as expensive or more expensive than 87 octane gas in this area. I know it is cheaper in some places but you can't count on that always being that way.

Based on preliminary postings, the new 6.4L PSD is not getting very good fuel mileage. Maybe it's the new ULSD fuel, maybe it's the new engine, maybe you need 50,000 miles to break it in and get better mileage, but right now it's getting about the same as a gasser would get.

A PSD will cost you more to get into it, but you'll get that back at resale. I've heard maintenance cost discussions go both ways (PSD is more expensive for oil and filters but does not have plugs and COPS) so I suspect that is a "crap shoot" also.

So, basically you're left with personal preference at that point.
What redford said.

I think maybe the question the original poster was getting at was are they going to be disappointed in the V10 after having owned the diesel. I don't think so, both are very capable trucks.

I've had both, liked both alot, would buy either one again depending on the situation. There are lots of variables, but the bottom line is buy whichever one you like.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:16 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am buying the v10 because of reliability. My present truck(2006 F 350 cc dually PSD) has been on the wrecker for a total of 3 times, very embarrasing. My previous truck 2000 F 350 cc v 10, never had a breakdown, never even a leak(i traded it in with 170,000 miles on it) My v 10 pulled my 7200lb. camper pretty well. My PSD pulls it better up hills, on flat ground it is a toss up. But I need a dependable truck and I know I will get this with a v10. The diesel has been a dissapointment to me.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:07 PM
350steve
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dualwheels66
I am buying the v10 because of reliability. My present truck(2006 F 350 cc dually PSD) has been on the wrecker for a total of 3 times, very embarrasing. My previous truck 2000 F 350 cc v 10, never had a breakdown, never even a leak(i traded it in with 170,000 miles on it) My v 10 pulled my 7200lb. camper pretty well. My PSD pulls it better up hills, on flat ground it is a toss up. But I need a dependable truck and I know I will get this with a v10. The diesel has been a dissapointment to me.
I have the same truck.abs light on that it.no problems

06 6.0 cc drw 4x4

Old 08-17-2007, 09:01 PM
dlanc001
New User
You've gotten a lot of technical comparison here which might help you. On the other hand I can tell you that my family has owned every model of Ford truck ever made, and I personally have owned most from my 1950 F1 to my current 2 super duties and both are V-10's. One has 240,000 miles on it. In my experience (and I don't tow all the time) the V-10 has been the best engine I've ever had for all around driving especially if I spend much time in town.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:20 AM
sach394
New User
SACH394 I have owned a 7.3& a6.0. Towed 20,000 miles with 7.3 20,000 miles with6.0. Now own 2006 V10. Power towing slight edge to 6.0. Economy edge diesel. Driveability, noise, cold weather use, smoothness, serviceability, vibrasion, harsness, no contest V10. Will not go back to diesel. Very little cost difference per mile.