6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Quick Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 03:14 PM
11B_Paratrooper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Question...

Ok I'm new to posting on this forum but I have been lurking around for a bit but I happen to have a quick question about the new 6.4 08

I want to know how it sounds.. Does it actually sound like a Diesel or more like a Gasser? Sorry I can't tell myself due to the fact that I'm deployed and am looking into buying either a 07 F250 or an 08 F250, but Im also looking at addons possiblities and performance. So which would be the better choice.. The 6.0 which I know can be upgraded without violation of warranties or the 6.4 which seems everything will violate the warranty. I really love the rattle sound of a Diesel and the possibility of the Turbo Whistle but Ive heard that since the DPF or whatever prevents much of any noise out of the exhaust without total removal.. which is bad... so If someone can help me that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-12-2007, 03:32 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
The motor itself still sounds like a diesel (slightly quieter than a 6.0, and in cab noise is equal to that of a gasser) and when you're driving you get a great turbo whistle from the engine. Mine has been getting louder ever since I've gotten it, guess it's just the motor loosening up. I've got the 6-speed and when I shift it sounds like I have a blow-off valve, love it. But near the exhaust the only sound you hear is air coming out, hardly any noise.

There are tuners expected to come out soon that will allow the removal of the exhaust system without resulting in CELs or constant regen. Warranty issues can come up, but I've been told by the service manager at the dealership that if you program the computer back to stock and put the original exhaust system back on you most likely can get any repair needed. They can tell if you have gotten a tuner but it takes a lot of work to determine this.

Here is a video of one, recorded at the front and at the tail pipe, gives you a good idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrB8FcYf0-8

Good luck, these are some amazing trucks.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:44 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

Any Diesel engine regardless if it is a 7.3 6.0 or 6.4 a programmer will cause the dealer to not want to warrenty the engine.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:19 PM
11B_Paratrooper
New User
Ok, so i guess the main thing is, since i Love the rattle, should I go with an 07.. or would it be pretty much the same with the 07 and 08 untill the warranty is out to have it sound like i want.. like can i get more turbo sound out of the 07 or the 08... Basically im wanting to do stuff do my truck without screwing myself over which would be the better choice.. I Love the look of the 08 its just I love my brothers 01 the way it sounds and rides... So Basically from buying the truck would i be able to add tuners/exhaust/intakes to the 07 or the 08 or neither... I really want an 08 but im afraid that i wont be able to do stuff to it that i would with an 07, so I guess which would I be happy with.. I hate dillema's like these...

The truck wont be used for much towing right now maybe later so that may also determing which truck i should go with.

Last edited by 11B_Paratrooper; 08-12-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:56 PM
bigblock_drock
Elder User
the same warranty deal goes for the 07 just like the 08'. go test drive an 08 i bet ull like it more then ur borhters!

you could always get a V10

Old 08-12-2007, 05:57 PM
11B_Paratrooper
New User
Originally Posted by bigblock_drock
the same warranty deal goes for the 07 just like the 08'. go test drive an 08 i bet ull like it more then ur borhters!

you could always get a V10
If I could test drive one i would... cept Not too many Ford Dealerships overseas while deployed

Old 08-12-2007, 06:18 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
I agree with BigBlock, you're just gonna have to test drive one. Pretty soon you're gonna be able to hear an 08' with a strait pipe, hopefully I'm one of the firsts. Just a waiting game right now for the tuners . As far as the turbo noise goes, I think the 6.4 will beat the 6.0 hands down once you get it strait piped. I've heard one 6.4 with no DPF and it sounded awsome.

You're gonna be able to do anything to the 08' that you could do to an 07'. It's just gonna take a few more months for the aftermarket to develop their products. The 08's have a lot more technology put into them, so they should produce some major power with some tuning. And if you like the way your borthers 01' rides wait untill you get into one of these new ones!

Old 08-12-2007, 09:17 PM
jam105
Senior User
Originally Posted by 11B_Paratrooper
If I could test drive one i would... cept Not too many Ford Dealerships overseas while deployed
Thank you for your service. To old to go again or I'd be there with you..Wait until you get back and drive an 08..The ride is so much better as well as the power.....Better quality truck!.

Prayers sent your way for your safe return home!

Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 AM
11B_Paratrooper
New User
Well it seems you can't find a 2007 anymore with what i want, nor can you build one.. so i guess its off to the 08 then...

Old 08-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Pwarrenn
Senior User
If you want all the mods you are talking about I would look for a used truck without a warranty..Then you have nothing to lose with all the mods you want ..But my 08 turbos sounds Awesome..I asked the salesman about tuners and he warned me I would be smart until after the warranty was up..I like it better than my brothers 02 7.3 with all the mods..Also 6.0 325HP-570-TQ stock..6.4 350HP-650TQ..