1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newcomer with concern about low sulphur fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:39 PM
rustyf
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newcomer with concern about low sulphur fuel

I'm in the market for an F-350 for towing my jeeps. This will be my first diesel/serious truck. From anecdotal research and advice from my mechanic, I've targetted the super duty (presumably y'all would agree), and particularly (please feel free to comment) a 100000 miles or less 2000 to 2003 7.3 powerstroke 4x4 dually crewcab (my kids are both 6 footers). My preference is for a manual trans., and I want leather. My main concern is how the new/incoming low sulphur diesel fuel will run in the older engines not specifically designed for it. Any advice would be appreciated. Rusty

Old 08-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I assume you are talking about the new Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel (ULSD) fuel. There have been quite a few threads about it down in the 6.0L forum. The ,ajority feel that there should not be any issues running the new fuel. The only think that a lot of peopl ehave decided to do is run a fuel additive like Stanadyne or Power Service. When they make ULSD some of the lubrication qualities are lessened when compared to LSD. Most fuel suppliers put in additives that help make up for the loss, but a lot of people feel more comfortable adding some of thier own so they are sure it is in there.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:54 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Rusty, first off, welcome to the site! It's a great place for info.

Next, Welcome to the world of diesels. I was in the same place you were in back in Feb. I was looking and found (finally) what I wanted. A 2003 King Ranch crew cab 4x4 short bed with the auto and the 6.0L. It had 34K on it back in Feb, it has 49K on it now and I've not had a single powertrain issue with it. I love this truck!

I too was warned to stay away from the 6.0s but here's what I found out. The 6.0s are either really good or they were duds... Now that being said, when you find a truck you are interested in, ask for an OASIS report. If you buy the truck from a Ford dealer, it should be no problem. An OASIS report will list all warranty work done on that truck since it was produced. Obviously if you buy the truck from a non-Ford dealer they can't help you but there is a spot in the 6.0 Forums to request an OASIS report.

That OASIS report should be the determining factor in buy or pass it by. If the report shows no (or minor) powertrain repair, it's probably a great 6.0...seriously consider the truck. If the report shows many or repeated repair issues on the powertrain, pass it by and keep looking.....remember, this is one guys opinion. Ask around but you'll probably find a consensus.

As for the ULSD, not a problem. I've got one of the really early 2003 6.0s and all I can get is the ULSD. I use DK with every fill and she purrs right along.

Good Luck Pal!

Joe

Old 08-01-2007, 02:57 PM
rustyf
Freshman User
good feedback - thanx to both of you for the quick responses! Rusty

Old 08-01-2007, 04:03 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Also, don't be afraid of an automatic, especially the 5R110W transmission for towing. It is an excellent tranny. You'll love the tow/haul mode. Ford rates the towing capacity of the automatics above the manual transmission trucks.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:15 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
WELCOME to FTE!

Like others said, don't be afraid of the 6.0 after getting an OASIS report.

But you definitely can't go wrong with the 7.3 either.

Browse the diesel forums, lower down the list. Lots of great information is stored there, and lots of knowledgable people that will answer every question you ever had about ULSD but don't have the time to come to the Superduty forum

Remember to come back and tell us about your "new" Ford

Old 08-01-2007, 06:34 PM
SPEC
Junior User
Old 08-01-2007, 09:31 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
I am not a huge fan of my 01 F250 trans. I needs another gear. That is why I would stick with the 6.0. You cant to w/o overdrive or it turns about 3000. My buddy keeps telling me I cant tow in od. My response is I am willing to tear the tranny out so I can put in an aftermarket w another gear (Do they make one?)

Old 08-01-2007, 10:52 PM
99whiteford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is his reason for not towing in overdrive?In the past with some of the earlier overdrive transmissions if you towed in overdrive you could expect problems.(Especially if you owned a GM Product )I have a 99 superduty with the 7.3 PS and I never take my out of overdrive.
I tow a 32'foot fifth wheel toy hauler that usually weighs in around 10,000 pounds.I have just shy of 190000 miles on my truck and other than a solenoid pack in the trans I have never had any problems.If you concerned about your high rpms just change you rear end ratio and your problems is solved.I,m not really sure but I would say this is a heck of a lot cheaper that a new trans.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:25 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by sflem849
I am not a huge fan of my 01 F250 trans. I needs another gear. That is why I would stick with the 6.0. You cant to w/o overdrive or it turns about 3000. My buddy keeps telling me I cant tow in od. My response is I am willing to tear the tranny out so I can put in an aftermarket w another gear (Do they make one?)

The answer is NO. The 4R100 trans is a 4spd...and in the aftermarket world does not get a 5th gear.

There is no reason you should not be towing in OD...unless you are hitting hills and the tranny keeps searching gears. If you are on the flats...run in OD all the time. No harm to the 4R100 tranny.

Instead of changing gears, I would just install larger tires. Does the samething...and is a lot cheaper.

biz

Old 08-01-2007, 11:31 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by rustyf
I'm in the market for an F-350 for towing my jeeps. This will be my first diesel/serious truck. From anecdotal research and advice from my mechanic, I've targetted the super duty (presumably y'all would agree), and particularly (please feel free to comment) a 100000 miles or less 2000 to 2003 7.3 powerstroke 4x4 dually crewcab (my kids are both 6 footers). My preference is for a manual trans., and I want leather. My main concern is how the new/incoming low sulphur diesel fuel will run in the older engines not specifically designed for it. Any advice would be appreciated. Rusty
Welcome to FTE!

You are on the right track. The '00-'03 7.3L PSD is an excellent engine choice. However...finding one with leather and a 5spd will be difficult. The mileage you are after is possible, but most 7.3L PSD owners really run'em. So...that will be hard to find as well...with 100000 or less.

As for the Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel (ULSD) fuel, No worries. Just make sure your 7.3L PSD is in top running order...and you will be fine.

Good luck...and do post pics when you buy your SD!

biz

Old 08-02-2007, 05:34 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
The answer is NO. The 4R100 trans is a 4spd...and in the aftermarket world does not get a 5th gear.

There is no reason you should not be towing in OD...unless you are hitting hills and the tranny keeps searching gears. If you are on the flats...run in OD all the time. No harm to the 4R100 tranny.

Instead of changing gears, I would just install larger tires. Does the samething...and is a lot cheaper.

biz
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! That stinks nobody makes a five/six speed aftermarket. Maybe someday. That is what I tell him, it will shift when it needs to shift! That is why it is "automatic" I am looking at putting a leveling kit and 35" Buckshot Mudders on it when the BFG AT's wear out. I dont know how well the Buckshots last, but nobody has them in Wisconsin and they look cool bc of that. And the BFG's are good, but pricey when it comes time to replace.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:44 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by sflem849
Actually, the answer is yes.....well, sort of. I think this is what you want.

http://www.gearvendors.com/f2wd4s.html

Old 08-02-2007, 11:01 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by redford
Actually, the answer is yes.....well, sort of. I think this is what you want.

http://www.gearvendors.com/f2wd4s.html

Actually...the answer is still NO. The gear vendor is an add-on separate component and gives 8 gears...and if you open up the 4R100...it still is a 4spd. No five speed is available in the 4R100 tanny...period. Sorry...but them the facts.

Now...that is not to say the gear vendor is not a good product. Lots of FTE folks run them...and love them too!

biz

Old 08-05-2007, 06:04 PM
RogueSpear2023
Elder User
The no overdrive thing comes from smaller trucks i.e. explorers, rangers, not sure about the F-150s. If you tow with your 4.0L v6 explorer in overdrive you will blow the tranny guaranteed, my friend has blown three, I keep telling him to turn the overdrive off, but he seems to think that better mpg is cheaper than a new transmission every 4-5000 miles. But as far as SD go pull away with OD, unless in the hills or mountains; and it starts searching for gears.

As for as 7.3l, there great, I love mine. The 6.0's are Ok, if you get a good one. But a 7.3 will tow anything you need. I drive mine not towing, most of the time, but when I need to tow something nothing can compare. That and I love the torque and solid front axel when I want to go off road.

Quick Reply: newcomer with concern about low sulphur fuel