Notices

Bed mounted winch

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:23 PM
RedZerOne
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed mounted winch

Anyone know where I can find a mount to install a winch in the bed of my F-150? Make pulling a broke down car onto a trailer alot easier then with a come-along.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:50 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 854 Likes on 772 Posts
I welded a hook on my trailer, that I slide my winch on when needed.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd also mount it to the trailer

Old 07-30-2007, 06:25 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Warn Works winches have a receiver hitch plate, so you could mount a 2" receiver anywhere and run power to it.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:48 PM
v10lampert
Junior User
do you think the sheet metal on the bed right up against the cab might be strong enough to hold a winch? im thinking that it would be easier to haul my snowmobile up into the bed with a winch. opinions?

Old 08-16-2007, 08:03 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 854 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by v10lampert
do you think the sheet metal on the bed right up against the cab might be strong enough to hold a winch? im thinking that it would be easier to haul my snowmobile up into the bed with a winch. opinions?
No it wouldn't. You could drill a hole in the floor of the bed and mount a hook for a pulley arrangement ("****** block") or the winch.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:17 AM
v10lampert
Junior User
thanks for the advice. i just want to find a way where i dont really have to lift it up bacuse the bed is about 5 feet off the ground and i dont want to drive it in because it ruins the bed and the ski

Old 08-16-2007, 01:46 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
depending on your winch and what your pulling, you might get away with chains to the tiedown points.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:47 AM
JOE-M
Elder User
Originally Posted by v10lampert
You could build a mount out of channel iron to mount the winch to. I would run it from frame rail to frame rail across the bottom of the bed and the use u-bolts through the bed to tie it to the frame. It wouldn't be easily removable but you could build one to hold. If you don't want it to show, mount a plate under the bed and tie it into the frame. You should have enough room over the drive shaft.
Joe

Old 11-12-2007, 06:59 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Warn, I believe it was, used to make a roll bar with a winch mount built in on it. I've searched for info on it but haven't been able to find it. Maybe someone else has seen this.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ncranchero
Warn, I believe it was, used to make a roll bar with a winch mount built in on it. I've searched for info on it but haven't been able to find it. Maybe someone else has seen this.
Since I had looked for this before, to no avail, I e-mailed Warn and Rich Kadwell,
their Technical Customer Service Rep., promptly sent me this. I'll have to say, I didn't know if they'd even reply to my inquiry but they did in short order. Just another reason Warn is tops in their field I guess.

It was called the Warn Power Bar but has been discontinued. The page shown is from their 1994 catalog. At least I know for sure I didn't dream this up!
Name:  WarnPowerBarscan.jpg
Views: 6287
Size:  155.7 KB

Old 09-24-2009, 11:31 PM
rman
New User
I know this is an old thread, but I may have a solution to this, just for us Ford guys. Ford is unique in the fact that they bolt their truck boxes to the frame from the top down. I do not beleive that Dodge does this, and I know that GM does not for sure. Could a guy not bolt a winch mounting plate to the bed of the truck using these bolts? I know I remeber seeing a commercial where they hung a truck in the air using these bolts. I'm taling about a 2000 pound winch here. I think it would work just fine.

R.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 AM
slickrock01
Senior User
I am in Vermont for a bit and the game wardens were winching a moose off the road into their chevy PU, they have winches mounted in the beds, against the 'headboard', the front of the box, it looks like they also have holes and a plate in the bed floor for the mounting there as well.

from what I saw it looked like a plate inside and out of the bed that's permanently mounted as a base for the winch, the wardens are right up the road from where we are for the winter I can go take pics if you want. it looked like a neat idea to me, thats why i was looking at the set up closer.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:22 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I put one together to pull riding mowers into my truck. I have a small business on the side repairing and maintaining outdoor power equipment.
I found a BackRack in excellent condition super cheap ($40.00) on craigslist and bought a Harbor Freight 3k remote controlled winch for $27 off eBay. Turned out that the tool box arms for the BackRack (which I didn't need, but came with the purchase) were channel of a size that fit perfectly over the lower cross member of the BackRack. I just bolted the winch to two pieces I cut to fit and hard-wired the winch to my battery. It lifts right off when I need to set it aside once the tractor is in the bed of my truck (I have a SB and need its full length to fit the tractor and my ramps without the nose of the tractor hitting the winch)
I'll snap a few photos of it later today if the rain lets up.
I had originally figured on making a crossbar to mount the winch, but when I found that backrack, I couldn't pass up the deal.
It works great! I even used the winch to extract my dad's car from the mud one time. As long as the cable pull angle is downward-which it is every time I load or unload a tractor-the winch stays securely attached to the rail.
Let me try to get some pics today for ya.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:49 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here are some pics of my little set-up.
I move a lot of riding mowers. I used to walk them up the ramps in gear and manhandle them up the ramps when they wouldn't run. But, as Chief Lone Watie says in Outlaw Josie Wales, "Old age is creeping up on me" and I am leery of overexerting myself and hearing that dreadful "pop" in a shoulder or knee running one of these things up the ramps.
The winch takes a little longer to load with, considering the cable runout and wind-in times, but is a jillion times safer and less stressful.

Sorry about the quality. I have a crappy cell phone since I tend to run them through the washing machine.

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Bed mounted winch