6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Can these items be added?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 05:45 PM
bobbyc03
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can these items be added?

Hi,
The company I work for just bought a 2008 f250 regular cab 4x4 6.4l. I'ave only been driving it for one day, but WOW what a nice truck! The axle is 3.73, but doesn't have the limited slip differential. It's going to see lots of dirt roads going up hills to communication towers. Just this morning I went up to one that is a rough road, but not too steep. I didn't have to put it in 4wd, but I could feel the wheel spinning in the rear.

I did some research on another f250 at another dealership, and it is $300 more for the LSD on the window sticker.

Is it possible, and how much for parts/labor are we talking to add it after the purchase? Would it be better to go aftermarket?

Lastly, on the way home I passed a 08 CC F250 with the orange lights on the top of the cab and on the sideview mirrors. During researching my companies truck, I though only dualies, and commerical (cab & chassis) F350's and above had the orange lights on top of the cab. My company will be installing a utility/service body on the truck sooner or later, but I would love to be able to add these cab lights to our F250. Is that a possibility? I'm thinking maybe the wiring for it is up there from the factory? Hopefully it wouldn't require the HD alternator, because our F250 doesn't have it.

Thanks for any insight! Love the truck.
Bob C

Old 07-29-2007, 08:17 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cab lights are avaliable on any superduty. Mirror lights are also avaliable on the powerfold option. There are aftermarket cab lights avaliable but it can be a real pain to install if you don't have experience in body modification and wiring. Aftermarket cab lights are known to leak unless installed perfectly, and getting the wires up there can be very hard. The good news is you wouldn't need the heavy duty alternator, they're just 3 watts each.

As far as your open differentials go, I'm in the same boat with my 350 dually. Fords are equipped with the popular Dana series axles, which means it wouldn't be too hard to get a set of air lockers for them. I've decided for me, since I do a lot of work off-road in deep sand, it would be better to put a set of lockers in instead of converting to limited slip.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:03 AM
bobbyc03
New User
Hi,
Thanks for the info. I did some research online, and it seems the 08 250 uses a 10.5" rear axle, not dana. I did some pricing online and LSD's seem quite expensive, and then you have labor.

I think we'll just get by for now without one. Maybe once the bed comes off, and the utility body goes on, there will be more weight on the rear wheels. I can always hop out and lock the hubs for 4wd also.

Thanks again,
Bob C

Old 08-01-2007, 02:07 PM
hammer toe
Freshman User
I have a reg cab f250 6.4 diesel also. the only problem i have found is how to replace the fuel filter on the rail under the drivers seat. have you checked yours out. you will see a wire harness across the fuel filter and there is no room to remove the cap or filter. i've told my dealer i'll be in for a oil change soon and i have a surprise for him and need a answer. maybe yours will be different.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 PM
bobbyc03
New User
I haven't checked that out yet. Will do soon.
I got the OK from work to order the clearance lights. Got the whole set and harness from Ebay for $85 shipped. Keeping an eye out for the stock CD player as well. All the truck has is a am/fm radio.

Other than that, I'm interested in getting the springs from a 08 F250 4x4 with camper package. Supposedly the front springs are a little beefier, and the rear springs have an auxillary spring. Will be looking for a rear swaybar as well; figure it might be a good idea with a 8' service body full of tools...?
Bob C

Old 08-07-2007, 12:03 AM
rrock724
Cross-Country
bobby, why didnt your company order the truck with all these options when they bought it?
they should have come to the person that is going to be using it the most and ask them what they needed and/or wanted

Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 AM
NS F250
Elder User
Originally Posted by bobbyc03
I haven't checked that out yet. Will do soon.
I got the OK from work to order the clearance lights. Got the whole set and harness from Ebay for $85 shipped. Keeping an eye out for the stock CD player as well. All the truck has is a am/fm radio.

Other than that, I'm interested in getting the springs from a 08 F250 4x4 with camper package. Supposedly the front springs are a little beefier, and the rear springs have an auxillary spring. Will be looking for a rear swaybar as well; figure it might be a good idea with a 8' service body full of tools...?
Bob C
Why an F250 for a service body? I have been looking at getting a truck with a service body on it, and I can tell you these things are HEAVY. With an F250 the body it self will eat up most of the payload rating.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:48 PM
bobbyc03
New User
Hi,
They went with a basic work truck; nothing fancy. If I was in charge of getting it, I would have ordered what I wanted (or think it needs) such as camper package and limited slip diff; and maybe CD player. From what I've been told, they got a great deal on this truck from a large fleet dealership, and it had everything my business wanted, except a service body. All they really were looking for was a white ford 4x4 diesel with low miles. I'm just stoked they bought new instead of used. Guess the dealerships said there's no such thing as a used low mile service truck (especially 4x4 diesel).

I think the F250 will accept a 8' service body just fine. I don't have anything heavy to put in the boxes or bed. I see all kinds of them driving around town and they don't seem to be sagging in the rear. Especially if I can locate somebody with the camper package (supposedly heavier duty springs) that ended up putting a lift on their F250 and took off the rear swaybar. I'm thinking that's a stretch, and I might have to try to buy a swaybar from ford parts.

I'm a tower climber and antenna installer; and I've been working out of a 1999 jeep cherokee for 7 years. I'm so stoked to have a work truck; and I get to drive it everyday and don't have to make the payments
Thanks,
Bob C

Last edited by bobbyc03; 08-07-2007 at 06:56 PM.