Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Elder User

1957F100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
7.3 IDI Mods

I recently bought a 1993 Ford F250 and right now its completely stock but i was hoping to do a few mods like intake and exhaust and maybe even a turbo. but i cant find any kits for my truck. all the exhaust or intake kits i find are for 1994 and newer Fords. I was just wondering what mods you guys have done to your 7.3 IDI trucks...it doesnt necessarly have to be exhaust or intake. Im just looking for things i can do to my truck. Thanks

Pictures would be awesome!

1957 Ford F100 - 302 w/ C4. Work in Progress...

1993 Ford F250 4x4 - 7.3L Diesel, ZF 5 Speed...Sold!
Old 07-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Elder User

F250FarmBoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Some guys here took one of those '94-up exhausts and did a little modification to get it to fit an IDI.

As for intake, your on your own for a "cold/ram air kit". Hypermax sells an induction kit, but from the pic, it's not all that different from stock, and its 70-80 bucks.
Kingpin D.60, Srw, 4.10 l/s, push button GP's, ex-tree service truck, dumped utility bed for the bed off an '89 . Soon to get paint with the idea of yellow and black "boss 302" graphics....but it won't say "boss 302"
Old 07-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Freshman User

netmaker is starting off with a positive reputation.
netmaker

From the top;
  1. cold air intake. Make your own if you cannot buy and some 4" hot air pipe elbows and pipe will work wonders when extended to front on engine bay. Should cost about $50.00
  2. have your local exhaust dealer fit a twin 3" system and straight thru muffers from stock manifiolds. Should cost about $300
  3. add an electric fuel pump and raycor filter to fuel line system so you have the standard mechanical pump plus an electric pump delivering adequate fuel supply to injector pump. Cost about $50
  4. New paper air filter. Should cost about $65
  5. remove and close off fuel return line from standard fuel filter for better starting. A plug can be purchased to fit fuel line return orifice in filter housing. Should cost about $2.50
  6. Now you will flow air through the engine and match that increased flow to a adequate fuel supply from the dual pumps.
  7. Use a cetane fuel booster and injector pump lubricator like Powerkleen at 1 ozs per gallon
  8. Turn up the injector pump screw by about an eight of a turn and you will have the best performance that you can get from the lowest dollar.
  9. These engines were strangled for air when they were released and just by providing adequate air flow and fuel you will gain about 20 to 25 hp and if the engine is in reasonable condition you should be able to use that increase in power..
Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Junior User

anothersteveg is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm about 1.5 months ahead of you.

Hypermax exhaust, about 300 shipped, very easy to hook up. http://www.gohypermax.com/Catalog.as...7-2376eff8edb1
Made for '93 specifically. That's the only money I've spent.

Look at http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/ it's a great site with pictures and pretty detailed instructions. I modded my intake almost exactly like that. I'm going to go to a junk yard soon and look for another air cleaner assembly to make mine a dual snorkle.

Next upgrade would be an EGT, then I'll look at turning up the injector. I don't think I'm going to get a turbo. This is just a "Tweener" truck for me and I can't see spending 2K for a turbo if I'm only going to keep it for a couple years. However I'm on the lookout for an inexpensive setup, just have to see what turns up.

Good luck and let us know what you do.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:02 PM
New User

jrollf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Banks sells a full turbo and exhaust kit for the 93.

I have a 1993 Ford F-350 with the Banks Sidewinder kit and love it. It includes everything needed to install the turbo and a complete upgraded exhaust system. Here is a link to their page:

http://store.bankspower.com/Categori...9-23fed85aa9fb

Have fun!
Old 07-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Senior User

dieselbogging is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check out my gallery for a homemade intake idea.

1991 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat 7.3 diesel idi 4X4 E40D 3:55 rear
Dual induction intake, Stereo

1999 Ford F-150 XL 4.2 V6 4X2 5 speed, Tach(thanks to the step by step instructions on this site)...stereo
Old 07-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Senior User

Barehuggs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbogging
Check out my gallery for a homemade intake idea.
I checked out the pics. It is not clear where you found a path for cool clean air from outside.
My 92 does nto have many easy paths into the engine compartment.

1992 F-250 4x4 E4OD Ext. Cab. 16.5x12x33 4.10 gears
Old 07-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Senior User

dieselbogging is starting off with a positive reputation.
I took the condenser from my a/c out to get it through. I'll never get all the leaks sealed again anyways. i havent gotten around to running a pipe all the way to the front of the truck yet. Sounds pretty good now and i have noticed i lost all the black smoke i used to have stock. Not sure but it seems to have a bit more jam.

1991 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat 7.3 diesel idi 4X4 E40D 3:55 rear
Dual induction intake, Stereo

1999 Ford F-150 XL 4.2 V6 4X2 5 speed, Tach(thanks to the step by step instructions on this site)...stereo
Old 07-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Senior User

Barehuggs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbogging
I took the condenser from my a/c out to get it through. I'll never get all the leaks sealed again anyways. i havent gotten around to running a pipe all the way to the front of the truck yet. Sounds pretty good now and i have noticed i lost all the black smoke i used to have stock. Not sure but it seems to have a bit more jam.
Makes sense... Black Smoke = Unburned Fuel

More air in = more burned fuel = more 'Jam'

Thanks for the info

I have thought about running 2 intakes right out the side of the fender with either a grille (like the 08's) or scoop on each.

1992 F-250 4x4 E4OD Ext. Cab. 16.5x12x33 4.10 gears
Old 09-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Senior User

88beast is starting off with a positive reputation.
never thought of the out the side look maybe do a out the hood look like a hummer original h1 or humvee where it actually works
Old 09-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Senior User

wh336fire is starting off with a positive reputation.
Netmaker ... I am currious about the 2 fuel pumps and blocking off that return line . How will this help ? The original setup should be able to deliver more than enough fuel .
I also noticed you left out advancing the timing on the ip . Other than that I understand & run the other mods .

1957f100 ... You may also consider headers if you don't want a turbo . I honestly believe mine added power. It's hard to say which added the most power , but it sure runs better . Mine is pretty spunky off the line & I am way under geared .
headers and dual 3" exhaust with stacks
lt315/75-16
hers 86 f350 4x4 crew cab
6.9 5speed
lt285/75-16
Both non-turbo
Old 09-21-2007, 10:47 PM
New User

jasiebol is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking

I just bought a 1990 F-250 with the 7.3 diesel, the previous owner put an ats turbo on in it. I like it a lot, great performace. The web site is ATS.com

Old 09-22-2007, 12:59 AM
Junior User

Finnzo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netmaker
From the top;
  1. remove and close off fuel return line from standard fuel filter for better starting. A plug can be purchased to fit fuel line return orifice in filter housing. Should cost about $2.50
So, my return lines are leaking anyway -- are you saying if I pull 'em and plug 'em, my hard-starting problem will go away AND I'll have more power? Or am I showing my ignorance of basic diesel mechanics here (I don't know a whole lot about oil burners yet!)

Thanks!

--Finn John (90 F250 XLT/L StdCab 4x4, 4:10s, 5-spd, stock IDI 444 Int'l)
Old 09-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Freshman User

netmaker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Only plug the return line from the filter as that is the location that usually has the bleed back problem. The return line from the injector pump remains open to the fuel tank.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Elder User

typefour is starting off with a positive reputation.
I will try to put up pics of these mods.
4 inch exhaust, just ordered parts for a ps and it fit right in the chassis.
ATS turbo
ps intercooler, ,04 6 liter, too big but works well. 13 psi 1k on the pyro.
Pump turned up almost to far.
bb injector bodies with e tips , pressure set to 1900 psi
Pics are too big. I am going to do a build site sometime with lots of truck resurection pics.
91 f 350 cc 4x4, 3:55 gears. zf 5, 7.3 ATS 093 with bigger comp wheel, intercooled with cutdown 7,3 ps IC all gauges ignored with good aftermarket ones. Head studs, balanced . 12 psi 1k pyro under load way better mileage than the 460.

218/461 on the dyno. after 80k miles, wanted to make sure she was broke in.
sandeater1@gmail.com
Old 09-22-2007, 11:08 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
1990, 1993, 73, f250, ford, fuel, idi, injection, line, modification, mods, performance, power, pump, return, turbo, turn, twin