2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headliner removal query...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:08 PM
pukemon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headliner removal query...

i could've sworn i've read a couple topics on here that gave a basic outline on how to remove the headliner. i've searched and searched and can't find anything in any forum. i have a '07 supercab if that helps. i just wanted to read and print it out before i go nuts on my truck. i'm sure i can do it, i just don't want to $%#! up or get stuck. any help?

Old 07-22-2007, 12:44 AM
pukemon
Senior User
Thumbs up

i guess there's a bunch of wusses in here. ford truck enthusiasts are scared to take down headliners was a very popular topic in the tundra forum. heheh just kidding. went into this project blind today and sound dampened my roof with very little problem. the hardest part was the 2 clothes hanger clips. other than that, no damage, a couple of smudges that i know will come out with resolve with no problems. my roof no longer makes sheet metal noise. when i tap on it or hit it, it kind of sounds like your fingers tapping on the windshield. i can't wait to see how quiet the roof is next rain. i'm hoping the dynamat extreme will help keep the temperature down also. i noticed about a 10-15 difference from the 1st sheet of dynamat i put on from the last piece of exposed sheet metal.

Last edited by pukemon; 07-22-2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:55 AM
pilot10
More Turbo
So it sounds like the project went well. How about a basic outline and any pointers you may have? I'm planning on doing the doors and maybe the back wall of my screw and would like to do the roof as well.

I've put fat mat in a few different vehicles- last month I used a combo of spray-on and fat mat on my wife's MazdaTribute but never took the headliner down, thinking it was too much of a hassle.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 07-23-2007, 08:51 AM
black04lariat
Elder User
I did that to the roof of my last grand cherokee. It was cool in the rain, its like all you hear is it hitting the windsheild. Although, I must say for the amt. of work I wouldnt do it again.. It does cut down on road noise some too. Its would be one of those 'I am bored' projects....I never really thought about the temp. decrease.. good idea.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:23 PM
pukemon
Senior User
Originally Posted by pilot10
So it sounds like the project went well. How about a basic outline and any pointers you may have? I'm planning on doing the doors and maybe the back wall of my screw and would like to do the roof as well.

I've put fat mat in a few different vehicles- last month I used a combo of spray-on and fat mat on my wife's MazdaTribute but never took the headliner down, thinking it was too much of a hassle.

Thanks,
Tim
clean your hands first of all. the tabs at the back have smudges in the area from dirty hands. also, make sure to have a full complement of SAE sockets and metric. you're going to need some oddball /32 socket. i think it was 11/32 or 9/32. i forgot. i just realized you have a screw. supposedly you have to take out the back window to get your headliner out intact. if you don't feel like doing the window you're going to have to bend your headliner or just be SOL. as for fatmat, i hope you didn't use rubberized asphalt. if you don't know, it's roofing material and will eventually.... well you'll find out. it's not rated as high as butyl for temperature. damplifier from secondskin or dynamat extreme is the way to go. butyl based. damplifier is better than dynamat and cheaper. dampliflier pro is even better and about/almost the same price as the msrp of dynamat extreme. dampliflier can be had from secondskinaudio.com and the cost of shipping will add to the price but it's still far cheaper than dynamat extreme.