1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Les Schwab leveling kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:13 PM
slcdzl
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Les Schwab leveling kit?

Has anyone had Les Schwab put on a leveling kit? I'm going with new 35" tires and when I got the price, I couldn't believe how cheap the leveling kit was. Does anyone know what brand, style of kit it is? I had a tuff county kit on my '99 and vowed I would never have another leveling kit after how rough and squeaky those leaf springs were. I just want to make sure I'm not going down the same path.

Thanks

Old 07-19-2007, 03:51 PM
superv10
Elder User
Well - depends on what year your truck is. Schwab's kits are Tuff Country - the 2005 and up is the coil spring spacer at 2.5" - their price is WAY high - they quoted me $436 for this installed- I just got it off line for $109 plus shipping..will install myself and then go-in for my new wheels and 35's...

Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 PM
slcdzl
Junior User
Sorry, it's a 2002 CC LB PSD, so it has the leaf springs.

How do I add a sig to my posts? I can't find the option anywhere in my preferences. Is it called something else?

Old 07-19-2007, 11:06 PM
superv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by slcdzl
Sorry, it's a 2002 CC LB PSD, so it has the leaf springs.

How do I add a sig to my posts? I can't find the option anywhere in my preferences. Is it called something else?
Leafs... I did the Tuff Country 2.5 " add-a-leaf on my old 2002 V10 - I wasn't happy as they saged down to 2" after about 2 months AND the drivers side was about 1/4" lower then the pass side...

If I where you, I'd go with the Fabtech 3" hanger kit for your 2002....

For your sig, go to Quick Links and Edit Signature..

Old 07-19-2007, 11:10 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
couldn't believe how cheap
I feel this is one of the things, ya get what ya pay for

Old 07-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't believe you can add a signature until after you have 25 posts or something like that. Then Edit Signature should pop up on your User CP page. Until then just make sure your profile is correct, which it appears to be.

For those that didn't know or forgot, you can click on a persons screen name and then click on profile and it will tell you where they are from and what vehicle they have (if they have filled it out).

Old 07-20-2007, 11:10 AM
slcdzl
Junior User
Originally Posted by Beerstalker
I don't believe you can add a signature until after you have 25 posts or something like that. Then Edit Signature should pop up on your User CP page. Until then just make sure your profile is correct, which it appears to be.

For those that didn't know or forgot, you can click on a persons screen name and then click on profile and it will tell you where they are from and what vehicle they have (if they have filled it out).
Oh good. I thought I was going blind! Where is "edit signature"!!!
Yeah, I'm a newbie to this board, so when I post some more I will fill a sig out.

Thanks

Old 07-20-2007, 12:10 PM
mcprjmngr
Senior User
slcdzl- a buddy of mine put on the added leaf from Schwab in Boise. Never had an issue with it, seems to be happy as he has had it on now for 3 years or so.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:27 PM
2000Mark
Freshman User
I agree with Jake00, you get what you may for.. so with Shwab it can be a good deal if you are very clear with the service guy of what you want. If I were to do it again.. I would go in with the following info:

I want Tough Country 2.5 lift
4 new shocks, not just the two the kit comes with
2-4 inch blocks or 2 added leaf springs + 2-3inch blocks

The reason I say this is I have a 06 SD F250 and got the 2.5 tough country Kit and they did a marginal job and I had to go back two times..I would do it again because they guarantee their work and there is so many Les Schwabs out there that if anything happend I could go in a raise hell and they would have to comply but just be aware that you may have to go back. Here is my experience and what I recommend:

1. Be very specific of what you want and more importantly HOW you want the truck to look. Shwab works fast and many times forgett to look over the truck completely before they give it back to you.They installed new front shocks on my truck to make space for the 35s I was running and my truck ended up pointing in the air as the 250, if you dont get the Fx4 package does not come with rear blocks on the back above the leaf springs. They didnt bother to notice this and let me drive off only for me to come back and complain and re-install a additional leaf spring and blocks.

2. If you are going to get a pair of 2 new shocks wich you have to to make room for the 35s on the front as the stock ones wont stretch.. then make sure you get 4 all new shocks all the way around.. that way the ride quality matches. Initial ride is a bit stiff but it levels off in the end and offroading is better than the stock shocks

3. If you dont have the Fx4 package or a 350 then get 3-4 inch blocks in the back. do NOT let them put 2.5 inch blocks.. after time they will sag (like Superv10 said) especially if you tow like I do you will just end up with your nose in the air again. Wich is why I had to go back a 3rd time to get 3.5 inch blocks installed. Better to be riding with your butt a little in the air then the other way around.

* Other than that.. I would recommend it because of the price and guarantee.. just be specific to the guy at Schwab.. Not every Ford SD is the same just because their little computer says so.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:56 PM
slcdzl
Junior User
Well, I went back to go over the quote a little more. The quote was for a tuff country leaf pack and four new shocks. I told him that I hated my last add a leaf leveling kit and I had him requote it with a shackle kit instead. He said it was also a Tuff Country and was 3". $542.69 plus four new RMX Xtreme shocks @ 72.95 each. He said that should make it sit pretty level. I would actually like a little rake so when I tow I'm not blinding everyone with my headlights. Do you think I need an add a leaf on the back? I already have a 4" block in the back.

Lastly, the 20" wheels I'm looking at are only 9" wide. Is that too narrow on a 35x12.50 tire?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2007, 11:50 AM
2000Mark
Freshman User
If you already have the 4 inch block in the back you should be fine.. However if it was me, I would have them add the leaf as it will sag a bit over time and like I said before, I would rather be driving around a bit without my but in the air just bit without a trailer then with my nose in the air with a trailer.

Also, the RMXs are great.. I have all 4 and they are good.

In regards to the wheels.. 9" should be fine, I am not positive though for the ofsett on the 02 as I have the 06 and I believe the 02s have leaf springs up front and require a bit more modification.. anyone else? As it is right now I only have a 2.5 inch lift all the way around and run 12.5x35s with stock rims and I have no rubbing at all.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:52 AM
bandlgeorge
Elder User
2002 CC LB 4x4 PSD F350 cost me $220 out the door. Was quoted $270 with alignment, but checked out straight after the level so they didn't charge me. (Les Schwab)

Old 07-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Powermoon
Senior User
I went in a couple of days ago to the local les schwab and they also gave me the quote of $270 for the add a leaf w/alignment. I said I found a tuff country kit (2.5 leaf packs) online for $225 and that is what I want (not the add a leaf). They said they had never heard of it and said the add a leafs were the only thing avalible to level my truck. I asked if I purchased the kit online if they would install it and they said "no". Kind of diappointing, but now I'm wondering how hard the install would be if I had all the tools to do the job? Can anyone answer that?

Thanks,
Moon