2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford's Dumb Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:03 PM
FoundOnRoad
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford's Dumb Engineering

I just bought a 07 F150 SCrew XLT and have found a couple of things that kind of bothers me. First is: I don't like the way that Ford put those indents on the roof. It seems to me that all these do is hold water. And water just sitting there will eventually give you grief. The second is: I got the captain chairs with a nice large storage compartment. The problem is there is no organizers inside this compartment, so everything is nothing but a big jumbled up mess. Has anyone out there found any compartment organizers that will fit into this storage box? There are a few other small things that I will have the dealership hopefully fix. (fender to door lines are off a bit and the front bumper looks as if it hanging crooked). When you pay 30 grand for a vehicle you would think they could do a better job with it's appearance.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Brolli
Senior User
well that is what you get with mass production

Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Wink

I agree about fit and finish, but...

I guess I'd rather my money going towards good brakes, a strong frame, a strong driveline, a powerful engine, a sturdy box... IMHO it needs to be a truck more than it needs to look perfect.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:22 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
another first post member up on his soap box preaching....

1. The roof doesn't seam to bother me at all....i'm sure they did it for a reason....lets think....maybe if if didn't have the slots in it the water would run off onto you all the time....makes sense to me...
2. I don't have the captains chairs...but i'm sure you can find an organizer to hold all your stuff

3. as far as the bumper hanging crooked and the door....i would think you would look at that stuff when buying the truck....after all they arn't cheap so you should be picky from the begining....they are mass production vehicles but i don't think i've seen any with a crooked front bumper....havent looked at the body lines but i'm sure they line up close enough that you'll never see it...

Old 07-17-2007, 08:29 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
For the organizers I have a couple little boxes in there. They are the ones that you would use to hang from a hanging board in your garage to hold screws. they are probably 4inches by 4inches.

As for the water on the roof. I always slam the gas before the brakes after its been parked in the rain so it goes down the back rather than the front....and then leaks in the 3rd brake light....j/k fixed that after the 1st leak.

When you pay 30 grand for a vehicle you would think they could do a better job with it's appearance.
At least you didnt spend the 50+ for the new 250's that will probably have the same fit and finish issues. I agree with Brolli, its mass production. Only so much will be done.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:42 PM
GordoPanocho
Elder User
Even his username is suspect ... just missing the Dead. Seriously though, for organizer info/ideas on the generous (it's all in how you look at it) console storage area on your flow-thru console, I posted the info below before, but will just paste it here in order to get the new link to my fuzzy picture.

I got my simple screw/nail/nut/washer organizer from Home Depot for $2.49 ... could easily stack three complete cases if needed inside the console. You can search this forum to find more possible solutions. I've heard of silverware trays from Target, organizers from The Container Store, etc., office supply stores, etc.

http://gordonmerrill.110mb.com/truck...ge_750x562.jpg

You'll probably get a "not found" page with the link above ... just click the GO button or force it to refresh. If nothing else, click my signature below to get to my gallery.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:46 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Yes, the console does become a jumbled mess. Ford's has lost out on another source of consumer surplus by not selling several styles of inserts (much like the overhead rail system) for the over sized space. I've been looking for a console organizer on the internet to no avail. I'll probably just make one out of 1/4 MDF and some felt cloth. Unfortunately, the bottom of the storage space is curved, making any garage fab work that much more difficult.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:52 PM
soxfan81
Senior User
He sounds awefully upset for just getting the truck those all sound like minor issues. The slots in the roof I have noticed when I drive it the water seems to come off and run down the back of the truck. How many miles do you have? If the body lines are that far off why don't you have the dealer look at it and see if they can adjust it. Did you really pay $30k for an XLT? I saw them this morning in the paper for $22000 and a $2007 rebate.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:57 PM
pukemon
Senior User
the top of the cabin....

that big *** piece of sheet metal on top of your truck and the indentions? it's called reinforcing. for strength and resonance reasons. that's a big *** bass drum above you. those concave dents help keep the "bass" down. it also reinforces the sheet metal. ALL vehicles, even luxury cars are basically frames dressed with lip molding to strengthen the sheet metal. cars and trucks don't get made with thick sheet metal anymore. it cuts down on weight alot and it's much cheaper to buy 3/32" sheets than 5/32" inch sheets. reinforcing with a wire frame or bar/rollbars cost more than a machine/machinist to press those.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:11 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by FoundOnRoad
I just bought a 07 F150 SCrew XLT and have found a couple of things that kind of bothers me. First is: I don't like the way that Ford put those indents on the roof. It seems to me that all these do is hold water. And water just sitting there will eventually give you grief. The second is: I got the captain chairs with a nice large storage compartment. The problem is there is no organizers inside this compartment, so everything is nothing but a big jumbled up mess. Has anyone out there found any compartment organizers that will fit into this storage box? There are a few other small things that I will have the dealership hopefully fix. (fender to door lines are off a bit and the front bumper looks as if it hanging crooked). When you pay 30 grand for a vehicle you would think they could do a better job with it's appearance.
The grooves in the roof must be a good idea Chevy copied it on the 07s.Maybe you should have looked the truck over better and decided if the engineering was up to your standards before you spent 30 grand for it.
You might be able to get a good trade in towards a Tundra.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 PM
FoundOnRoad
Junior User
....another first post member up on his soap box preaching....

My, this is a friendly site.... Don't get me wrong, I love this truck. I bought another Ford because I got great service from my 93 Ranger. I was just making some observations, and not preaching.

....as far as the bumper hanging crooked and the door....i would think you would look at that stuff when buying the truck....after all they arn't cheap so you should be picky from the begining....

Unfortunately the dealership didn't have the truck I wanted (they had no 4X2's), and had to perform a dealer swap to get it. So I didn't get to see the truck until I picked it up.

....well that is what you get with mass production...

That's funny that none of the foreign car makers seem to have this problem. I guess that's what I get for buying American!

I was kind of figuring that I might have to organize using a CD crate and some small boxes. I was just hoping that some manufacturer might have come up with some kind universal organizer. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:30 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by FoundOnRoad
My, this is a friendly site....
It's usually a fair minded place, I guess the natives are a bit restless tonight. Welcome to the forum, there's lot's of info on here that will serve you well. It's been a priceless resource for me as you can see from my signature.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:31 PM
FoundOnRoad
Junior User
.....that big *** piece of sheet metal on top of your truck and the indentions?....

Do the have to be indentations? Wouldn't ribs do the same thing?

Old 07-17-2007, 09:38 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
That's funny that none of the foreign car makers seem to have this problem. I guess that's what I get for buying American!
I have no body line issues at all. Why not have the dealer look at it and fix it if it is that blatantly obvious.

p.s. ribs would just make a mess on the roof

Old 07-17-2007, 09:38 PM
FoundOnRoad
Junior User
Thanks Bridge, I've already been viewing the posts looking for info. You're right there is a lot of usable info on this site.

Quick Reply: Ford's Dumb Engineering