1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best shocks for a NON lifted SD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:49 PM
one_wicked_element
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best shocks for a NON lifted SD?

I've searched and found that for the lifted trucks, everyone loves the Bilstein 5100-SERIES. Those are only for lifted trucks, and mine is stock hight and will be for at least a year or more.

I'd like to update my shocks for better road manners, and from my searching I think the two best are:

Bilstein BST HEAVY DUTY
263.80 set of 4

Edelbrock IAS Performer Shock
305.92 set of 4

Again, this will be for a NON lifted truck:
2001 F-250 SD, 4x4 - Ext cab, Shotbox.

The truck is mainly my daily driver, and will be used to tow a 5,000lb camper in the summer 3-4 times. I'm looking for something that will give me a good ride.

Thanks all.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:31 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
one_wicked_element,

For non-lifted the Bilstein HD

Old 07-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bilstein HD, got them, love them!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 05:55 PM
ssjrsw
Senior User
I just installed the Rancho 9000's with the controller. I am very happy with the setup. I use the truck off road and the on-road conditions vary here from decent to pothole filled. I like being able to adjust the ride. Here are some pics of the until installed on my 99

Old 07-06-2007, 10:52 AM
CruiserClass
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ssjrsw
I just installed the Rancho 9000's with the controller. I am very happy with the setup. I use the truck off road and the on-road conditions vary here from decent to pothole filled. I like being able to adjust the ride. Here are some pics of the until installed on my 99
Do you notice any bleed down of the shocks when the truck sits?

Edit: Oh, and do you have a picture of the compressor installed?

Old 07-06-2007, 12:22 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
How much did that setup cost ya? I might have to get a set of those.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Wes64052
Junior User
Hey:

I have run with the Bilstein before and they are a great shock, however I just installed a set of Monroe Reflex and they give a pretty good ride too.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:37 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
How much did that setup cost ya? I might have to get a set of those.
I would say you would be better off with non USER-ADJSTABLE shocks
I have owned the RANCHO 9000X adjstable shocks with the IN CAB CONTROLLER, it isOK
I have had leak issues for awhile now.
finally pinned it down on a leaking connector on a rear shock.
I kept pumping them up and they would just be flat again hours later.
I like them, but am def going to upgradeto BILSTENS
I am willing to sell system!!!

Old 07-06-2007, 01:45 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by toyota hauler
I would say you would be better off with non USER-ADJSTABLE shocks
I have owned the RANCHO 9000X adjstable shocks with the IN CAB CONTROLLER, it isOK
I have had leak issues for awhile now.
finally pinned it down on a leaking connector on a rear shock.
I kept pumping them up and they would just be flat again hours later.
I like them, but am def going to upgradeto BILSTENS
I am willing to sell system!!!
Well there chief, PM the specs and what your lookin to get. I am looking into something like that so I can soften the rid a little when I don;t have a load. I got some nasty kidney stones and every now and then I get on a bad road and it feels like I'm getting beat to death with baseball bat.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:36 PM
one_wicked_element
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wes64052
Hey:

I have run with the Bilstein before and they are a great shock, however I just installed a set of Monroe Reflex and they give a pretty good ride too.

The Reflex is a good one too. I put those in my F-150, but I didn't know how well they would work in a SD.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:56 PM
NOCO77
Elder User
I run the Bilsteins with Firestone bags in the rear and love 'em, but my buddy has the same setup with Gabriel Max-Controls and I can't tell the difference between our rides. I know he didn't pay as much for his shocks as I did. IMHO, almost anything is better than the factory shocks.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Passin Thru
Senior User
NOCO77, How did u mount the air bags. Mine seem to need a plate welded to the frame but havent figured out how yet.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Wes64052
Junior User
Hey:

Thats what I have them on 03 SDCC V10

Old 07-06-2007, 03:42 PM
ssjrsw
Senior User
I had a leak the day I installed them. It was from the rear and was pretty big so I re-cut all the lines at the connections but it still leaked. After an hour or so I discovered that it was the connection at the controller itself. It was my fault since I did not tighten it down properly.

Since them it has not leaked one bit, if I do not change the setting for weeks it stays right where it is at. I have hear good things about the bilstein's but I can not comment on those, I am real happy with these. Like I said I drive under very different road conditions here. I travel to places like Costa Rica and on the main highways there it is not unusual to see potholes 5 feet around and 1-2 feet deep. Most of the main roads in this country are in good condition and I get a nine ride at speed.

There are also many speed bumps here on side streets (its funny since you are on a road filled with holes so you can not go fast anyway) and dips on the side of the road for water drainage. The thing I like about the Rancho's is it really reduced the sway from side to side when passing over these.

Anyway running the lines was easy and electrical hookup was easy. the hard part was finding a place for the compressor and controller. I mounted the compressor under the cab along the cross frame. It seemed to fit in there very well and is facing back so it has some protection. I placed the T-valves close to the compressor along the frame on the drives side and tie wrapped them down to the frame rail. I looked hard for a place under the hood but could not find one.

One thing I can say is that if you don't get the control unit these would be worthless. At least for me anyway, I would change them the first few weeks but after that I would just leave them on one setting because I am to lazy to get out to change them! I knew when I got these I would have to install the whole thing.

You can get the shocks off ebay for around $80 or so. In the stores more like $95. There was a guy selling a set of 4 (new) for the SD for $265. The control unit are on ebay for around $150-160 in the stores around $180.

front shock

compressor on cross frame

sideways picture to show the compressor better, bottom of photo is the left side of the truck.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:29 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
I've got a set of Ranch 9000x's.

Oh, those fancy-schmancy controllers... be a man and get on your back

Just kidding guys, but I didn't feel like spending extra, and once I got the back ones dialed in where I wanted them I don't have to change them much, and the fronts I can reach around back of the tire and change them at will.

My biggest gripe about any shock is that I want to be able to adjust them.

There's no way I could ride in my SD on either Long Island's roads, offroad in Upstate NY, or just driving on the highway somewhere, and NOT be able to adjust them.

On the other hand, so many people rave about the Bilsteins, I might consider them for the next time...

Quick Reply: Best shocks for a NON lifted SD?