Computer Chips & Tuners  

Which Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-1999, 10:45 PM
deadeye
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Chip?

I plan on putting a aftermarket chip in my 94 4x4 with a 302 and 3.31 gears. I do not plan on running premium gas after that. Would I be better off buying a Superchips or Jet.

Old 12-17-1999, 06:48 PM
Fast Eddie
Which Chip?

I am talking to a company called Hypertech right now, and I think I am about to give the "chip" another try.
I bought a kit from Jet about four years back, and will never buy anything from them again.
JET's method of accessing the ECU is to insert their adaptor in between the male/female 64-pin bulkhead connector which runs through the firewall(look down below the power brake booster). Their delicate processor module then plugs to the side of the adaptor with a very delicate 64-pin plug more at home inside your PC, not in the engine compartment of a truck. "Waterproofing" is supplied by a flat sheet of black icky roofing-tarlike glop which you are supposed to stick to the firewall and mold around this flimsy contraption.
The truck went totally dead several times on me. Removing the JET thingy got it going again.
Their service department was rude.
Enough JET-bashing, just be careful and get it in writing.
Ed

Old 12-17-1999, 08:01 PM
Jay
Senior User
Which Chip?

I have also heard alot of negative vibes about jet.I have heard nothing but good about Hypertech and plan on purchasing a unit from them myself.
Believe it or not it seems I can get it from Pep Boys cheaper than anyone else.
Good luck.

Old 12-17-1999, 11:24 PM
sean
Junior User
Which Chip?

There is also a company called dyno sources inc.
check them out!

Old 12-18-1999, 03:25 AM
R.C.
Which Chip?

hey guys, i have a hypertech chip in the box, part# 600021 for a ford 302 in a truck, EFI with a 5 speed manual. the chips are up there in price, but i will take much lower for it than what i paid. make me an offer, no reasonable on will be refused. thanks guys, hopefully my $300 paper weight can be of use to someone.

Old 01-04-2000, 05:56 PM
Paul Brizal
Which Chip?

I have had good luck with the Jet Chip on my 96 F-150. I noticed a big difference in performance. I run midgrade fuel when daily driving and super when towing my boat. The 96 may differ from the 94 but the chip I bought plugged right into my ECM on the INSIDE of the truck. I just had to loosen and remove the emergency brake asembly to gain access to the ECM. Total installation only took 30 minutes. Just remember to clean the ECM board (where the chip plugs in) of the grease and use a scotch brite (included with the chip) to make sure the terminal points on the ECM are cleaned to the bare copper so the electrical contacts between the chip and the ECM are good. I would also recommend the Jet thermostat with the chip.

Old 06-16-2000, 05:35 PM
paul150
New User
Which Chip?

I bought a chip from Superchips. It gave my 97 5.4 a noticeable boost in power and improved my auto trans shifting. The auto trans used to slip for a long time before shift into second at full throttle. Now it shifts very fast with no slippage. Fuel economy is up a bit but no cost savings due to high octane required. The trans is also more likely to stick in 4th now at low throttle positions, which I like due to the fact that the 5.4 has enough torque to keep the truck moving without downshifting. However. the trans is more likely to downshift when the throttle is opened more. Engine also runs a bit more consistent between hot, cold, dry and wet days. Installation was easy. One big downfall, after accelerating full throttle and then releasing the gas back to a low throttle setting, the trans will shift hard and cause the back of the truck to shake a little.

I have also removed the engine fan and put a 4 inch hole in the air box. The engine fan removal did more for the truck than the chip. The airbox did about half what the chip did. I want to put dual exhaust and a K&N on it next. I put a high performance electric fan on the F150. This truck needs a fan less than most other vehicles. It has never needed the electric fan to keep cool unless towing in hot weather. The big radiator keeps it cool without a fan even on warm days (new york state warm, not tuscon).

Old 06-23-2000, 03:42 PM
Obliterator
New User
Which Chip?

Hi. Don't expect too much from the Hypertech module either, as I found out. I've spent quite a bit of money on getting more power from my '92 302 Flareside and to tell you the truth if I was to go back to 100% stock, I'm not sure I would notice too much difference. The only mod worth the money soo far is going to single 3" exhaust. Other mods I've done include the K&N Filtercharger and headers. I've noticed NO fuel savings with headers or Filter (unlike I was told).

Not trying to be too negative, but I was fooled into believing these mods would drastically improve performance but after spending all this cash I've learned that computer controlled vehicles are pretty tough to mess with. I pass this on as a guy who's done almost all of these most talked about mods.

Old 06-27-2000, 08:50 PM
FIREDUDE26
Freshman User
Which Chip?

i just put in a SUPERCHIP, in my 2000 f-250 V-10 4x4, and it made a noticable diffrence, the truck shifts so much snappier than before, and power does seem to be alot more responsive, good luck

Old 06-28-2000, 07:10 AM
mfs
New User
Which Chip?

I put the Hypertech in my '88 Bronco/302 and I did notice some improvement, but that could of had more to do with running premium fuel than the chip. I think you could probably get the same improvement by working with the timing, either way it needs to be undone for smog.

Have the K&N along with Flowmaster exhaust and with minor improvments, biggest benefit was to change gearing to 4.10 to compensate for the 32X11.50 tires that did make a difference, but also very expensive unless you need differential work anyway. At least that's how I justified it to myself.

Old 07-06-2000, 11:09 AM
shami02
Senior User
Which Chip?