2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 09:56 AM
tdavid
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lifter Noise

Mates,
2004 F150 is making lifter noise after engine oil ran low. Any suggestions on how to address the problem? What costs are expected from this? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:41 PM
mustangz_04
Senior User
I'd be willing to bet you're just now noticing the noise, but it has always been there. My 05 Scab, 5.4 makes so much valvetrain/oil somethingorother(whatever it is) noise sometimes people think its a deisel. It really is just a trait of this motor.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:45 AM
PhqChevys
New User
Originally Posted by tdavid
Mates,
2004 F150 is making lifter noise after engine oil ran low. Any suggestions on how to address the problem? What costs are expected from this? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
I'm pretty sure the 04' has NO gas cable and has the drive by wire system (make sure before you try this). When you change your oil and are ready to start the engine, hold the gas peddle to the floor and crank the engine (as long as you have drive by wire, I promis you it WILL NOT START) until it shows oil psi on the guage. This will prime all your lifters and valvetrain. Once it shows oil psi, take your foot off the gas and start it normaly, it will start right up and your valve ticking will be greatly reduced if not gone completly.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:31 PM
l-m tech
Posting Guru
these engines do have some noise to them , but what i see at the dealership is usually the vct phaser assy. usually fail,hydralic lash adjuster colaps,or the chain tensioner bleed off and cause noise at start up. they are noisey and yes they do sound almost like a diesel.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:16 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually the tick you hear is probably the injector noise. There is a TSB for the valve lash adjuster, which could be your problem.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Mr86GT
Junior User
Originally Posted by mustangz_04
I'd be willing to bet you're just now noticing the noise, but it has always been there. My 05 Scab, 5.4 makes so much valvetrain/oil somethingorother(whatever it is) noise sometimes people think its a deisel. It really is just a trait of this motor.
As I have posted in previous posts...I'll share what worked for me. My 2004 Screw 5.4L ticked too...bought it used with 22k on it. I found out that the dealer I bought it from (my own, I work for Mopar, go figure, haha) put the wrong oil in it. Two days after bringing it home, I changed the oil again myself...and used a Ford Motorcraft oil filter and Motorcraft 5W-20 oil. Since I have done this...the ticking noises have DRASTICALLY reduced. They are still there, but not nearly as loud or noticable. I have always used Motorcraft oil filters on all my Fords and I strongly suggest everyone do the same. These newer engines must have the start-up protection of the anti-drain back valve that the Ford filters have, and the aftermarkets don't. Plus...did any of you ever take apart a Fram oil filter....they use cardboard!!! YUCK!! No thanks...not for my truck or ANY of my Fords. Also...as mentioned, these 5.4L's seem to be picky about oil as well.....use the Motorcraft 5W-20 oil....u can buy it at Walmart for like $13 for a 5 qt container, and then like $3/qt for the remaining two. A small price to pay to me. Try this. It worked wonders for my truck.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:17 AM
jeffisjacked
Junior User
i find it hard to believe an engine with valve lash adjusters that dont really move are making noise...but anyway, you probably are hearing injector noise, if youre sure you are hearing valve train noise, just run the truck for a little bit, the lash adjusters will pump back up.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:13 PM
tdavid
New User
How can I determine if the noise is valve train or injector related? Mention was made of a TSB for lash adjuster. How can I locate the TSB? If my noise is a fuel injector issue what is the fix? Thank you for your insight.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:34 PM
jeffisjacked
Junior User
fuel injectors just get noisy, doesnt mean they go bad....get a long screw driver, put the metal edge to the valve cover, the plastic to your ear, and move it around and try to pin point the source of the noise

Old 10-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Genesdsu
Freshman User
I have a 5.4 liter engine with 50,000 miles and the same rattle noise just started, it was much louder initially too. I took it to dealership twice and they claim they checked everyithing they said they do not know what it is, they need a factory engineer to come out and help them. I am waiting on that now.
I have custome air intake and exhaust but nothing changed for last 45,000 miles.
Dealer mentioned a "standard 5.4 injector noise" but my truck sounds like a diesel and rattles very loud.
Has anyone else taken their rattle noice to dealer?

Old 11-03-2007, 02:45 AM
F150MANN
New User
Great discussion !! I just bought my dream Truck 05 Lariat SC and noticed a slight Diesel sound. 24K miles and bought used, I'll bet the service dept at the dealership where I bought it put some good old 20w-50 in it cause "It's a Truck".
I'm changing the oil asap....

Old 11-03-2007, 02:28 PM
firemedic716
New User
Engine ticking...

Originally Posted by PhqChevys
I'm pretty sure the 04' has NO gas cable and has the drive by wire system (make sure before you try this). When you change your oil and are ready to start the engine, hold the gas peddle to the floor and crank the engine (as long as you have drive by wire, I promis you it WILL NOT START) until it shows oil psi on the guage. This will prime all your lifters and valvetrain. Once it shows oil psi, take your foot off the gas and start it normaly, it will start right up and your valve ticking will be greatly reduced if not gone completly.
Amazing. I have had this ticking noise for months now but was afraid that it would entail a major engine job at the dealer. I tried this which took less than a minute and it worked lika a charm. Thanx.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:25 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
I-M tech is prolly on the right track ( a master mechanic for Ford)

mine goes in for the cam phaser on Monday ( $980 , out of warranty now)
sounds like a lifter, or even an exhaust header leak
common problem on the 04/05

Ramb

Old 11-08-2007, 07:52 AM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tdavid
How can I determine if the noise is valve train or injector related? Mention was made of a TSB for lash adjuster. How can I locate the TSB? If my noise is a fuel injector issue what is the fix? Thank you for your insight.
Fuel injectors click. You can hear this with a raised hood. It's not usually something you'll notice inside the car. In many years of vehicle ownership, I have learned; if you can't hear it in the vehicle with the windows rolled up, don't worry about it.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:29 PM
firemedic716
New User
Ouch! Sorry bout that. Don't you hate it when they try and sell u the extended warranty at time of purchase and we say no thanks. good luck.

Quick Reply: Lifter Noise