Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 F-150 ex cab w 5.0 and mods

Old 02-13-2002, 02:06 PM
MikeS
Freshman User

I am hesitant to buy a chip for my truck, but wanted to ask for advice. I have put Bassani equal length headers, a Gibson cat back single 3" exhaust, K&N panel and hand-made "ram air" using a diesel tube and factory pieces to route air intake to grill opening, running 11-12 degrees of initial advance, Trans-Go shift kit, 4.10 gears and Eaton posi, and ASP power pullies. I also have a Bassani "off-road" Y-pipe but have not installed it yet because I have to add provisions for the O2 sensor and air pump tube. Truck runs very well and idles good. What gains could be expected with a chip and what would it cost? I would like to have option of adding a "high-flow" converter after the Bassani y-pipe if I need to add a converter later. I want to run the "off-road" y-pipe using the air pump so I could add the converter later. K Payne do you have any suggestions? Also I have access to some Lightning GT-40 iron heads. Would these help and can chips be modified if these heads were added later? Sorry so long and so many questions!

Old 02-13-2002, 02:46 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First, if you plan to get a chip, hold off until you have all your modifications done. While you can get it reprogrammed, there is a custom fee every time you add custom programming.

Cost of the chip is located in the online store under Diablo or Superchips. The custom programming fee is an additional $100 for the Diablo and Superchips just skyrocketed their custom fees to $250 retail. Don't have our fee set yet for it. If you go with a custom chip I would recommend the Diablo because of the fee issue.

It seems like you've got it together with performance modifications. The main thing a chip is going to address for someone in your shoes is proper air-fuel mixture throughout the RPM curve and torque converter lock management. You wouldn't need a line pressure increase since you've got a shift kit. The timing advance you have set sounds like something you've managed it just fine.

The chip I saw at the site you mentioned, I assume its the ADS chip, is not a custom chip. I don't think a standard chip code from ADS, or one of ours (Superchips or Diablo) or any company for that matter, will help much if any with horsepower though they can improve the shifting -- especially with the 302. Speed density just doesn't do much for HP with a standard chip and major intake/engine/exhaust modifications.

I've had more than one modified 302 owner purchase a chip and the sad reality is they didn't gain much until they went with a custom chip. I'd love to sell you a chip, but not if its a waste of your money... A custom chip, from us or anyone else, would be required to take advantage of your mods.

How does the truck drive now? Any flat spots, hesitation, pinging? How is the shifting? Fuel consumption?

As to the heads.... go for it!

Old 02-13-2002, 03:02 PM
MikeS
Freshman User

I have ordered a Kirban adjustable fuel pressure regulator. This should give me a way to increase my air-fuel ratio. I am planning on adding 3-5 lbs of fuel pressure to increase fuel across the board. Does a chip add to the total timing or just bump the initial and total across the board. It is VERY easy to add 2 or 3 degrees of initial which will add the same to total. I have to use super unleaded now and noticed a good power and mileage increase with only that change. The other changes have come after that. What could a chip do for me if I have bumped initial timing and increased fuel pressure and added a shift kit. Is there any gains to be had from a chip? I am learning all the time. I am a decent tuner on carbed engines but fairly new to increasing power in a Speed Density vehicle.

Old 02-13-2002, 03:39 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike,

Hang on to your money and don't get a chip unless you experience drive-ability problems. If you're having to run premium already then the timing is as far as it'll go. You've got a shift kit, advanced the timing and will be adjusting the mixture. About the only additional thing a chip can do for you at this point, other than drain your wallet, is adjust the torque converter lock-up points. If you had MAF I'd tell you to go for it because you'd have little control over timing with the newer systems. The more modern engine systems get the more you'll be required make computer changes. Luckily, your truck is old enough that you can still go "hands-on" and make many of the changes, if you're willing to make them (as you have been).