1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Boost guage average pressure and Trans gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:54 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes the stocker will shred at those temps. Glass knows that but it will be fun to see how long it lasts!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Hey what exactly "happens" when a turbo fails? I'm guessing compressor wheel starts hitting the housing and other bad things... Would there be a possibility of a fire, High boost, hot exhaust, something brakes, oil supply now enters hot turbo = fire? could that even happen? I guess anything is possible...

-Robb

Old 04-07-2008, 03:30 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

High boost (unequal drive pressure) destroys the thrust bearing usually. thats what happened to mine. Bearing started burning up, chewed into the aluminum base plate and allowed the compressor to hit housing. The compressor, compressor housing and base plate and a rebuild kit were needed to fix it. Thats over half the turbo! I have also heard of too high of turbo RPM grenading compressors wheels. Not likely to happen on our stock turbo's.
Pics of trashed turbo
Stock 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

Old 04-07-2008, 04:11 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, for all that spool and noise that the turbo makes on a 1st gear takeoff, it really has that little boost?
I need guages...

Old 04-07-2008, 06:32 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
to answer all of your questions.... EGTs rarely hit over 900 post-turbo... only time i've seen those types of numbers were towing a 10k trailer up a hill floored in the big tune set my first CEL on that pull hahaha
yes it is a stock turbo
stock turbos should NEVER be pushed this hard and i urge anyone who wants stage 2s to get a new turbo either right away or before you get the injectors
my turbo AND trans are stock but the trans has a BTS valve body and somehow both are still working PERFECTLY and never miss a beat...
this truck is a miracle truck and i advise everyone else to do these mods in the "correct" order... aka trans first hahaha
yes i do push this truck hard and at least once a day see over 35 psi of boost and about once every couple weeks i do a nice 0-100+mph run pushing about 40-40+ psi the whole time....
and yes tj it will be fun to see this thing blow up hahaha and it's been a long time since i've been on this site hahah good to be back!!! been hangin out at compD too much...