Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here, time to start with my first stupid question (on this forum anyway)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Asterixx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here, time to start with my first stupid question (on this forum anyway)

As mentioned in the "intro" section I've just bought my first Ford truck: '95 F-150 4X4. Problem is, every one of the wheels are different (only the spare and left front match). I have started looking for rims, but of course since I'm looking for them nobody has any. This brings me to my stupid question: Will Dodge rims fit this truck? And what bolt pattern would it have? I know Dodge car rims fit Ford cars, and that Ford small truck rims will fit a Dakota (I had a set of '91 Explorer wheels on my old '88 Dakota) but this thing looks like it's got a much bigger bolt pattern. Little help?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:46 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
find ford rims.

can't be that hard.

welcome to fte.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by quicklook2
find ford rims.

can't be that hard.

welcome to fte.
Haha, always so helpful Mr. Look. Asterixx, as I recall from another thread, dodge rims have a different bolt pattern than Ford.

-Chris

Last edited by Skandocious; 06-13-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:50 PM
taisa899
Posting Guru
check local wrecking yards, body shops and finally join your local chapter here on FTE and look in their For Sale/ Want Ads

Jim

Old 06-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Asterixx
New User
Originally Posted by quicklook2
find ford rims.

can't be that hard.

welcome to fte.
Thing is, Dodge had some nice rims through the years - I've always liked the turbines (similar to the ones on the General Lee) and the ones on my father's '00 R1500 looked very mich like the chrome ones on the mid 90's Fords (and like the one on the right rear of my truck). I know 97 and newer Fords have a different bolt pattern than the Dodges (and older Fords), but I had always thought that the older ones shared wheel bolt patterns.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Bruce R Leech
Elder User
your Ford needs 5 X 51/2 wheels that is 5 lugs on a 5.5 inch dia. pattern

Old 06-14-2007, 08:59 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the ford rims are designed for your truck with the correct offset.

get ford rims and be done with it.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:49 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
Unless you get a set of dodge rims from 93 or older the off set will be all wrong . These rims are a dime a dozen I have 2 sets off 93-95 but I live in PA and they need redone.

Why go stock you can get several type rims very inexpensive ( The price I see stock alum ones for I can get 4 new ones. )in after market . And some are allot cooler than any that were stock on our trucks .If you need tires many places have package deals . Good luck

Old 06-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Welcome to the site i think i would find a set of ford rims they have a bunch of nice looking rims for these years 3 styles from what i remember

Old 06-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Check out my rims

Old 06-14-2007, 09:55 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
A lot of the dodge rims will fit a Ford no problem, but while the lugnuts line up just fine the hole in the center of the rim may be too small, or too large. If it's too small it has to be opened up to precisely fit onto the hub of the Ford, and if it's too big don't use the rim.

The reason is because the wheel/rim supports the weight of the vehicle by the lip of the hug resting in that large center hole - the lug nuts only purpose is to hold the wheel/rim flat against that hub. The load of the vehicle is on the HUB not the lugnuts.

Easy mistake to make which is why I mention it... and the results.... well.... aren't pleasant.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Originally Posted by frederic
A lot of the dodge rims will fit a Ford no problem, but while the lugnuts line up just fine the hole in the center of the rim may be too small, or too large. If it's too small it has to be opened up to precisely fit onto the hub of the Ford, and if it's too big don't use the rim.

The reason is because the wheel/rim supports the weight of the vehicle by the lip of the hug resting in that large center hole - the lug nuts only purpose is to hold the wheel/rim flat against that hub. The load of the vehicle is on the HUB not the lugnuts.

Easy mistake to make which is why I mention it... and the results.... well.... aren't pleasant.
I don't buy that, what about the rear wheels that have no hubs? What about other vehicles which don't have hubs at all?

-Chris

Old 06-15-2007, 03:49 PM
mhg
Fleet Mechanic
just an FYI while were talking about wheels and lugs
was at a junk yard today and saw a seven lug wheel
has a ford logo and was told they are on late model trucks
weeeeeird

Old 06-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Asterixx
New User
Originally Posted by mhg
just an FYI while were talking about wheels and lugs
was at a junk yard today and saw a seven lug wheel
has a ford logo and was told they are on late model trucks
weeeeeird
The 97-style F250 had 7-lug wheels. I know a guy that's got an '00 F-250 with 'em.

Frederic: I am aware of the purpose of the center hole, but thanks for pointing it out. I'd never have a truck that the lug nuts alone supported the weight of the truck. One might get away with it (indeed, many aftermarket wheels don't rest on the hub), but it isn't ideal, especially on something that might carry some weight. I'm not above machining rings that are pressed into the center hole on a rim to make it match the hub though - I did just that on my old '88 Cougar when I installed oldschool 70's aluminum slots on it - but the wheels would have to be something special to go through that with...

Skandocious: Frederick is 100% correct. Even though there are no rear hubs (actually, on a floating axle there are) there is still a raised section on the axle flange that centers both the drum and the wheel. All vehicles would have this, whether they are FWD, RWD, or 4WD. If there's a vehicle out there that doesn't have it, it would be news to me, and if there are, they would have studs and nuts designed to carry the load. This center section eliminates "shear" load on the wheel studs - as Frederick says the lug nuts are only there to hold the wheel on, not to center it or carry weight.

I was unaware that the Dodge centers would be a different size - thruth be told I didn't even think about it, though I'd have found out quickly enough if I'd tried a wheel on. I'm actually thinking I might try to find some of those aluminum rims Ford offered in the early 90's - they have a bunch of round holes and fake rivets. Either that or the chrome-clad wheels that were installed on about eleventy-billion F150's throughout the 90's. The only thing I'm 100% sure of is that the current all-four-are-different wheels have got to go, along with the cheap P-metric tires mounted to 'em. Trucks should have LT rated tires.

This brings about another question: Will 31" tires on stock Ford wheels fit with no problems (other than inaccurate speedo, obviously)? There looks to be plenty of room, and 31" tires aren't exactly huge (my '87 Pathfinder had 'em stock), but I'd be best to find out before buying 'em

Old 06-15-2007, 09:18 PM
EMoeFord
Junior User
Dodge wheels on a Ford??? That's like putting a pink dress on a little baby boy. "It's just not right"!

Find the Ford wheels; you'll be happier in the end, and will save yourself a lot of jokes.

Regards!

Quick Reply: New here, time to start with my first stupid question (on this forum anyway)