Interferance or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:12 AM
Handegard
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interferance or not?

Ok, who decided to put a plastic timming gear on a 460? Anyone got that guys address? I'd like to "thank" him in person....

So, I'm charging a battery overnight, I'll see if she runs in the AM< does anyone know if my 460 is a interferance motor or not? I've got a HUGE list from Motor-Alldata of engines, but all of them appear to be belt engines. Not a singe chain motor to be found on the list....

Old 06-12-2007, 07:42 AM
darrin1999
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats because almost every chain drive engine is an interference head- 460s included. the chain is meant to last the life of the vehicle, but in the case of a 460 it lasts about half that... they usually need to be changed around 140-160k miles. one engine design thats retarded is the kia- they run a timing belt on an interference head- so guess what happens when that belt snaps? yep, no more engine (or at least a very very expensive repair bill)

Old 06-12-2007, 09:34 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Darrin is correct I can't think off the top of my head of a single chain driven cam engine that is not interference. did you break the chain or just slip a couple of teeth if you slipped a couple of teeth your gonna be fine unless your running a real radical cam (1 tooth on my cam will put the exhaust valves into the pistons) but most stock cams it has to slip about 6 teeth before that happens (it will quit running long before it slips that far almost always)