Sponsored by:

Roadmaster Active suspension??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 06:02 PM
CptSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadmaster Active suspension??

I've been reading some threads here about traction bar/ raduis rod applications to prevent axle wrap, body roll, cotrol swaying etc..etc..
I've mainly checked out the Tuff Country traction bar set up (the over spring mounted bar) and I remembered something similar I ran accross on the net some time ago. It works similar to the Tuff country set up but uses a spring. They claim similar benefits i.e. axle wrap reduction, sway control, improved handling and reduced body roll, and there is no drilling involved. Their application guide list's Excursions and F-250's.
So I'm wondering if anyone has tried this system and if it is any good.
Here's a link so please tell me what you think!!

http://www.activesuspension.com/index.htm

JB

Old 06-11-2007, 06:36 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I sell quite a few of them, and most people do come back to tell me how much they like them. I have even had one customer fit all of his trucks with them. It's a very nice system, if you have any doubts call IJ or Ryan and they will set you straight on it.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:25 PM
jspringator
Senior User
I like mine. Really helped with towing.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:18 PM
jjbirish
Senior User
i am thinking about installing the hellwig rear anti sway bar. if i install these would i still need the hellwig?????

Old 07-17-2007, 03:21 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I've got one in the mail as I type...Roadmaster was VERY helpful in discussing this with me...Ryan and Dave are top notch!

I'll be wrenching this on Thursday night as I leave on Friday morning for a 2 week 2000 mile towing trip!!!...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the package doesn't get lost in the mail! DOH!!!...

I'll let everyone know how this does towing my 9000# TT, as it appears to be an excellent product at a very reasonable price.

jj,

you may want to give Dave and Ryan a call at Roadmaster 1.800.398.5036 and ask your question...I think this product can be used in place of the Hellwig...but I'm not 100% sure...I've got a Hellwig already installed so it will stay...but these also function like an add a leaf and other leaf suspension capacity adding devices out there...(i.e. airbags, etc)

joe.

Last edited by X_Hemi_Guy; 07-17-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Given how well you write Joe, I look forward to your report! This question comes up often but nobody really has taken the time to write it up a "report" like I know you will.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:54 PM
jjbirish
Senior User
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
I've got one in the mail as I type...Roadmaster was VERY helpful in discussing this with me...Ryan and Dave are top notch!

I'll be wrenching this on Thursday night as I leave on Friday morning for a 2 week 2000 mile towing trip!!!...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the package doesn't get lost in the mail! DOH!!!...

I'll let everyone know how this does towing my 9000# TT, as it appears to be an excellent product at a very reasonable price.

jj,

you may want to give Dave and Ryan a call at Roadmaster 1.800.398.5036 and ask your question...I think this product can be used in place of the Hellwig...but I'm not 100% sure...I've got a Hellwig already installed so it will stay...but these also function like an add a leaf and other leaf suspension capacity adding devices out there...(i.e. airbags, etc)

joe.
Joe
i did speak to Dave, after i posted here, very helpful indeed.
his opinion is while he couldn't say for sure, he didn't think i would need the hellwig, as the roadmasters would eliminate the wrap problem 100% and would be a major improvement in all other areas of concern,
fleet users are reporting fuel milage increases as well of around 6% and improved tire wear.
since i am not in a big hurry, i will wait to hear your report before ordering them.
thanks for your responce
Jack

Old 07-17-2007, 05:13 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does this allow you to save fuel?

Old 07-17-2007, 05:20 PM
CptSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by jjbirish
Joe
i did speak to Dave, after i posted here, very helpful indeed.
his opinion is while he couldn't say for sure, he didn't think i would need the hellwig, as the roadmasters would eliminate the wrap problem 100% and would be a major improvement in all other areas of concern,
fleet users are reporting fuel milage increases as well of around 6% and improved tire wear.
since i am not in a big hurry, i will wait to hear your report before ordering them.
thanks for your responce
Jack
What would you be using them on? I assume you have an EX as well? I have been wanting to try these on my truck for awhile. Mainly because I don't really care for any of the traction bar set ups out there...And the prices are outrages!!
Now I can't wait for Joe to come back with a report. If it's good i will be getting some of these for both vehicles.

JB

Old 07-17-2007, 06:13 PM
jjbirish
Senior User
Originally Posted by CptSD
What would you be using them on? I assume you have an EX as well? I have been wanting to try these on my truck for awhile. Mainly because I don't really care for any of the traction bar set ups out there...And the prices are outrages!!
Now I can't wait for Joe to come back with a report. If it's good i will be getting some of these for both vehicles.

JB
you can call them (800-398-5036) or go to the web site, its in a earlier post.
cost is $279 for the X.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:35 PM
jspringator
Senior User
I guess a reduction in spring wrap would translate to more power to the wheels. I had a transmission rebuild with a shift kit at the same time of my Roadmaster instalation so mileage comparisons were impossible for me to make.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:22 PM
western star
Elder User
I put this system on my 73 F-100 (see gallery pics) as I was hauling around a slide-in camper. Before the system I thought I had dreamed up a new way to commit suicide. After the system has been heaven on earth. This system is awesome. My Ex will be getting it soon. No one who gets this product will be disappointed.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:24 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Monsta and CptSD...thanks for the confidence in waiting for my report!

I hope these get here tomorrow as promised so I can install them BEFORE my trip...it will be a good test for the system for sure as I am now back to STOCK on the rear suspension...

I poked around under the Ex last night and those U-bolt nuts sure look like they will be fun to get to! Installing the bracket under the spring pack "keeper plate" is going to be the hard part. The rest of the system looks very easy. On the passengers side it looks like I may have some minor clearance issues with the rear A/C lines...I may have to wrap the Roadmaster rod with cut plastic tubing or something to avoid any rubbing...we'll see.

Speaking of U-Bolt nuts...does anyone know the torque I need to apply when I re-install them? They are 15/16" nuts and I thought I had read on here from someone that did a spring pack swap that the torque was 80 ft-lbs?...is that right?...

Joe.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
I installed the Roadmaster in my Ex about two years ago. A very worthwhile investment. I think it took a friend and I about an hour to install.

I know the ride did not get harsh or unpleasant, but the handling with or without the trailer got much better. It also takes the tonque weight better.

A funny aside, one rainy night with three people, two guitars, amp, etc in the Ex, we had a friend following in a Mustang GT...the next day he complained that he could not keep up with us on the on and off ramps!

Old 07-18-2007, 01:09 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
How does this allow you to save fuel?
I actually wondered the same thing myself.

I watched the video on their website that goes thru the logic flow.

It goes something like this (my interpretation of their video)...

When any leaf spring is loaded up to near maximum and onto the bump stops the only elements left to "flex" are the tires. With constant flex/fattening of the tires on the pavement, it causes a greater rolling resistance and footprint and thus lower MPG's. This product claims to enhance the rear spring carrying capacity and thus utilizing the springs as flex devices and NOT the tires. Thus by reducing the constant cyclical flex/fattening of the tires and reducing the overall rolling resistance of the truck...that equates to higher MPGs. Sounds like many customers have noticed this benefit...

I am NOT installing this in hopes of higher MPGs...BUT if that is a side benefit I'm not gonna complain!

If you have a chance they have a few good videos loaded on their website. The installation video uses the old show "ShadeTree Mechanics" episode where they actually installed this product (The new show name is Chrome and something?)...lots of good info on the website. http://www.activesuspension.com/index.htm Take a look if you care to.

I've got some CONFLICTING information...on the rear U-Bolt torque numbers.

RoadMaster is saying 80ft-lbs...BUT the specs housedad posted say 185ft-lbs!!!...BIG difference...which is it for the REAR AXLE U-BOLTS???!?!?!?!?!?!?

joe.

Quick Reply: Roadmaster Active suspension??