Computer Chips & Tuners  

Hypertech, diablo, superchip

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 10:56 PM
Devil Dog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 ford expedition with the 4.6L. Out of which chip will I get the most horsepower and firmest shifts? My computer code is BTG5. I read that the superchip has firmer shifts than the diablo and that the diablo has more horespower than the superchip. I also read that the diablo will only stiffen up the shift points at full throtle. So does that mean that the superchip has firmer shifts at all the rpm's, not only at full throtle? Correct me if I am wrong but, would'nt the superchip out do the diablo if the superchip shifted better? The hypertech programer stiffens up the shift at all the rpm's right? Is it true that the hypertech programer only kicks in at full throtle? I have a hard time believing that. Any input will help and will be gladly apreciated. Ken, I know that you are a big fan of the diablo. Convince me on one please.

Devil Dog

Old 05-28-2002, 12:27 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

>I read that the superchip has firmer
>shifts than the diablo and that the diablo has more
>horespower than the superchip.

Partially correct. On average, the Diablo does give more HP. The Superchips is firmer all the time. The Diablo is firmer all the time compared to stock, but it gets progressively firmer the more throttle you give it. This way you have a comfortable ride when just casually driving but better response the more aggressive you get.

>I also read that the diablo
>will only stiffen up the shift points at full throtle.

No. See above.

>Is it true that the
>hypertech programer only kicks in at full throtle?

Yes and no. Yes, it changes the transmission all the time. No, it does not retune the engine at all throttle positions. I've called Hypertech to get them to clarify and cannot get them to say it advances the timing at all throttle positions.

Yes, I'm a big Diablo fan. But I am admittedly biased because I'm a dealer. I sell both Superchips and Diablo. I personally have tried both, chipped vehicles with both and prefer the Diablo (my wife hates the Superchips but loves the Diablo). Superchips is more consistant with working all the time if the ECU code matches. Diablo gets its right 95% of the time but occasionally needs a code update. With a 4 bank code the percentage of really good code is even better.

Old 05-28-2002, 12:39 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 06-29-2008, 10:40 PM
s-crew
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
superchip sucks

Old 06-30-2008, 08:16 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Have you looked into some thing more custom like SCT?, SCT Automotive Performance Products so you do have to worry about shift pressures. With any custom SCT dealer you can dial in any desired firmness you want.