1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Sick starter...Maybe!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:06 AM
minimumwage
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sick starter...Maybe!

Hello,
My starter has been giving me troubles lately. Now and again I just get the loud clicking. If I keep turning the key, it might click ten times or so, but eventually starts. I tried bypassing the relay with a screwdriver, but it still clicks till it's ready to make contact at the starter. I'll probably be changing it out next week. Was wondering if I could get at it through the dog house, or is it a must to jack it up.
Thanks

96 E150 conversiion van 5.8L

Old 05-27-2007, 07:10 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Please explain a little more clearly.
Where is the clicking coming from, the relay on the fender or down under the engine?
Is there one click when you turn the key to start or a rapped machine gun clicking?

If you do want to change out the starter you would do so from under the Van.

If it is only one click each time you turn the key then it may be a bad connection at the spade connector on the small red wire at the Starter.

If it is the rapped machine gun clicking then you more than likely have a weak Battery or loose connections with the large battery/starter/ground cables.
What does your headlights do while the clicking is happening?

Old 05-27-2007, 07:14 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My thoughts too. I'd check all connecters, brattery connection, and grounds. Could be a low battery, starter, ground, or other wire.

Bob

Old 05-27-2007, 10:27 PM
minimumwage
New User
I should have done a better job of describing my condition. I haven't checked the lights while cranking. Before, and after the lights are bright. My first thought was the cables. I've cleaned the posts, and cables at the battery. I suppose it would be worth the time it takes to follow the cables down to the starter, and clean up any questionable connections. I was going to add a few new grounds anyway. I have gotten the single click while using the ignition key, remote starter, and by using a thick scrwewdriver to bypass the relay near the battery.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:05 PM
minimumwage
New User
P.S. I just went out to start it, since it's dark out, it would be easier to tell about the lights dimming. The first turn of the key started the engine. The second time I turned the key, I got the one large click coming from the starter, or under the engine. The lights dim very slightly while I'm turning the key to the start position. Hope this helps diagnosing. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:50 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
I would say it is a bad connection at the spade connector on the small red wire at the Starter.

You would cut back about an inch of the wire and crimp on a new spade terminal. The spade terminal is push on connector at the solenoid that is on top of the starter.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:39 AM
71shovelhead
New User
Do a voltage drop test between the B+ batery terminal and the B+ terminal on the starter sol this will tell you if the cable/connections are good. Do the same between the starter ground terminal and the battery- terminal (remember this has to be done while cranking) the drop should be less than 1 volt, near 0 optimum

Old 06-11-2007, 12:54 AM
minimumwage
New User
Just wanted to take a minute to thank the folks who kindly helped me with my problem. I just got around to doing it today. It turned out to be the starter itself. I opted for a new one over rebuilt, because it was only about $20. more. I do tend to overuse the remote starter. Thanks again.