1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Back to stock (Well sorta...)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:20 PM
ZVP
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to stock (Well sorta...)

I'm setting up a California 86 F-150 Longbed, 5.0, 4X4 (Factory H/D Package with dual Rancho Gas shocks/front, and single Rancho gas shocks/rear)Autotrans with O/D.
The truck is for light off-road use, Towing a 17 ft 8 passenger 5.0 V8 I/O family boat.
I'm replacing the oversized 32 x 11.5 tires on 12" wide rims with the stock 235 R 78x15 tires likely will be mounted on 7x15 aftermarket steel wheels (ie: RockCrusher steel) One possible tire choice Goodyear Wrangler.
Looking for:
#1 Maximum "Bite"through slick algie coated boatramps
#2 Max fuel mileage due to low stock size tire rolling drag
#3 a semi-restored Stock appearance
The truck has a Cat-Back custom made Magnaflow Dual system (exit behind rear wheels)
I'd like to add a steering Dampener to avoid any of the "wandering" effects now felt with the currentlly on truck, wide offset reversed wheels and harsh riding 8 ply 32" rubber
I think (?) I am heading the right direction to tone down the harsh ride and recover both some minor accelleration (Better suited "Stock Ratios") and on the other end of the spectrum fuel economy and yet keep my rig lookin like a "Guy Truck". The magnaflow Cat-back system is rather quier but I have read that is a good preformance option...
ANy suggestions on tune-up timing settings or perhaps there is a way to program the computer to give best all around economy without sacraficing pulling power?
I know this is a lot to ask about and for , but after 37 years, the Wife just dosent listen...
ZVP

Old 05-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
I'd like to add a steering Dampener to avoid any of the "wandering" effects now felt with the currentlly on truck,
You should not need the damper. If it wanders, it has other problems. The least aggressive tread is going to give the best fuel mileage. Pump them up to the max sidewall pressure for best mileage(but a hard ride).

Old 05-26-2007, 08:35 PM
ZVP
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Franklin2,

Thanks for answering!
The Steering Dampener was suggested because of my towing different trailers with it. The Boat trailer is a twin axle and will primarilly be highway and boat rampe (Both paved), however we have Horses and sometimes the roads to trail drop-off points are less than smooth. I figgured it couldn't hurt having it on the truck with 4000lbs plus swaying around in the Horse trailer.
Also I've been told the twin I Beams have suttle geomitry changes in the steering and they tended to wander more than other designs....
You're right a good front end shouldn't be sacrey to drive for SURE!
Doggon-it!
Thje hardest part is locating a plain set of "Stock" 15x6.5 -15x7 rims in the wreckers!
I found a sweet deal on a set of brand new "Rock Crusher" Steel wheels with near stock width (7") and those will likely be the choice. I just want to keep close as possible to the stock offset and width. Ford wants WAY too much for replacememts!
Thanks for the help buddy!
ZVP