copper lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Lui
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
copper lines

Greetings, I was wondering if copper tubing is suitable for use on
transmission cooling lines, brake lines,power steering all I have ever seen is rubber hoses and steel lines. Is it that copper cannot do the job or is it a cost thing.
Was wonderin cause I gotta replace some lines on my truck and being a plumber I thought it might look cool using copper instead.
thanks
Lui

Old 05-22-2007, 03:03 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Good question Lui, I don't know why it wouldn't work, but maybe someone else can shed some light on the subject.

I do know that the steel is not a thin wall.

John

Old 05-22-2007, 04:25 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used copper for coolant and fuel and had no problems.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:56 AM
frty7ford
Elder User
unless they can stand a lot of pressure I would not use copper for power steering. While I was in the Navy we lost a power steering line on a work truck. we needed the truck and instead of waiting it took the old line to the hydrolics shop they made a 1500 psi line and it came apart when it was used next we made a 3000 psi line and it held. by the way both of these lines were leak and pressure checked prior to installation. copper should work for everything else as they are all low pressure. It would even work for the return line on the power steering.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:52 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
They apparently don't allow copper for LP or propane on vehicles anymore because of the danger of cracking from vibration. I have heard that copper was also illegal for use on gasoline fuel lines but I have not seen any specific regulatory text on that. On the other hand Coast Guard regulations require copper fuel lines. I guess steel rusting in a marine environment is more of a hazard then copper cracking.

I would not use copper for any hydraulic line like on a PS system. Due to corrosion I would not use copper for brake lines either.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:31 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Found copper did not withstand vibration.

dave

Old 05-23-2007, 08:44 AM
wizzard351
Postmaster
copper isnot allowed as breaklines either.they can burst from the psi. well atleast thats what a statetrooper told me years back when i had to have a car inspected

Old 05-23-2007, 08:59 AM
merlynr
Posting Guru
The auto tranny lines on my 65 are copper and it has been that way for several years with no problems. Not hooked to radiator directly as I have a section of rubber hose for vibration purposes.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:00 AM
RaleighDad66
Senior User
Copper is too malleable for use on brake lines and fuel lines, especially considering these are critical systems. Please don't use it. Steel lines are easily bent unless you need a very sharp radius.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:11 AM
magee
Elder User
I think the copper is a cool idea, but I have to agree that they probably wouldn't hold up too well and there really aren't any systems that failure would be okay. Now for an unsolicited idea.....I like the idea of personalizing your truck by using copper lines to tie into plumbing. How about using some copper tubing as a sleeve on the lines that are visible? A little polishing and a squirt of clear coat and they would look great for a long time.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:24 AM
berkad
Posting Guru
I found this

"Copper-nickel alloy C70600, an alloy of 90% copper and 10% nickel, is inherently corrosion resistant to road salt, and its use as brake tubing is increasing based on: 1) Changing life-expectancy for automotive vehicles; 2) Worldwide service-experience data on brake tubing wear; and 3) Increasing cost of corrosion-retarding coatings for steel brake tubing.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Lui
Freshman User
So from what I gather its ok to do the transmission lines with copper and not the others. I cant see why vibration would damage it any if you use the correct fittings (flare) and the soft copper tubing maybe grade K. copper's rated bursting pressure is extremely high but I guess for hydraulics the fittings can posses problems. As for corrosion the worst thing about copper is that it has to be isolated from contact with any other metals.

thanks alot
Lui

Old 05-23-2007, 01:33 PM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Lui
So from what I gather its ok to do the transmission lines with copper and not the others. I cant see why vibration would damage it any if you use the correct fittings (flare) and the soft copper tubing maybe grade K. copper's rated bursting pressure is extremely high but I guess for hydraulics the fittings can posses problems. As for corrosion the worst thing about copper is that it has to be isolated from contact with any other metals.

thanks alot
Lui
The fittings don't matter, copper will fatigue over time from the vibration, stress harden, and eventually fail. If your going for looks, I agree, polished copper would be cool, however you can get a similar look using brass. Brass does not have the severity of issues that copper does in this application.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:41 PM
RaleighDad66
Senior User
Recently, our A&E firm has spec'd stainless over copper because of the increasing costs of copper. I saw an engineering bulletin stating copper has doubled in price in 6 months. I was also in a drum (as in the instrument) shop and the owner was complaining that he had four price increases over the past year on cymbals. So the moral of the story is you might have your pretty copper tubing swiped from under your truck!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:07 PM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Exclamation

ProStock and RalieghDad are Absolutely Spot on right.
Copper fatigues by brittling over time & useage and when it does fail it will fail catastrophically.
NHRA and AHRA and many other sanctioning bodies will not allow copper fuel or brake lines, and if they caught copper lines in A/T coolant circuit, they probably would not allow you to run. When (not If) copper line(s) fail you will douse the track with ATF and others will pay the price in safety or equipment. I go with A&N Grade stainless or a SAE Rated Steel tubing myself.

FBp