6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Anyone running the Banks Ram Air Intake??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:18 PM
jjnord
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running the Banks Ram Air Intake??

I just ordered mine and was wonderinf what everyone's thoughts on it are
Thanks!

Old 05-19-2007, 12:49 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They are overpriced poor filtering crap like all the other A/M air intake systems for the 6.0. It will not increase your performance but it will increase the dirt ingested by your turbo and motor. It may also void your warranty.

Get your money back and spend it on something else.

The factory Donaldson air intake is the best intake and filter to use on the 6.0 and it flows more air than the 6.0 can use until you exceed 500+HP (this takes more than a tuner to achieve).

Old 05-19-2007, 08:10 PM
ECA
Senior User
I think BlackHat thought you were talking about the Cold Air intake, if you are talking about the Banks High Ram intake elbow. Just installed it. Check the new post.

EA

PS. I use the AEM Brute force Cold Air,, not sure about the Banks one.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:02 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ECA
I think BlackHat thought you were talking about the Cold Air intake, if you are talking about the Banks High Ram intake elbow. Just installed it. Check the new post.
Well he did ask about the Banks "Ram Air" intake as opposed to the Banks "High Ram" Intake

http://bankspower.com/newproducts-2-06ra.cfm

Guess he will have to post back as to which one he was refering to.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:13 PM
ECA
Senior User
Black Hat,

You are right... my bad..

Old 05-19-2007, 09:19 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ECA
Black Hat,

You are right... my bad..
Maybe,... maybe not. He needs to post a clarification for us as the names are similar, and when i first saw his post i thought the samething you did till i looked it up.

So another post will help

Old 05-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Squatch
New User
Originally Posted by blackhat620
They are overpriced poor filtering crap like all the other A/M air intake systems for the 6.0. It will not increase your performance but it will increase the dirt ingested by your turbo and motor. It may also void your warranty.

Get your money back and spend it on something else.

The factory Donaldson air intake is the best intake and filter to use on the 6.0 and it flows more air than the 6.0 can use until you exceed 500+HP (this takes more than a tuner to achieve).
Do you have a link to the donaldson air intake??? I was just going to change mine out and took 10 minutes and SOB is still in the truck...so want to change it out to something that will flow better than stock.

thanks.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:38 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the donaldson is the oem filter system on youre truck ck some of the other posts by searching A/M intake you eill see why I replaced my afe stage II with the stock intake & filter, asit will flow sufficent for up to 500 hp & will hold 3lbs of dirt before replacement is nessecary it took me a while but I have been convinced that fords r&d budget on PSD filtration is probably more than banks, afe, volant, k&n, s&h & all others total line r&d combined! I am not willing to gamble my engine on a sales gimick! are you?

Old 05-20-2007, 12:57 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Squatch
Do you have a link to the donaldson air intake??? I was just going to change mine out and took 10 minutes and SOB is still in the truck...so want to change it out to something that will flow better than stock.

thanks.
For Donaldson here is the website.
http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/s...ary/001220.pdf

As far as changing the factory filter there is a trick to it and it is explained in the Tech folder
http://home.austin.rr.com/sbv1/Proce...irFilterRR.htm

and a link with pictures
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-01.php

BTW you only need to change the filter when the filter minder indicates it is time. And this can be up to 80K miles.
www.filterminder.com/

And the recent TSB as posted by BTH
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/61...-0-owners.html

So do yourself and your engine a favor and keep the factory Donaldson unit

Hope this helps

Old 05-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Squatch
New User
Thanks guys, I did a search on donaldson after I posted...what a dumba$$ I am..sorry...thanks for the info and links. No I am not going to gamble with my engine. I read on one of the posts that more flow means bigger holes in the filter so air can get through it...makes sense...I'm at 90k+ right now and don't know if PO changed it...I looked at it and seen that it was dirty..but the gauge doesn't say that it needs changed...so I am leaving it...

off to search about this zoodad thing...or what ever it is called.

thanks again guys.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:05 PM
jjnord
Freshman User
sorry for any confussion guys...
ya, I was asking about the Banks new cold "ram" air intake.
I thought I remembered reading here several months ago about how the Banks intake that was comming out maybe the only good aftermarket unit.
I had $400 burning a hold in my pocket and just ordered it.
I was wondering if anyone else has taken the leap and just did it to try it out too.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:09 PM
jjnord
Freshman User
Wink

ya, what he said
I guess I'm going to hyjinx my own thread...
I can't seem to find a "how to" for the Zoodad mod, anyone have it?
thanks again!

Old 05-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Squatch
New User
am looking myself, will post it here if I find.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:55 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jjnord
sorry for any confussion guys...
ya, I was asking about the Banks new cold "ram" air intake.
I thought I remembered reading here several months ago about how the Banks intake that was comming out maybe the only good aftermarket unit.
I had $400 burning a hold in my pocket and just ordered it.
I was wondering if anyone else has taken the leap and just did it to try it out too.
Million dollar question is "Good for What?"

Since the stock Donaldson filter can flow more air than the 6.0L can use until you get to 500+ Hp, what is the A/M filter going to gain you other than more dirt in the engine?

Since the engine is already receiving more air than it can use with the OEM Donaldson filter, you will see no performance gains with the A/M systems.

Not trying to pick on you but when we have guys that race the 6.0L with with an insane amount of Hp and over 950lb ft of torque state that through real world testing the OEM system is the best and you will see no performance benefits using A/M systems until you reach at least 500+ Hp.

Problem with Banks is they are "Legends in their own minds" they are masters at slick marketing, and overpriced products.

You did not list the mods on your truck, but for $400 bucks there are several proven mods that you could purchase that would be a much better use of the money IMO.

Have you installed a "Fluidampr", coolant filter, fuel cross over kit, gauges, exhaust?

Old 05-20-2007, 10:22 PM
LAWNMOWER MAN
Senior User
I Agree I Had A Afe Stage 2 And Put The Stock Filter Back On I Hate To Admit It B Ut The Stcol Filter Runs Avery Bit A S Good As My Afe Stage 2 If Not Better Even With The Hottest Of Programs, I Will Say With The Proguard 7 After 25'000 Miles No Dirt Or Dust Was Found After The Filter

Quick Reply: Anyone running the Banks Ram Air Intake??