1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How good are you with a file?? ... F1/F6 Pitman Arm idea..

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 05:57 PM
robertr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How good are you with a file?? ... F1/F6 Pitman Arm idea..

While I'm still working on getting parts rounded up to fit in a power steering box, I decided to go ahead on my F1 with using an F6 Steering box. The one I have is near perfect, and with the modification of one hole in the frame, it is a bolt in. The pitman arm deal was a little frustrating though in that the length of the F6 one is enough longer to likely create bump steer, ...... so I began hunting for a pitman arm that would fit on the F6 box, but would have the right length, and would allow the use of the F1 size Ball Stud. After digging through all my inventory, I came up with a very beefy steering arm that did both. I'm not sure what it came off of, but if you look at the photo below, somebody can probably tell by the part number on it what it was originally on. The arm was not initially a correct fit to work in the drag link mode though as the 4 flats in the arm made it not locate correctly. I did some measuring and found that with some very careful filing of the flats, the arm would become a fully splined one that could be located anywhere on the shaft of the steering box. The arm also had the right tapered hole in the outer end to use a 1" ball stud.

If you look at the next photo, you will see the fitted arm on the F6 box, and see that it will work as needed. The nifty part of this is that the arm is identical in length to the F1 arm, is much beefier, and allows the ball stud to be replaced. The F6 box also has a much slower turning ratio, so will make for easier steering in town, where this rig will spend most of its drive time. Might even work out to not need the power steering idea if this works well enough. Around where I live, there seems to be a lot more of the F5/F6 trucks laying about than the pickups, so the boxes are very available.

Hopefully someone out there can identify what pitman arm this is. That would be helpful for others thinking of doing this deal.

Bob in Spokane

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-19-2007, 06:11 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robertr
The F6 box also has a much slower turning ratio, so will make for easier steering in town, where this rig will spend most of its drive time. Might even work out to not need the power steering idea if this works well enough. Around where I live, there seems to be a lot more of the F5/F6 trucks laying about than the pickups, so the boxes are very available.

Hopefully someone out there can identify what pitman arm this is. That would be helpful for others thinking of doing this deal.

Bob in Spokane
Bob,

Can't help with the pitman arm...but,

Many years ago I used a large Ford truck box (don't remember exactly which one) in a 31 Plymouth coupe I built. Although it did have a slower turning ratio which was good, it also had a large turning radius...not so good. So large in fact, that I had to be careful where I tried to turn the car around to keep from having to back up. It's no fun when you need a football field to turn around in. I hope you don't experience a similar situation...

Old 05-19-2007, 05:27 PM
robertr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vern,

The turn radius still is the same. The arc traveled by the pitman is essentially the same, might even be a little more than the F1. The steering stops on the axle still are met in either direction. Once this gets on the road, I'll be able to tell if this works as it hopefully will for ease of steering and overall driveability.

Bob

Old 05-20-2007, 05:34 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robertr
Vern,

The turn radius still is the same.
Bob
Then it should work fine. Good luck to you...