N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez
View Poll Results: Should off-topic posts posts be allowed in threads discussing chapter business?
Yes, members should be free to post anything they wish.
37.50%
No, only posts discussing the subject of the thread should be allowed.
62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Off-Topic Posts to important threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 05:19 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off-Topic Posts to important threads

This poll and the discussion below it has to do with off-topic post to threads that are important to the operation of the Chapter. Nobody wants to have their post censored, nor is that what it is about.

Off-topic posts are not a problem most of the time. However, they are a problem in threads where chapter plans are being made. I want every member to express his or her opinion without having to wade through a bunch of idle chit-chat and posts that are not relevant to the discussion.

It is not that I want to stop someone from posting something, I just want them to post it to a new thread, or to an existing one where it would be more relevant. Nor do I care what is posted to most threads, just the ones that are important to the operation of the Chapter.

In the thread planning a Memorial Day Gathering, Nighteyez told me to calm down. He had posted 4 times about a meeting he knew he could not attend, and went off topic with a discussion about his new vehicle. I guess he was offended when I ask him to post his vehicle discussion to a new thread.

I think we should try for a chapter that does things, not one that just talks about doing things. I also want every member to read the posts and express an opinion. I worry that off-topic posts that the member may not be interested in will discourage him/her from reading further, or from posting his/her thoughts.

The question this poll asks is “should off-topic posts be allowed in threads discussing Chapter business. A yes indicates that members are free to post on any subject they wish, a no indicates that only posts discussing the subject of the thread should be allowed. Members wanting to post other items must do so elsewhere.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:21 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Gonna be so tough for us yahoos to stay on topic about near anything, but I'll give it a shot!

Old 05-05-2007, 07:34 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
It only hurts for a little while - and you can post what you want to the other threads! (well, almost - Dan will still require you to stay within the "family friendly" guideline.)

Old 05-05-2007, 07:40 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
My $0.02...

If you have someone that persistently works to derail topics, suggest they open a new thread. I can't add a vote to the pole because it is too restrictive. Somewhere in the middle is the inclusive path. There are often small diversions that don't negatively impact the overall thread.

I might suggest that encouraging participation is a good thing, even if it is slightly off topic.

Last edited by AnOldDog; 05-05-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:55 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
AnOldDog, please vote. I am seeking guidance from the chapter and your vote counts.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:51 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by WillyB
AnOldDog, please vote. I am seeking guidance from the chapter and your vote counts.
Add a vote that say's, "we will encourage persistent violators to start a new thread" and I'll vote for that. A strict yes/no, I can't support. It is about inclusion and welcoming new members, right?

Last edited by AnOldDog; 05-05-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:09 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AnOldDog
. . . . It is about inclusion and welcoming new members, right?
No, wrong. New members are welcome to give their opinions, but the threads I am talking about have to do with the operation of the chapter. Nor do I want to leave a grey area that someone will need to interpretate, and argue about after.

So far the moderators have shown good judgement, and I would expect them to continue. Again, remember we are not saying that you can not post your statement, only asking that you move it to another thread.

The software will not allow me to add another vote - but we can accept what you say as a maybe yes, maybe no answer.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:24 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
So far the moderators have shown good judgement, and I would expect them to continue.
Agreed. The moderators have shown good judgement and can be expected to continue this trend.

Again, remember we are not saying that you can not post your statement, only asking that you move it to another thread.
Yup, The moderators, and/or the members have the right to insist that a new appropriate thread should be initiated. I am only suggesting that a post or two does not constitute abuse.

The software will not allow me to add another vote - but we can accept what you say as a maybe yes, maybe no answer.
Accept my vote as a community monitoring of appropriate contributions. A little slack is not a bad thing.

Last edited by AnOldDog; 05-05-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
I vote for no off topic posts. And in the future you will not see any off topic posts by me, that is if you see any at all.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:12 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I think it's silly - we are all friends here, and being reprimanded for straying off-topic seems a little over the top, to say the least. I think it's especially important in a group like this that no one gets their feelings hurt or their toes stepped on. From Jim's post, it looks as though that's already happened.

But Clint does have a point - for important threads like getting together, the signal to noise ratio needs to be kept in line.

So I would propose a different solution - Clint, just keep all the relevant information regarding the next meet in a locked sticky at the top of the forum. That way, people can get a summary of everything, who's going, what to bring, where, etc. in one place *and* we can still yammer on about whatever we want.

All in favor, crack open a beer.

Last edited by andym; 05-07-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:05 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by andym
. . . being reprimanded for straying off-topic seems a little over the top, to say the least.. . . .

Clint, just keep all the relevant information regarding the next meet in a locked sticky at the top of the forum. That way, people can get a summary of everything, who's going, what to bring, where, etc. in one place *and* we can still yammer on about whatever we want.

All in favor, crack open a beer.
There will be no reprimand, the off-topic post will be moved to a new thread is all that will happen.

Also, Chapter Leaders are not authorized to move posts, make something a sticky note, or to lock a thread. Those are the moderator's duties.

You can still yammer on about whatever you want, just not in important threads.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:35 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Over 100 views, 10 posts but only 6 votes? This poll will close tomorrow, so better let me know what you want.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:58 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Look on the bright side, Clint. Not counting you, there are four unique posters in this thread. The views number is rarely anywhere close to accurate. So you're actually getting more people to vote than have posted.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AnOldDog
My $0.02...

If you have someone that persistently works to derail topics, suggest they open a new thread. I can't add a vote to the pole because it is too restrictive. Somewhere in the middle is the inclusive path. There are often small diversions that don't negatively impact the overall thread.

I might suggest that encouraging participation is a good thing, even if it is slightly off topic.
This reply, is already well stated as my reply. Couldn't have said it better Chet.
I agree with this reply, Clint. I understand your point completely, but I also believe that off topic posts, to an extent, are the price of internet communication. And communication is one of the most difficult catalyst's, holding the human race together. Especially, electronically. Here, it is too difficult to vote, as the perception of such could be ambiguous.

BTW, I sincerely appreciate all of the much thought out effort you put into the management of this chapter forum. You're doing a darned good job Clint. Keep it up, and let democracy prevail.

Last edited by olfordsnstone; 05-08-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:39 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
. . . . let democracy prevail.
What is more democratic than a vote? You guys are forcing the moderators and me to make a decision on the posts - something no one wants to do.

Step up and be counted - or forever hold your peace.

Quick Reply: Off-Topic Posts to important threads