6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

The "fun" continues

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:26 PM
myotis
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "fun" continues

Ford and Navistar are still at each others throats, here is what I just found:

Navistar seeks $2 bln from Ford as spat escalates
Wed May 2, 2007 9:10 PM BST
Email This Article | Print This Article | RSS [-] Text [+]
CHICAGO (Reuters) - Truck and engine maker Navistar International Corp. (NAVZ.PK: Quote, Profile , Research) said on Wednesday it had filed an amended counter-complaint in its legal fight with Ford Motor Co. (F.N: Quote, Profile , Research) that seeks damages of more than $2 billion from the troubled Detroit automaker.

Navistar, the exclusive supplier of diesel engines to Ford's Super Duty pickups since 1979, said the amended complaint was prompted by indications that Ford was planning to develop diesel engines of its own for introduction prior to 2012.

The counter-claim is the latest twist in contract dispute that begin in January, when Ford sued Navistar over warranty costs and engine prices related to the contract for the F-Series, the most popular vehicles in their class.

That prompted Navistar to briefly cut off diesel engine shipments to Ford -- though a judge later ordered the company to resume those shipments while the case proceeds.

The "fun" continues. This will be interesting,

Myotis

Old 05-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Enomra
Elder User
The best way for a company to hold onto a customer is to treat them fair and give them something that they can not get somewhere else. Navistar has done that in the past and now they are cutting their own throats. If I was on Ford's management team I would also look at making the engines in house. Right now Navistar does not want to help pay for the warranty claims and they have raised their engine price to Ford. With Ford being in the situation that they are in and needing to cut costs I feel they can make a very reliable engine in house for less than outsourcing. At this point Navistar is not bringing much to the table that Ford can't find elsewhere.

Just my thoughts!!!!

Old 05-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Big Sky Rancher
Senior User
What bothers me is the potential for disgruntled Navistar employees having the attitude of I'll build you an engine MF, rather than doing their best to build quality.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:12 AM
myotis
Freshman User
I am not sure it is that easy for Ford to design and build their own diesel engine. In my opinion they are between a rock and hard place. They won't get a Cummings, Chrysler keeps it's hands on that engine tightly. They won't get a Duramax either and as said designing and building a very complex diesel engine may be just wishful thinking.

In my opinion the best way to get to a Win-Win situation with Navistar is keep negotiating until both companies needs are met (see Dr. Steven Covey's "7 Habits of highly effective poeple"). If Ford and Navistar keep sueing each other both companies will lose and so will the customers. I for example will not buy a Ford with the 6.4L diesel engine until I see this dispute solved and until data show that this is a good and reliable engine.

Those are my thoughts,

Myotis

Old 05-03-2007, 11:32 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Enomra
With Ford being in the situation that they are in and needing to cut costs I feel they can make a very reliable engine in house for less than outsourcing. At this point Navistar is not bringing much to the table that Ford can't find elsewhere.

Ford may be able to find engines elsewhere but it takes tremendous amounts of resources to develop and certify an engine for EPA emissions in this day and age. Doubtful Ford themselves can do it for less than outsourcing.
IMO its all "sabre rattling" on both Ford and Internationals part.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Enomra
Elder User
Very true but when you look at the margins that Navistar is making on the engine and Ford knowing that they can sell X amount each year there is a lot of $ for R&D...

Lets hope cooler heads prevail and they both move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:42 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by Enomra
Very true but when you look at the margins that Navistar is making on the engine and Ford knowing that they can sell X amount each year there is a lot of $ for R&D...
R&D where? The only R&D that goes on anymore is by the buying customer.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:04 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Navistar didn't create the so called problems with the 6.0, In my opinion. I haven't seen any evidence the 6.0 was any worst then the 7.3 for what it was designed to do, (it’s lighter duty then the 7.3 and it was put in a vehicle that needed more). They built what Ford specked. Ford didn't realize people would try to put 200 HP Programmers and try to get warranty work out of them. Navistar has to be allowed to make a profit just like Ford. If Navistar accepts Fords position they will no longer be able to build any Diesel Motors or anything else for that matter. It’s called being out of business. Both companies will have to give a little. I will say this Ford had better watch out Navistar could shutter the doors “Friday” and Ford would be shut out of the Diesel market for 5 years at least!! Bankruptcy court could really play havoc on Fords ability to Sell Diesels they don’t have!!

Old 05-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Enomra
Elder User
Your statements about the problems from consumers adding 200 hp and trying to get warranty work is way off base. If the only problems Ford had with theses engines were related to aftermarket equipment then we wouldn't even be talking about issues with the 6.0. You cannot blame stuck unison rings(sticky turbo's), faulty EGR's, leaking and sticking Injectors, wire Chaffing and the constant reprogramming on the aftermarket world.

Sorry I'm not buying it.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:30 PM
allisonta
Junior User
I'll stick to my 7.3L, there isn't a new truck that I would buy over it. I have three buddies with the 6.0L and they have had more problems than I ever heard of with the 7.3L. The latest one is really bad hunting like 1200 rpm.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Enomra
Elder User
The 6.0 is a great engine I just don't think that the problems some have had are all related to aftermarket upgrades ie. programmers. I will still take my 6.0 over a 7.3 mainly because of the newer trannys...

Old 05-03-2007, 05:29 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
I've got a 7.3 and 2 6.0s and I never had a Engine Related problem with the 6.0s. I have with the 7.3 but at 203,000 miles it's not like it was Fords or Navistars Fault!!

Old 05-03-2007, 05:38 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
6.Slows are trouble makers, and they have been that way from the get-go. Like stated above, problems range anywhere from a sticky turbo to bad injectors to garbage harnesses. The list goes on. I will say that most every engine has its trouble and in my opinion it seems the 6.slow has more then its fair share. It'll be a sad day if Ford and Navistar decide to go opposite ways. The used powerstroke market prices will go through the roof.

Cowboy Steve

Old 05-03-2007, 05:40 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MobeyDick
I never had a Engine Related problem with the 6.0s.
You should fell blessed because your one of the few that haven't had issues with 'em brother

Cowboy Steve

Old 05-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
I never had a problem with my old 4,6

Quick Reply: The "fun" continues