New Hampshire Chapter Join Chapter Leader: 7283-F250

Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:25 AM
mlafortu
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roll Call

Post up your information, as much or as little as you want. One requirement would be location so that we can start a "push pin" map to help with scheduling events. sglaine, can you please make this thread stickied to the top so it can be referenced easily. I'll start.

Mike Lafortune
Manchester, NH
Manufacturing Engineer
12/11/76
mplafortune at earthlink dot net
2000 SVT Contour (1584), Silver Frost
2004 F350 Superduty V10, True Blue

Old 01-23-2007, 09:04 AM
matt h
Junior User
i'm in.
heavy equipment operator
01superdutycrew cab dually,7.3,L stacks,chipped,shift kit

Old 01-23-2007, 11:03 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I don't like putting that much info out on the net..

No problem with you guys knowing..

The problem is you are giving marketers the info they need.

Don't forget they can see this too..

A better way is to PM the info to someone and they can create a Excel Spreadsheet...

I can do this if you want to send me the info or if anyone else wants to do it.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:57 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by donjamer
I don't know about you guys, but I don't like putting that much info out on the net..

No problem with you guys knowing..

The problem is you are giving marketers the info they need.

Don't forget they can see this too..

A better way is to PM the info to someone and they can create a Excel Spreadsheet...

I can do this if you want to send me the info or if anyone else wants to do it.

I have to agree with you on that one.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:26 PM
mlafortu
Junior User
Originally Posted by sglaine
I have to agree with you on that one.
Well, just trying to help. It works on the Contour boards. We have 31 people in our roll call thread, and we just recently had the boards updated and the old ones were archived and it was still going with 155 posts. That's just for New England, and the Contour is a dead platform. We just had a meet in Attleboro MA with 10+ cars, with 2 or 3 people for each car! There was 16 people for dinner and that was after some had to leave early. This was all planned with a week and a half notice.

All you really need is a first name and location. Is that too much info? I typed my email in order to avoid the spam searching software that's everywhere.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:33 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by mlafortu
Well, just trying to help. It works on the Contour boards. We have 31 people in our roll call thread, and we just recently had the boards updated and the old ones were archived and it was still going with 155 posts. That's just for New England, and the Contour is a dead platform. We just had a meet in Attleboro MA with 10+ cars, with 2 or 3 people for each car! There was 16 people for dinner and that was after some had to leave early. This was all planned with a week and a half notice.

All you really need is a first name and location. Is that too much info? I typed my email in order to avoid the spam searching software that's everywhere.

I know your trying to help and I very much appreciate.. But some people like to keep there info private..

By having someone do the book work on like exel or something like that having members send a PM to that person is a better idea. I think.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 AM
mlafortu
Junior User
I'm just not understanding this. People are afraid of letting out too much info, but they want to be part of this chapter, so they are going to PM their info to one person to make a spreadsheet. How will this spreadsheet be available to view? If you make it viewable here then people's info will be seen by everyone, just as if people just posted their info. Also, the spreadsheet will be static, meaning that when people come and go, it won't get updated automatically. The "Roll Call" thread is dynamic, meaning its always changing and evolving. When a new person comes along and sees a stickied thread at the top called "Roll Call", they can add their name on their own and also see if there are others in their area.

It sounds like we're making this more difficult. A spreadsheet will be the same as a roll call thread, unless you don't want the spreadsheet viewable by anyone, in which case, what's it the point?

This was tried by the Contour group already and it became too much of a hassle that we created the roll call and it works flawlessly. If you're afraid of identity theft or something, then only put your first name and locale. Hell, you can even use a fake name.

Just my $.02. I know you're trying to pull us all together, but it seems we're being a bit counter-productive.

Last edited by mlafortu; 01-24-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:24 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
I'm just not understanding this. People are afraid of letting out too much info, but they want to be part of this chapter, so they are going to PM their info to one person to make a spreadsheet. How will this spreadsheet be available to view? If you make it viewable here then people's info will be seen by everyone, just as if people just posted their info. Also, the spreadsheet will be static, meaning that when people come and go, it won't get updated automatically. The "Roll Call" thread is dynamic, meaning its always changing and evolving. When a new person comes along and sees a stickied thread at the top called "Roll Call", they can add their name on their own and also see if there are others in their area.

It sounds like we're making this more difficult. A spreadsheet will be the same as a roll call thread, unless you don't want the spreadsheet viewable by anyone, in which case, what's it the point?

This was tried by the Contour group already and it became too much of a hassle that we created the roll call and it works flawlessly. If you're afraid of identity theft or something, then only put your first name and locale. Hell, you can even use a fake name.

Just my $.02. I know you're trying to pull us all together, but it seems we're being a bit counter-productive.

I see where your coming from. Maybe we should have a poll on this. I just want to be able to grant some of the members wish's to protect there info if they wish to have that done.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:12 AM
7283-F250
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The pushpin map can just have a dot per person or dots for the town or nearest large town/city.

For example I'm in Fremont NH but nearest well known town would be Exeter NH but I could also say Manchester NH as it's like 15-20 miles away. Of I could say Concord NH where I work and am at 5 of 7 days durring the week. If I carred about putting my location out I could tell you guys Exeter or Manchester. No one would be the wiser and you'd just think I'm from one of the 2 Towns. New England is big and 15-20 mils is really nothing compaired to the area NE covers.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:31 AM
donjamer

That is not what we are intending to do, make info public. I am making a spreadsheet so we can translate it to a map. This way we can see were people are coming from and try and schedule meetings that everyone will attend. After the spreadsheet is created everyone can have a copy(Not Public).. I don't mind if you guys know where I live, but there are people viewing this site just for the chance of gathering info (Names, email, Address). Then they can sell it and then we get junk mail.

True The spreadsheet is more static and depends on someone to update, but it is easier to search than the website, because everything is seperated. You can search by city, state, or username..

The roll call aspect is ok, but it is not flawless..The thread just keeps growing and growing and harder to view. You can't just look at it and see everything sorted by city or state. Also no one knows if the person is still active.

Initially creating the spreadsheet is time consuming, but once it is upto date the administration of it is simple. A spreadsheet is NOT the same as the roll call thread. How do you look at the roll call thread to see if someone is in your city? You have to go through every thread Correct? Well that is fine for a few pages, but over time the thread can grow to 20 pages or more. Is a new user going to go through all 20 pages to find someone near him? I don't think so..

Old 01-24-2007, 01:31 PM
mlafortu
Junior User
Ok. It won't be terribly friendly to newbies though, since its going to be so private.

The pushpin map thing I was talking about would be the easy way to see if people are near you. It would have gone hand in hand with the roll call thread. Google has a map thing that you could use, IIRC.

Well, good luck with everything.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:28 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Ok. It won't be terribly friendly to newbies though, since its going to be so private.

The pushpin map thing I was talking about would be the easy way to see if people are near you. It would have gone hand in hand with the roll call thread. Google has a map thing that you could use, IIRC.

Well, good luck with everything.

Push pin Idea is great would you like to set that up? Please

Old 01-25-2007, 12:56 PM
mlafortu
Junior User
Originally Posted by sglaine
Push pin Idea is great would you like to set that up? Please
Well, it seems like its already happening. I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:47 PM
donjamer
Well, it seems like its already happening. I don't want to step on anyone's toes.
Matt

If you want to do it go ahead.. Not stepping on any toes here.

I will continue to gather any info I can to create the map.

Let me know if you need any info

Old 01-26-2007, 10:48 AM
mlafortu
Junior User
Originally Posted by donjamer
Matt

If you want to do it go ahead.. Not stepping on any toes here.

I will continue to gather any info I can to create the map.

Let me know if you need any info
Well, the frappr map from google asks for email addy's, so we can't do that.

Last edited by mlafortu; 01-26-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Roll Call