New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Exhaust

Old 08-10-2001, 10:00 PM
tx83bronco
Junior User
Dual Exhaust

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but does anybody know if anyone makes a dual exhaust for an '83 Bronco? (i couldn't find anything in the archives or past posts) Preferably 3". Summit racing equip sells exhaust pipe by 4 ft sections for about $12 for a 3"X 4ft section and i thought i could try to bend it myself or have a muffler shop do it. Has anyone tried this before? I think 3" dual exhaust with flowmasters and good tips would sound pretty good eh? Thanks.

Old 08-11-2001, 06:09 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dual Exhaust

I can take a pretty fair guess and say no, assuming you're talking about a true dual system, since it's illegal to run to the best of my knowledge. This is not to say that people aren't doing it, nor is it to say that people who have fabricated their own with dual cats aren't passing state inspections. But, to my understanding, equipping a vehicle with dual exhaust (i.e. true duals) that was not originally equipped with the option is against federal law, so it is highly unlikely that you'll find anyone offering a kit (I could always be wrong, though, as you could find one marketed as an "off road" exhaust.) If this sort of thing concerns you, you may consider a cat back system, which you could likely order for a later year and adapt to your '83, if any modifications were needed at all. There are a number of kits using single inlet / single outlet or single inlet / dual outlets. I do have to agree..... true dual Flowmasters would sound good. I'm considering a single inlet / dual outlet Flowmaster for my '85, which is currently a single in & out Flowmaster.

Old 08-12-2001, 12:35 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster
Dual Exhaust

I've had 2.5" duals on my '82 for 15 years. A muffler shop originally fabricated the pipes and about five years ago I had another shop replace them. Be cautious about how you route them; I tried running them straight out the back and was almost gassed if the window was open even 1". They both exit at the stock position.

Old 09-01-2001, 03:38 PM
DeGideo
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dual Exhaust

Your Bronco sounds nice.I have a '90 Bronco with a dual 2 1/4" exhaust system,with Flowmasters on it.Power has picked up,and it sounds VERY good! Any competent exhaust shop can put a set of duals on your '83. My exhaust cost me $600,with the Flowmasters being about $200 of that.Well worth the extra cost. As for it being "illegal",I'll tell you a bit of irony.My Bronco recently was inspected. It's actually running CLEANER than last year's results when I had the O.E.M. set-up on it!!! I find this FASCINATING!