Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Anybody in eastern WA want to show me how to rebuild a carb?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:17 AM
lud04X
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody in eastern WA want to show me how to rebuild a carb?

MY 1978 F150 with a 2bbl 2150 motorcraft carb (for a 351M motor) needs a rebuild. I have never had anything but fuel injected vehicles. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to show me how to rebuild the carb. I'd buy that rebuild kit and kick in some beer and food for anyone to show me. I've read the directions on the net but would still like some help. I got this truck because I like the style and wanted to learn while I build it up.

My buddy offered me his Holley Pro-jection kit for 500 bucks but I'm not totally convinced that's the best way to go. I thought I'd rebuild the card since its so cheap for the rebuild kit anyway and go pro-jection only if I wanted to down the road.

Last edited by lud04X; 04-20-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:43 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Rebuild is pretty straightforward, the first time will take ya' a couple of hours but after that it is fast cuz you're familiar with the parts. Work on a clean workbench, lay the parts out after dismantling, if the old one has been on the manifold a long time it may take a new gasket too, gaskets often don't come in rebuild kits. Don't bend the floats. After the rebuild and reinstall, it'll take a minute of starting for the fuel pump to refill the float bowl, then it'll start.

Here's links and directions for different motorcraft carbs:
http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...aft+carburetor

Old 04-22-2007, 07:39 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like Rex said, you should be able to do it yourself. I did one when I was 18 and I'm a mechanically disadvantaged step-child. The instructions come with the kit. Got alot of small pieces (washers and such) so bring your needlenose if you have crushed hands like me. I'm sure if you brought it to the G2G any one of us would be willing to help.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:18 PM
biga17133
Senior User
well i'm getting ready to do mine as well so i'll let you know how hard it is but im going to check out Rexb site first..lol

Old 04-22-2007, 08:24 PM
biga17133
Senior User
ok i've change my mind after reading this;;;
carburetor is fairly easy, even for a novice, if you’ve never done it before, you need to be honest in assessing your capabilities and aptitudes. If you have a hard time understanding exploded view drawings, or if you get frustrated easily when working with small parts that might seem uncooperative, perhaps you should consider taking your carburetor to a qualified automotive technician for a rebuild. I beleve i fit the Furstrated easily catogery...lol

Old 04-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Just be careful when you split it. There's springs and ***** where you least expect them. I lost a little silver ball on the last one I did and couldn't find it. Came out of a port that was hidden untill I cracked it apart. Looked all over for the thing, and finally put it back together without it. I don't know exactly what it does, but nothing worked right without it, so had to trade it off for another. Which actually worked out fine because I upgraded to a 4bbl! So, go slow and watch carefully!

Last edited by Snowbunny; 04-22-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:36 PM
nubeee1
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowbunny
Just be careful when you split it. There's springs and ***** where you least expect them. I lost a little silver ball on the last one I did and couldn't find it. Came out of a port that was hidden untill I cracked it apart. Looked all over for the thing, and finally put it back together without it. I don't know exactly what it does, but nothing worked right without it, so had to tarde it off for another. Which actually worked out fine because I upgraded to a 4bbl! So, go slow and watch carefully!
OMG...............I thik Im in love............
Do you drink beer too????

Old 04-22-2007, 08:43 PM
85_Ford_6.9L_4x4
Senior User
Originally Posted by nubeee1
OMG...............I thik Im in love............
Hey back off, shes mine!!

Old 04-22-2007, 08:59 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Snowbunny
Just be careful when you split it. There's springs and ***** where you least expect them. I lost a little silver ball on the last one I did and couldn't find it. Came out of a port that was hidden untill I cracked it apart. Looked all over for the thing, and finally put it back together without it. I don't know exactly what it does, but nothing worked right without it, so had to tarde it off for another. Which actually worked out fine because I upgraded to a 4bbl! So, go slow and watch carefully!
Exactly. Every piece has it's place in the kit. You must be very careful as I said. If your hands are battered or your fingers chubby I would suggest a pro. If you do it yourself I would suggest alot of light and a table to work on without cracks. Be GENTLE.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nubeee1
OMG...............I think I'm in love............
None of that fancy stuff, just good ol' MGD!

Originally Posted by 85_Ford_6.9L_4x4
Now, now boys! No fightin'! There's enough beer for everybody!

Old 04-22-2007, 09:26 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Obviously there isn't enough SnowBunny for everybody. You just come on over to our camp at G2G and I'll weed out the ones I don't see fit. I don't believe they're gonna come into cowboy camp without flowers and chocolates.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:30 PM
lud04X
Senior User
Thanks for the help, I pulled the carb off the truck and am going to get a rebuild kit tomorrow. I have a daily driver so I can take my time with this rebuild. I'm gonna try that website first.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by oneminizut
Obviously there isn't enough SnowBunny for everybody. You just come on over to our camp at G2G and I'll weed out the ones I don't see fit. I don't believe they're gonna come into cowboy camp without flowers and chocolates.
No flowers and chocolates for me! But a nice set of 12~point, metric, line wrenches might do the trick!

Old 04-22-2007, 10:21 PM
biga17133
Senior User
old tire rebel got some who might help me..(got fat fingers)..

Old 04-23-2007, 12:14 AM
nubeee1
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 85_Ford_6.9L_4x4
Man oh man oh man.................Dont shoot me!!!!!!..... I was just saying she a good woman, In my own way........Can I come out Now????

Quick Reply: Anybody in eastern WA want to show me how to rebuild a carb?