6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Installed the LIPD Cross Over Fuel Line Mod Yesterday and......

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:39 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Installed the LIPD Cross Over Fuel Line Mod Yesterday and......

overall it went OK. I had the use of a lift and the easiest part was removing the exhaust bolts, believe it or not. The Y pipe flex joints allowed just enough movement but was enough to get the plugs out. I could not get a 3/8 drive 6mm allen in the plugs even with the Y pipe exhaust ends moved. On the driver side I used a short 6mm regular allen wrench and used a long boxed end wrench to get leverage to break the plug free. On the passenger side, because of the downpipe, I had to use the same allen wrench but put a 10mm 3/8 drive deep socket on a 3/8 universal turned 90° with an 18" 3/8 extension attached. One wrap with a hammer on the extension and the passenger side plug was free. Make sure the allen wrench is FULLY inserted in the plug. Once they were free, they could be easily removed with fingers. Now here comes the tricky part and in my case the most time consuming. I installed the line on the drivers side first and this is fairly easy to do because the line is hanging straight down. On the passenger side it took me an hour because you need to bend the line and insert the bolt at the same time with almost no room. The sealing washer that seals the fitting to the block kept falling off (about 10 times) so I put a very, very, very small amount of fast curing RTV on the seal and placed it on the fitting. Once it hardened, I could now try to insert the bolt. No luck. I needed another hand to push the line forward to straighten the fitting against the block. Finally, my cousin showed up and he advanced the line while I aligned and inserted the bolt with one hand. That took 5 minutes. I did not have to remove any EGR cooler line clamp as per the directions. Turned the key on and no leaks. Put the exhaust bolts back in and started her up. I had the initial air in the injectors problem but cleared right up.

Initial impressions - it seems to start quicker when hot. Turbo lag seems to be less or I should say not as often and for what reason I don't know. I did not notice a reduction in noise as others have stated but I'm glad that damn thing is in. Will let you know if any other benefits are noticed, like MPG increase. Now I'm going to take my 60 year old sore gimblit a** and put it in the hot tub.

DSMMH

Old 04-16-2007, 02:18 PM
LI PerformanceDiesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some tricks remove the passenger fender well this make getting at that bolt easy. and use vasaline to help so you dont drop the washers.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:18 PM
ripnlips
Senior User
Thanks for the post. Seems like a pain in the azz, hopefully the benefits out way the troubles.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:12 PM
WishIhada7.3
Laughing Gas
hmm its on my mod list would like to hear more results.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:42 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Ive been thinking about doing this as well, just havnt been sure about attempting it myself. Thanks for the info and keep us posted on results.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:18 AM
pstrang
Senior User
Thanks for the write up.

That's interesting that you didn't need to loosen the EGR cooler clamp. You unbolted the passenger side uppipe. But it shouldn't move much at the flex joint if the EGR clamp is still tight.

Last edited by pstrang; 04-17-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:48 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by pstrang
Thanks for the write up.

That's interesting that you didn't need to loosen the EGR cooler clamp. You unbolted the passenger side uppipe. But it shouldn't move much at the flex joint if the EGR clamp is still tight.
You are welcome.

Where is the EGR cooler clamp located? I did not see any clamp attached to the passenger side up pipe.

The driver side up pipe moved easier and further away from the block then the passenger side because the flex joint is higher. After removing the passenger side up pipe exhaust bolts, I took a large screwdriver and CAREFULLY moved the pipe about 3/4" away from the block. That actually gave me a little more room then on the driver side. If I had to do another one, I could cut my install time in about half provided the exhaust bolts came out as easy as mine did. But I'm not doing another one.

OBTW - I would not advise anyone to do this mod unless you have access to a lift.

DSMMH

Old 04-17-2007, 01:29 PM
bansheemike
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My kit is waiting for me at home (I'm in Hawaii right now). Do you really recommend a lift or does it just make it alot easier? I might return mine if it's that much work.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:09 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bansheemike
My kit is waiting for me at home (I'm in Hawaii right now). Do you really recommend a lift or does it just make it alot easier? I might return mine if it's that much work.
I'm not trying to discourage you or anyone from installing the kit. I believe the benefit(s) are worth the effort or I would not have purchased the kit. The logic sounded good. I'm just saying that I'm 60 years old and crawling around on the ground to do this job was not an option for me. I have done a lot worse jobs laying on the ground but I was 20 to 30 years younger.

A lift is not mandatory but, IMO, sure makes the job a lot easier. If you are young maybe 4 jack stands will do the job. Maybe some of the guys who have installed them without a lift could give you some better insight.

DSMMH

Old 04-17-2007, 03:11 PM
pstrang
Senior User
Originally Posted by DSMMH
Where is the EGR cooler clamp located? I did not see any clamp attached to the passenger side up pipe.
The passenger side up pipe connects to the turbo Y-pipe at the top. Then a couple inches below that is clamped with a circular flange onto the EGR cooler (on top of the engine). After that is the flex joint, and then the connection to the passenger side exhaust manifold at the bottom.

I'm also suprised you got the uppipe off the exhaust manifold to move it. It's beveled and fits inside the uppipe. You have to lift it a bit to seperate that junction.

Perhaps the flex joint is more flexible than I thought. Or maybe you have an aftermarket uppipe without the EGR cooler connection? Have you owned the truck since new?

Old 04-17-2007, 08:57 PM
bansheemike
Mountain Pass
Pushing 55 so the jack stands will most likely work...

Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 AM
LI PerformanceDiesel
Senior User
the Install is a Pita. there are some instructions and tip on the TDG. It's worth it but it a tight place to be working the passenger side is a breeze compared to the drivers side. Just pull out th einner fenderliner and you can seee what you are working on. the driver side you need a short 6 mm allen wrench and a n extendsion handcasue they are in there tight. once it is loose your home free just wedge back the lower part of the up pipe with a block of wood the you can get in there to work.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:39 PM
bansheemike
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll give it a go next week.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:54 PM
hott-rodd
Elder User
anymore feedback on this mod?

Old 05-21-2007, 02:03 PM
captaincook
Junior User
what exactly is the mod and what are the benefits? Thanks and sorry for sounding so dumb.

Quick Reply: Installed the LIPD Cross Over Fuel Line Mod Yesterday and......