Old 04-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Washington Chapter

Originally Posted by webmaster
And humble too?
Ken,

You have visited the chapter more than once!...We expect you to become a member...If not, please sign our GuestBook.

When requesting membership to the chapter, please keep the following in mind:

-You must like fun...We all reside in Bellevue...Our caregivers just don't know we have computers.

-You must have a chapter 'green card' if you reside outside of the asylum.

All kidding aside...We have a great chapter...Thanks for the platform!

Old 04-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by oneminizut
The main problem with any MS product that I found is that it's bloated (speaking mainly on Vista) and I cannot hack the code to suit me like I do on my Slackware box. But I guess as long as you can get on and post in FTE columns I'ts just a matter of preference. Now so that I don't sound like I'm coming down to hard on MS, the problems with most Linux distro's is the lack of drivers or having to manipulate one, and I kind of like to play my games without having to use third party or "middleman" software to do so. CHOICE
Sounds like Master Gates has you a bit puzzled!

Old 04-13-2007, 11:19 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
I love OpenOffice. The only problem I've had is that it doesn't have a good flowcharting program like Visio. I've tried all the seperate flowcharting programs under Linux, and I believe they have a long way to go to catch Visio. Most people don't need this program, but In myfield it is absolutely imperative that I have a good flowcharting program.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:01 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rusty70f100
I use OpenOffice.org in Windows. I've got a few customers that use it also. They like (everything) ...Really I cant say enough good about it. We need more open source software innovation like OpenOffice.
I installed v2.2 and been using for a couple of hours...I LIKE IT! Similar looks to Ofc 2003 made it easy to get right to work, a test of the super "Search and Replace" worked better, Calc cells are easier to create/edit without so many bloat functions as Excel (for me), and a .pdf export though i won't use it that much. No email client but that's Ok, will prolly switch to Thunderbird 2 in a while. So I associated all my files with OO.

Thanks Rusty for pushing me over the edge
-

Back in Washington

Old 04-14-2007, 01:36 PM
JR182PILOT
Senior User
Talking

I see we are now back in the Washington Chapter with this thread. I need a map, more coffee an a cig.

Since I am here.....I feel the need to BASH M$..... I started out in 83 with putter and Windowz 3.0(?) Played with for about a week. Deleted it, went full DOS.

Next was Windowz 3.2(?) Did the same thing. On to Windowz 9.5, hate to say it, started using Windowz, on one putter.

Let's not forget ME, who could ever forget that crap!!! That was a big ripoff.....Back to 95 for me.

Now Win 98 & SE was not all that good, and I used it on all my putters. Got good with it too, just do a full 100% install once a year.

Windowz XP, well the current ver with sp2, has to be the best that M$ has come up with. Even with all the holes & plugs......

Pista......Just an other ME.....M$ going for the bucks. How many ver's? How many prices? With top being $400.

Now for you Guys & Gals that are running Pista and are doing well. Good for you. However, most people can't upgrade, there putters can't run it. So they need a new putter.

Top that off with, you need LOT'S and LOT'S of POWER to run it...Know why???? Because it's no longer you computer. It's now M$'s computer, they now OWN it. You paid them to own your computer!!! It's called M$'s DRM. and that is why you need all that power, so it can run the DRM that is the main part of
Vista

Would you pay for a car or truck, that only the manufacture could use most of the time?????

Old 04-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 190 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by JR182PILOT
I see we are now back in the Washington Chapter with this thread. I need a map, more coffee an a cig.
Didn't you guys get the memo. We decided that we were going to move this thread all over the site on a daily basis just to keep you guys on your toes.

Just kidding.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:26 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
I always wonder why it matters where a thread is moved

I mean I just subscribe to a bunch of threads and get notice when someone posts through my gmail. The thread takes you right there.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Let's not forget ME, who could ever forget that crap!!! That was a big ripoff.....Back to 95 for me.
You've got that right! ME was a total waste of time and money. Glitchy SOB! I upgraded to XP Pro and never looked back! I have Media Center on my laptop and though I've never really used it for what it was intended, I haven't had any problems... yet (been two years).

Old 04-14-2007, 06:18 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
I LOVED Windows ME. Cause I practically made a living off of helping keep that crap OS running for everyone around running it!

Old 04-14-2007, 11:34 PM
JR182PILOT
Senior User
Talking Woes Worsen For Windows Vista

Here is a good read.

Woes Worsen For Windows Vista.
April 5th 2007

www.playfuls.com/news_06857_Woes_Worsen_For_Windows_Vista.html

Old 04-14-2007, 11:39 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Well, the only part I don't get, and I do agree with alot of it, but the computers say Vista capable. As an adult I think that someone would do their research on hardware and software before spending that much money.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
As an adult I think that someone would do their research on hardware and software before spending that much money.
But this is a turn-key, throw-away society! Everybody wants IT to "run right out of the box", no matter what IT is, and when IT doesn't work anymore, we just throw IT away! Well, some of us do. Then there are those like me that still have their very first computer, no hard drive, no floppy drive, runs on Basic and you have to program it EVERY time you turn it on.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:04 AM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Snowbunny
But this is a turn-key, throw-away society! Everybody wants IT to "run right out of the box", no matter what IT is, and when IT doesn't work anymore, we just throw IT away! Well, some of us do. Then there are those like me that still have their very first computer, no hard drive, no floppy drive, runs on Basic and you have to program it EVERY time you turn it on.
Yeah, I kept my first (Atari 800 runs on Basic) and my second (Compaq, runs on DOS and weighs 80 lbs) at my mothers. Wonder if they are still in the garage?

Old 04-15-2007, 12:10 AM
JR182PILOT
Senior User
Lightbulb

Well, the only part I don't get, and I do agree with alot of it, but the computers say Vista capable. As an adult I think that someone would do their research on hardware and software before spending that much money.
Well the Real computer buyers are not like us. Remember TRON, they are users. They just buy and use the thing. Now if it says it will run the New Pista, than it should run the OS.

M$ should have said it will only run this ver or that ver. They did not tell buyers that, so they need busted big time.

The last time I looked, just before Pista went on sale. Was something like 87% of the putters would not run it. And most of them would not run the basic home ver. very well.

I did a survey a few weeks ago for Dell. The survey was on using Linux and if I would buy a Dell system running a Linux OS. That tells me Dell see's the hand writing on the wall. They want to sell putters and know that M$ is screwing that up for them.

M$'s DRM is the BIG Fault in all of this. Most people do not know that M$ is requiring motherboard makers to install DRM chips on there motherboards.
Dell, Gateway anyone that wants to offer a M$ system, has to have the chips installed or you can't use M$ Pista.....

Last edited by JR182PILOT; 04-15-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:46 AM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
I did a survey a few weeks ago for Dell. The survey was on using Linux and if I would buy a Dell system running a Linux OS. That tells me Dell see's the hand writing on the wall. They want to sell putters and know that M$ is screwing that up for them.
Do you remember what Distro of Linux it was? I'm very curious to know. I hope it wasn't Suse.

Quick Reply: Computer thread