1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Can't Smog Wife's Truck NEED URGENT HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:02 AM
High Desert Ranger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't Smog Wife's Truck NEED URGENT HELP

My wife has a 1996 B2300 Mazda with a standard cab, and manual transmission. Currently we are have problems with it passing a smog inspection. It previously had a P1443 code which was the EVAP purge flow sensor and that has been replaced with a dealer part, but now the smog people are giving me printouts saying the the "Non-Continuous Monitors" are in the "Not-Ready" state and it can't pass smog. They gave me a print out and it says that the "Catalyst" "EGR" "EVAP" monitor are in the "Not Ready" state. I have driven this truck for over 200 miles since replacing the EVAP sensor and clearing the codes, which every Smog tech I've talked to said that the monitors should have been set. My wife has started school and now she is gonna be without a vehicle to drive.

I've been told to check the fuses and I've done that and they are all fine. I've been told to go drive it some more, and have done that and nothing is better. I've been told that the computer either needs to be replaced or reflashed. And I've also bee told that it might be an electrical wiring issue. Anyone run into a problem like this? I can't guess and throw parts at it, I haven't got the money.
<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_519300-->

Old 04-10-2007, 10:34 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Run it by your favorite autoparts store & have another computer trouble code scan done & post ALL the trouble codes found & the order in which they were found.

Seems to me, something else must be amiss, as erasing the computer trouble code & all the driving you've done should have reset things by now.

So we need to see if the computer can offer up some code number clues for us to home in on.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:45 AM
BlkRanger
Junior User
I wish I could help, but I can''t. I do know your frustration though.

Just out of curiosity, what state do you live in? They tried that emissions testing here in Maine, but then dis-continued it, much to my delight. I believe they still may be doing it in the southern part of our state, but not up here.

Kev

Old 04-10-2007, 01:43 PM
High Desert Ranger
New User
Only code present comes from a ScanTool and not just a code reader. It is code P1000, drive cycle/readiness monitors not set.

I live in So Cal.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I know you've been driving a lot, and I agree that it would seem all system monitors should be ready by now. However, all I can suggest at this point is to keep driving. Maybe this will help:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

You can read more in depth about the Ford OBD-II system monitors here:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...f/obdsm962.pdf

Old 04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
cadriver
Senior User
Originally Posted by High Desert Ranger
Only code present comes from a ScanTool and not just a code reader. It is code P1000, drive cycle/readiness monitors not set.

I live in So Cal.
Try disconnecting the battery for 10 min, and drive the car on the fwy about 40 miles not more than 60mph and try not to use hard acceleration or the brakes too much, and see if CEL is back. If isn't go retest the truck.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
An abbreviated drive cycle, that may reset your Ford computer, can be found here.
Just drive exactly as outlined in each step, for the way your vehicle is equipped.

Scroll down & find "Running An OBD-2 Drive Cycle.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/us796obd.htm

Let us know how it goes.