Computer Chips & Tuners  

2006 F250 bullydog w/problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Nybillygoat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 F250 bullydog w/problems

I installed a Bullydog Triple dog programer, and it seems now i'am having tranny problems. If i set my truck back to stock settings, it works fine... when its programed in tow/economy.. once in awhile when it shifts... it feels like its double shifting. example will shift from 1st to 2nd and then into 2nd again... and go from 2nd into 3rd, then into 3rd again...

sometimes it works good.. most of the time it double shifts..any one have this problem?

also i did what the instrucyion book says about relerning tranny... that didn't work either.. or i could be doing it wrong...

I updated the triple dog with the latest updates..

Truck has 40,000 miles on it.. and has been fine...

any help would be greatful

Ps-2006 F250 Ext cab, shortbed 6.0L Lariat

Old 04-07-2007, 01:47 PM
tholt34
Senior User
I'm sure some of other people might know more then me, but i bet that double shift in the tow economy is the torque converter locking in after it makes the shift into second or third. I may be wrong but thats what itsound like its doing.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:25 PM
slisty
Senior User
I hope some one chimes in here that knows as I'm haveing the same trouble. I just got the Trip dog and installed it just like you did as well as tranny relearn and it feels like it hold in 3rd gear some times too. Just like you I go back to stock and all is good.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:39 PM
ramsey_71
Senior User
When I first got my Bully Dog I had trouble as well, but only on performance. (I'm scared of extreme, never tried it.) When I first installed it I took it out for a little test run, and when I opened it up much it just refused to shift unless you let off the throttle. However, I didn't have much trouble in Tow/Economy when easing around town, unless the engine was cold. Then it would shift hard. I took the programmer off for a run through the shop for 10k service, and when I loaded it back up, I immediately turned it up to extreme and went through the relearn sequence as closely as possible. It seemed to be fine after that when I went back to Tow/Haul. However, after reading that most people get the best mileage on performance, I turned it up. Now when I am driving with the cruise, at the bottom of every hill it will shift out of 6th immediately, then try to "hunt" for a gear sometimes. I am about fed up with it.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ramsey_71
When I first got my Bully Dog I had trouble as well, but only on performance. (I'm scared of extreme, never tried it.) When I first installed it I took it out for a little test run, and when I opened it up much it just refused to shift unless you let off the throttle. However, I didn't have much trouble in Tow/Economy when easing around town, unless the engine was cold. Then it would shift hard. I took the programmer off for a run through the shop for 10k service, and when I loaded it back up, I immediately turned it up to extreme and went through the relearn sequence as closely as possible. It seemed to be fine after that when I went back to Tow/Haul. However, after reading that most people get the best mileage on performance, I turned it up. Now when I am driving with the cruise, at the bottom of every hill it will shift out of 6th immediately, then try to "hunt" for a gear sometimes. I am about fed up with it.
Sounds like typical hackjob tuning to me. Any moron can make a tune work at WOT,but the true tuners are able to setup the tuning at all driving RPM's, speeds, etc. Driveability is where it's at,and makes the difference between a "tooner" and a "tuner". Unfortunately, most all aftermarket "canned" or "preloaded" tunes are the WOT hackjob variety.
JL

Old 04-10-2007, 01:34 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
Sounds like typical hackjob tuning to me. Any moron can make a tune work at WOT,but the true tuners are able to setup the tuning at all driving RPM's, speeds, etc. Driveability is where it's at,and makes the difference between a "tooner" and a "tuner". Unfortunately, most all aftermarket "canned" or "preloaded" tunes are the WOT hackjob variety.
JL
Very well said.

I've helped various friends over the years "tune" their "tuners" - vehicles (car or truck) which they've already paid a shop/tech/tuner to do the work, only to realize "some" but not "all" of the potential that was there with the slew of aftermarket parts they've installed (and machine work, port work, etc).

In one particular friend's mustang, we got an almost 22% increase in HP and Torque as measured by a dyno in his area. Just from tuning *above* what the shop he hired originally did.

I've not been impressed with "plug in" pre-programmed chips nor have I been impressed with many local shops who do this kind of tuning - car or truck, domestic or import - each vehicle is different, and that combination should be tuned specifically for that vehicle.

Two F150's identically configured, optioned, and featured, will behave differently, for example.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:07 PM
slisty
Senior User
So for us with the bully dog what do you think we should do ?
Mine is stock although I am haveing a silver line SS304 4" turbo back exhaust installed with a 3.5" down pipe. ( no cat, free flow muffler )

Old 04-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by slisty
So for us with the bully dog what do you think we should do ?
Mine is stock although I am haveing a silver line SS304 4" turbo back exhaust installed with a 3.5" down pipe. ( no cat, free flow muffler )
Get rid of the one-size-fit-all tuner,and go find a shop that deals in custom tunes.The cost will be close to the same as that cookie cutter tuner,and you'll have the PCM setup the way you like it.
JL

Old 04-14-2007, 05:54 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
According to Edge, bully dog leaves a footprint in the ECM that locks out other tuners. I haven't heard of that before, but if you can't program a previously programmed ecm, you will need to let ford reflash it.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 PM
LotsaCampers
New User
This is the first I have heard that the Bully Dog (I am looking at the triple) leaves any footprint once the stock settings are restored. I am interested in the increase in mpg only - I am quite happy w/the power & torque I have. I don't want Ford to ever know it was there if I do go with the Bully.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:40 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I didn't know it either until my third phone call to edge, troubleshooting a evolution/attitude.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:44 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now I'm a little leary about taking what a business rival says about his competition at face value. I haven't had that problem since I had to go to custom tuning because of some of the other upgrades that I have done that the triple didn't account for(and my truck hasn't been reflashed in a long time, alot longer then when I had switched to a different tuner for custom tunes), but I was very happy with the triple dog, just wanted more upgrades(and so the psd modding syndrome found another victim).

Old 04-28-2007, 07:33 AM
LotsaCampers
New User
OK. Does anyone else have any experience with the Bully leaving a footprint? I am most worried about Ford. If I use it, I want it for the Economy - increased mpg. I don't want any issues with Ford when I take it in for regular service, etc.

I have also heard that even the Economy/Tow settings affect the longevity of the engine. I first read that last night. Is this true? I want to keep my truck until..... (more than 200K miles). It is a new '07 w/600 miles. I only want the increased mpg, I have plenty of hp and torque - the TT we tow when camping is approximately 8000lbs. The trailer is 7000lb dry.

So, thoughts?

Old 04-28-2007, 08:21 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my experiance, I haven't had any trouble with ford with regard to my having a tuner and I did have the bully dog. Just return your truck to stock, go in for service and return it back to the setting you had it on. However, I have a fairly mod friendly dealership, so it really depends on your individual dealership. As far as longevity goes, the determing factor in that is how you abuse your new found power. People have too quickly assumed that it is the mere fact that you have a tuner that is going to cause problems with the overall lifespan of the engine. In all honestly, if I were to just dog a vehicle with stock tuning I can ruin that just as quickly as one with a tuner on it. If your able to be conservative with it(which is hard) then it shouldn't be a problem, I have known too many people with 200k plus trucks that have been chipped for most of those miles that haven't had just the normal maintance issues. However, the biggest impact to longevity and even to mpg that your tuner gives you(or really even without the tuner) is how heavy your right foot is.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by LotsaCampers
OK. Does anyone else have any experience with the Bully leaving a footprint? I am most worried about Ford. If I use it, I want it for the Economy - increased mpg. I don't want any issues with Ford when I take it in for regular service, etc.

I have also heard that even the Economy/Tow settings affect the longevity of the engine. I first read that last night. Is this true? I want to keep my truck until..... (more than 200K miles). It is a new '07 w/600 miles. I only want the increased mpg, I have plenty of hp and torque - the TT we tow when camping is approximately 8000lbs. The trailer is 7000lb dry.

So, thoughts?
The '06 and up processors all have the capability to keep track of the number of reflashes the PCM has had done to it.It is for certain enabled on the '07 Diesels,and there is NO WAY to eliminate it or set the counts back to zero. Even if you "return it to stock"-there will be evidence that you've flashed the processor.
JL

Quick Reply: 2006 F250 bullydog w/problems