General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Choosing a Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Marc150
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing a Credit Card

I've been thinking about getting a credit for a while now. I know what yall are thinking, "heres another kid who is gonna get into debt cuz he cant manage his spending." Well, I have had good practice at doing that over the years cuz mom and dad don't help me with money at all(unless its a dire circumstance). I want one for emergency purposes(repairs, no cash in bank ect). I've been thinking and looking around but I'm not sure about who to go with and what to look for. I'm a NRA member and they offer a credit card;

-0.00% APR fixed for the first 12 billing cycles after your account is opened.†
After that 9.99% APR, 11.99% APR, or 13.99% APR as of 03/2007 depending on how you meet our credit criteria.

-Grace Period Not less than 20 days from the date of the billing statement on new purchases (provided you have paid your previous balance in full by the due date

-No annual fee

I'm just not sure what to look for, but I AM sure I want a limit on the card, prob around $500 or so. I know theres a lot of them out there, so whats yalls input?? What would be a good credit card for someone like me to get(and don't say none).

Old 04-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Patatoe1
Elder User
Well I applied for all I could because no one would give me one because of my lack of credit history.(just turned 20) Washington Mutual caved in and gave me a card with a $2000 limit. I have had it now for a little under a year, and my credit score is up to 738. Take what you can get and be responsible with it.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:23 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
That sounds like a good deal on a card to me. If you look around, you can find cards with no annual fee for 10% to 12% and a grace period. Those are the deals to look for.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:33 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
how is your credit? do you have any?

that will be a big determination on the credit card you can get.

if you don't have credit history, you might have to get a secured card, then work your way into a normal credit card.

i know capital one will give a normal card to people with little or no credit history, with a $300 starting credit line.

i have citi and chase for my cards. if you go to MSN money, look on the right and you will see a bunch of stuff. click on credit cards and they give a nice current list of credit cards to compare.

the key is, pay it all off before the billing cycle, that is what gets a lot of people in trouble. but with 0% apr for 12 months, not much worry in that for the first 12 months at least.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
For you, and most people, a no-fee card is the way to go. If you can be responsible with it and pay the balance on time each month, you basically get to borrow money for free. That's a good deal.

Heck, even having a credit card and using it a couple times a year will help you build up your credit score. This can be a big deal when it comes time to buy a new car or get a mortgage.

If you play smart and keep yourself under control, credit can be a beautiful thing. If you abuse it or don't pay attention to your spending, it can ruin you.

Good luck and play safe out there!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:05 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Have one and one only, I have one ....going on 20 years now.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Marc150
Elder User
I have loans out in my name for college and i was told that gives me a credit base. I have no idea if that is correct or not. I am leaning towards the one from the NRA because of the 0% APR deal. That'd be nice for the first 12 months haha. I going to hunt around and research a little more tonight before I go to sleep and see what I can find. Thanks guys, any further input welcome!

Old 04-05-2007, 08:06 PM
ranger1999 Bob
Posting Guru
stay away from any card that wants you to open up an account in their bank as security those are usually scam cards and hit you with high interest and all kinds of fees

Old 04-05-2007, 08:11 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as long as you pay tyhe balance in full each month, the APR doesnt really matter.....

I've got a "GM" card (had it for a LONG while) i think the apr is around 28%, but Im not sure, never paid interest on it.

Rewards cards are nice, but they almost always have a yearly fee, which imo is complete bullcrap.......

Old 04-05-2007, 08:25 PM
john112deere
Posting Guru
I'm 19, with basically no credit.

Last fall, I got an LL Bean Visa card. No annual fee; can't remember the APR because I always pay it off in full, but it's about the same as any other card; $1500 or $2000 limit (again, can't remember because I always pay it off, and I can't afford to get close to the limit); and I even get 0.5% of what I spend back in LL Bean gift certificates. It's not a lot of money, but hey- it's something. Also get free shipping and monograming on whatever I order, and a $10 gift certificate for signing up.

Look around, see what you can find.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:49 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best card I knew of was MBNA; unfortunately, they sold out to BOA (whom I despise). The next best bet as far as a company who has respect for their customers is Discover. At all costs avoid Capital One.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:43 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
I agree, avoid capitol one......

Discover is cool, butnot all places take it

Old 04-06-2007, 01:46 AM
sir alpha
Junior User
everyone has a offer discover % back
others have miles cash a toaster ........................ blah blah

figure out what u want out of a card look for that
i have a discover just to get the 5% back and use it to buy different things at borders cause discover will give me 5% back $20 at a shot or $40... for every $20 discover gives me borders will give me $5 i got the gas card one i can use it on aything and get 1% for it but i get 5% on anything automotive i think but i only use it for gas there for i get 5% + all the time

one thing to know about all cards they r high intrest debt they r easy to use and harder to pay off however they r a account like any bank account
i use about $150 /30 days on gas if i send them a $350 check they have to apply to my account i spend $150 on gas and i have another $200 on the card i get the statement and pay what i bought my job is feast or fammin now i have a feast but when it slows down i might try to get 40 hours a week ( almost always possible ) but if they move me to a job i cant stand i will just take a few weeks off and not come home pissed and moody so the better half dosent deal with me like that
$350 on the card .................................................. 1st to start
$150 in gas charged ............................................. over the 1st 30 days
$200 still pos. balance on card ................................ at end of 1st 30 days
$150 in gas charged .............................................. over 2nd 30 days
$50 still pos. balance on card ................................ at end of 60 days
$150 in gas charged ............................................. over 3rd 30 days
-$100 balance .................................................. .... at end 90 days and another 30 to pay it 120 days total

i have 90 days w/o a credit card bill

hope that helps

Old 04-06-2007, 02:14 AM
oldgoat49
Elder User
I was forced into getting a credit card several years ago when I bought a computer. You had to have one to get the rebate for some reason. At the time I wasn't too happy about it, but decided that I had wanted one for emergencies when traveling (once had to write a check to a priest for some cash 300 miles away from home to be able to get back home). Anyway I got one through the credit union with no annual fee and I believe 7.5%. Don't know for sure because I always pay mine off each month. Mine is a Visa card and has my ugly mug on it to hopefully reduce the chances of someone using it if I lose it. If just starting out I would check around for what options I had and take the best of them. No annual fee is first and the being sure to pay off each month. After a year check again. $500. is probably fine to start with, but if you are away from home $500. might not cover things. Just make sure you are responsible with it because it is a easy trap to fall into with making partial payments.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:07 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's wrong with Capital One? Ive been with them for years and never had anything but perfect service from them. Also, the grace period is longer than most of the others.

Jim

Quick Reply: Choosing a Credit Card