1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Driver Front Oil Galley Plug Location

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:58 PM
grantorino
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver Front Oil Galley Plug Location

Can someone tell me where the oil galley plug is on the driver's side front of the head is? I have a '97 F350 4x4 PSD. I've been told by two different shops that that's where my oil leak is coming from, but I can't figure out where it is and/or how I would get to it. Part of the problem is the AC compressor in the way, but I can't believe I have to remove it just to see the plug is. By the way, just picked up a couple of these plugs from 1stfordparts.com for $4.67/apiece. Seems cheap compared to other dealers.

Thanks in advance!

George

Old 04-05-2007, 05:09 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
the plugs your talkin about are located in the valley on the heads. If you know what thew plug looks like then hop up on the truck and look down the the inner side of the heads facing the turbo andf fuel filter assembly and you'll see 'em. if that makes any sense. Good luck!

Cowboy Steve

Old 04-05-2007, 06:02 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there are also large end plugs ont he front side of the head under the accessory drive brackets (the brackets the a/c compressor and vacum pump, PS pump) they are larger with a 1/2 inch square drive hole. I believe they are only sold in as a complete plug now.

Oil Rail End Plugs (large plugs at each end of heads; incl. O-rings)
(Navistar) 1827535-C91

Old 04-05-2007, 07:15 PM
grantorino
Junior User
Thanks for your help. I believe the one I'm after must be the one on the front of the head. So it sounds like I need to take off the A/C compressor etc to get at it, or is there some way to sneak the plug out and in without taking those accessories off?

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:19 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

i would unbolt the a/c compressor, remove the hose off the vacum pump then unvbolt the bracket. the just lay it aside with the powersteering pump still attached. you should be able to get to it then

Old 04-15-2007, 04:28 PM
grantorino
Junior User
So I'm attempting this job today and I'm stuck trying to remove the bracket from the motor. Got the compressor off no problem, but I'm trying to pull the bracket off and must not be finding all the bolts that attach the thing to the engine. So far I've gotten 3 13mm bolts out but the bracket won't budge. The other bolts are bigger and look like they simply hold the P/S pump to the bracket. Does anyone know how many bolts attach the bracket to the motor? I can't believe I'm having so much trouble finding them.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2007, 06:20 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I went out and looked at my truck and could only see two bolts (I didn't get right in there with a light or anything) but I am quite sure three sounds right. I have never had that side off. I did find a bracket on ebay but it was for a 99 but it looked to have 4 bolts that mounted it. it might have locating dowels that are stuck?

Old 04-15-2007, 07:01 PM
grantorino
Junior User
Thanks, Tim. There was a 4th one hiding. Got it out and replaced the galley plug in about 5 min. Now I'm trying to put a new serp. belt on and I can not for the life of me get it to go on. Is it supposed to be this hard? I've got the auto-tensioner pushed as far as I can go and still can't get the belt looped over the alt. pulley. It's a Motorcraft belt, so I'm pretty sure it's the right one.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2007, 08:57 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

do you have it routed right? with all this stupid pulleys it easy to mix the routing up.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:46 AM
grantorino
Junior User
Thanks again, Tim. Got it done, just had to reef a little further on that tension pulley and got the belt to just slip under the idler pulley. Does seem tight, but I assume it will stretch a little. Cranked it about 10 seconds and it fired right up. I really appreciate the help!

-George

Old 04-16-2007, 07:33 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

good to hear. isn't it a good feeling doing it yourself and keep all that money you could have paid in labor!

Old 04-16-2007, 11:28 AM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Sending out an "Atta Boy" to grantorino! Congrats on your success.

Cowboy Steve

Old 04-17-2007, 10:14 PM
grantorino
Junior User
Well, I thought I was all done. Went to start the truck tonight after it had sat a couple days and it took about 2 tries 10 seconds each to get it going. Does this mean my newly installed galley plug is leaking oil pressure? Damn! I really don't want to do the job all over again

Old 04-18-2007, 05:40 AM
DAVID'S97F250HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by grantorino
Well, I thought I was all done. Went to start the truck tonight after it had sat a couple days and it took about 2 tries 10 seconds each to get it going. Does this mean my newly installed galley plug is leaking oil pressure? Damn! I really don't want to do the job all over again
If you leaking oil presure you'll have an oil leak, you just have some air in you oil gallery, more its driven the better it'll get, it'll work itself out.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:43 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

unless you have driven it more than 50 hard miles there is still air in there. just go for a high throttle joy ride and you should be good to go after about 50 miles

Quick Reply: Driver Front Oil Galley Plug Location