6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Engine Coolant replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 11:21 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ozx3+1
Hey, BeachBumCook-
Got a follow on question...
2) Loosen and drop lower radiator hose from radiator and drain?
I don't want the neighbors to have a fit! Is coolant bad for the sewer intake/critters/noisy old lady neighbors? If I can just uncap and let this stuff fly, my job just got a lot easier!
It would be easier to "let it fly" but it is dangerous to critters, lakes, rivers, etc. In alot of areas it is a big NO NO to put in down any sewer.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey, BeachBumCook-
Got a follow on question...
2) Loosen and drop lower radiator hose from radiator and drain?
I don't want the neighbors to have a fit! Is coolant bad for the sewer intake/critters/noisy old lady neighbors? If I can just uncap and let this stuff fly, my job just got a lot easier!
Well... your tree hugger!!!!

I let it drop on the side of my yard/street. It killed a little grass and I watered it down and away as I worked due to my dog. The rule is to collect it and recyle it.... but hey... do what your comfortable with. I have always just let it go down the sewer drain... but I am sure I have violated many EPA rules.... oops.

Might catch the first drain as it is the most concentrated... then with each subsequent one it is mostly distilled water.

Last edited by Beachbumcook; 03-30-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:31 AM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
Well... your tree hugger!!!!
Not likely! I just can't afford fines, jail time, retributive neighbors...

Might catch the first drain as it is the most concentrated... then with each subsequent one it is mostly distilled water.
Yup, that's what I was thinking. I'm not sure where I'll put the first 7 gallons, but I'm sure it'll find a new "special" home

Old 03-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Not likely! I just can't afford fines, jail time, retributive neighbors...

Yup, that's what I was thinking. I'm not sure where I'll put the first 7 gallons, but I'm sure it'll find a new "special" home
Hey during the day when people are at work is a great time!!!!

Just think about all the broken radiator hoses and radiators that blow.... where does all that coolant go????? Dump it on the ground and get-er-done!!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 11:46 AM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Hey during the day when people are at work is a great time!!!!

Just think about all the broken radiator hoses and radiators that blow.... where does all that coolant go????? Dump it on the ground and get-er-done!!!!
I am going to be out there at 0dark:30 tomorrow morning to do this... Humm... OOPS! What happened!!! MY RADIATOR HOSE BURST!!! MAN! THIS TRUCK IS NEW!!! And then the noisy will care not, that something "BAD" happened to me... God love 'um... They know not what they do, their hatefulness...

BTW... Ford "GOLD" coolant must contain real gold in SoCal... It's $17.50/gal + tax... That's $19.03/gal!! $75.00!!!

However, with a GOOD flush, it's OK to use "in spec" coolants after a complete evacuation of the system. I'm told that bum is correct in his methods of using ~16 gallons of distiled H2O to get the job done. This constitutes a complete system evac.

Last edited by OZX1; 03-30-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure you don't dump the coolant where animals can lap it up, it will kill them. Also don't dump it in the ground where there is an aquifer as it can contaminate well water.

www.aa1car.com/library/coolant2.htm

I'm no enviro-wacko, but if you can find a place that will take the used coolant it would be better.

EDIT: Since you live in Kali - www.green.ca.gov/EPP/Vehicles/Antifreeze.htm

Last edited by Kep4; 03-30-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:58 AM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Kepler4
Make sure you don't dump the coolant where animals can lap it up, it will kill them. Also don't dump it in the ground where there is an aquifer as it can contaminate well water.

www.aa1car.com/library/coolant2.htm

I'm no enviro-wacko, but if you can find a place that will take the used coolant it would be better.
My friendly Autozone! 2 miles away...

Old 03-30-2007, 12:08 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Kepler4

I would second this one... I'm not a tree hugger either, but that's just something you shouldn't do. Besides, this is what causes all the liberals to freak out and start making harsher laws to restrict things we can and can't do. Accidents happen, but doing it on purpose... not cool.
Beachbum, the coolant being "used up" is debatable. I agree that you shouldn't use it over again, but if it's "lifetime" coolant, in theroy it never gets "used up" right?

Old 03-30-2007, 12:14 PM
FSeybert
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any of the quick oil change places will take it, free of charge. And it will kill any animal that digests it, kidneys shut down. Not a pretty death.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by sgthawkusmc
I would second this one... I'm not a tree hugger either, but that's just something you shouldn't do. Besides, this is what causes all the liberals to freak out and start making harsher laws to restrict things we can and can't do. Accidents happen, but doing it on purpose... not cool.
Beachbum, the coolant being "used up" is debatable. I agree that you shouldn't use it over again, but if it's "lifetime" coolant, in theroy it never gets "used up" right?
The only two things that "are for sure" are Death and Taxes!!!

The additives in coolant are there to protect the various metal parts and to discharge electrical properties between the iron, aluminum and other components in the motor. No coolant is lifetime and even Ford states 100,000 miles on factory fill and 50,000 miles thereafter (due to using tap water).

Chemicals breakdown and wear out over time and with the stress of heat, cavitation, sediment and "other stuff"... flushing one's system is a goof thing and filtering it with a coolant filter (and flushing) is a great thing!!!

Check out my gallery for pics of what my coolant filter took out of my system after 6,000 miles and this ws after I flushed the system we are describing in this thread... so even after flushing... there is a lot of sand and other abrassive stuff in there!!!

If one does not use a filter, then flushing is the next best way to try and remove this sediment... which I am sure reacts in some bad way )at some level) with the coolant????

Old 04-16-2007, 05:33 PM
drewworm
Senior User
I suppose the guys who feel OK dumping the coolant feel OK dumping the engine oil too. Please don't give us any lame excuses like it is "Just to hard" to dispose of easily. Get containers and "get 'er done" properly. Tree hugging has nothing to do with being courteous to neighbors and wildlife.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:48 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Difference between coolants ...... VC-A and VC-B

VC-B coolant has a bittering agent to keep animals from drinking the coolant.
VC-A does not have the bittering agent.

Both are poisonous, VC-B supposedly tastes so bad animals will not drink it.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:51 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
if you have city sewer and not a septic tank, just dump it down your slop sink or flush it down the toilet.... thats what treatment plants are for! belive me some of your cleaning chemicals are worse that the antifreeze!

Old 04-17-2007, 07:10 AM
OZX1
Posting Guru

There was an easy and safe answer

The 5-or-so gallons of old coolant stayed safely in a bucket for a week. After a few phone calls, I found that my local PepBoys could take it in for recycling, free of charge. Done deal.
The dump it into the drain thing will get you tossed into the jailhouse here in SoCal.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:03 AM
fpd7
Senior User
I'm not a chemist, but I do have children. I really don't want that stuff coming back around. The sewer treatment plants have to dispose of their 'liquid' as well somewhere. It all comes back around in a circle to be re-used by humans again. I doubt the chemicals at the sewer treatment plant that were designed for 'natural' breakdown processes cannot break down anti-freeze. Please just recycle it for free. It's free.

Quick Reply: Engine Coolant replacement