Sponsored by:

What to lube with before installing heads

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 07:07 PM
bgblktruk
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an 88 with the 302 in it that I took the heads off to replace a broken exhaust valve. I cleaned the top of the block of gasket material and dirt. I was careful to keep contaminents out of the cylinder but some did go in there and some small particles may still be sitting around. I was wondering if it would be alright to pour some oil over the cylinders and the areas where the lifters ride to remove some of the debris. I also wanted to know if I should lube the cylinders/pistons with something prior to tightening the heads down. If you have any suggestions please be thorough in describing what to do, this is my first time removing heads and restarting an engine. The other thing is I was wondering if I can or should clean the top of the pistons and if so how and with what. Hope you can help cause I have limited experience with being this deep into an engine.

Old 05-08-2002, 08:02 AM
Bob_VT
Elder User

Clean everything and use a vacuum to suck the particles off and out of the cylinders. If you attempt to clean the carbon off the pistons be very carefull. The stuff that falls into the space by the rings will DESTROY your cylinder walls. That carbon is very abrasive stuff and it will work it's way into the rings. Yes, you can pour oil on the lifters before you assemble. This will assist in not "dry starting" the motor. Once you have the heads on you also want to use a heavy duty drill to turn the oil pump. Visit your local parts store and get a longer shaft from the distributor to the oil pump. This will only be used to prime the motor with oil. You use the longer shaft in a drill and turn until you feel resistance. This will allow oil to be pumped through the system.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 05-08-2002, 11:05 AM
bgblktruk
Tuned

Well I'm worried because some carbon definetly made its way by me. So I am kind of nervous to put everything back together. As for the extension to spin the oil pump... This sounds like the hot thicket but I don't know the tool so if you could describe it a little and tell me how to use it. The other thing is I was hoping not to move the distibutor or move the engine but after some consideration I think it may be better if I just rotate the engine to give me some peace of mind. How do I do this and what should I be careful of? Special thanks to Bob for his helpful suggestions and I hope there are more nice people like you out there to help those of us who get lost along the way.

Old 05-11-2002, 11:17 AM
bgblktruk
Tuned

Hey guys I was wondering if you could tell me what type of sealant to use on the bolts that enter the water jackets. The other thing I was wondering is if I should apply some assembly lube to anything prior to installing the heads. I really need a suggestion so if its not too much trouble could you please help me out.

Old 05-12-2002, 08:21 AM
RRL78
Senior User

You should'nt need any sealant, just put some anti-seize on the bolts so if you have too remove them at a later date, they will come out easier. The essembly lube is usually used for lubing the bearings of the crankshaft, cam, pistons, rods, etc. on a complete rebuild. If you already vacuumed out the cylinders like Bob_VT mentioned, you can squirt some essembly lube in the cyclinders if you want. It might smoke alittle on start up but, it will be fine. It want hurt athing. Good Luck, and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Rob

Old 05-12-2002, 11:16 PM
bgblktruk
Tuned

Thanks guys just waiting for the bolt kit and got everything else sitting waiting for me to take care of business. If you don't have any other ideas or suggestions I'm going with what I got tommorow. I hope this all comes out, good and if so it will be in big part due to the help I received in these forums. So thanks again.

Old 05-13-2002, 08:57 AM
txbronco
Freshman User