A New Brownie thread . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 AM
uglydukwling
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I found a Spicer 5831 D. It has more play in it than I'd like, but I'm still looking for a transmission shop that isn't afraid to look at old equipment to get a second opinion.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at how I can install it if it is usable or repairable. All the pictures I've seen show input and output flanges, but this one has yokes to take a large wing-type universal (a 7C, as far as I can tell) No way am I going to be able to mate that to my drive shaft. (btw, the input yoke looks fairlly ordinary; the output is bell-shaped and about 6" long,possibly a mount for a parking brake)

No problem. The Spicer catalog shows that both input and output take CF 4-1-331X flanges. I even have a couple of these and yokes to bolt up to them.

Problem. I tried to mount the flanges on the shafts. The output fit perfectly. The flange wouldn't go on the input. The catalog says the shafts are both 1.750", 10-spline. The output is, but the input is 10-spline, all right, but it mikes 1.760". Also, the catalog says the seal surfaces on both yokes are 2.500" diameter. The output is, but the input is 2.455".
What do I have and what can I do about it? The number stamped on the input yoke looks like 315 578 C1. The last character has been scuffed by a bolt head, so I'm not sure of it. I was thinking of bolting a plate to the yoke where the wing-type u-joint would have been bolted, then drilling it to accept a more useful size of yoke, but there must be a simpler way.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 AM
perk40
Freshman User
The one I rebuilt had yokes as well. That is most likely where most of your play is. You can buy different size yokes. That is what I planned to do.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 AM
uglydukwling
New User
I got mine apart, and the play is from the gears being loose on the mainshaft. I'm about to start looking for parts, but I expect that if I have to replace the gear and shaft, the job won't be worth doing. Has anybody ever tried boring the gear for a bushing? I'm afraid the gear will be too hard to machine. The shaft is probably also worn enough that it would have to be ground. The gear teeth look good, so it would probably work if I could get rid of the excess clearance between hub and shaft.

As for the input yoke, the problem is the shaft size. There doesn't appear to be anything made to fit a 1.760" diameter, 10-spline shaft. According to all the Spicer literature I've been able to find, this shaft doesn't exist, and neither does the yoke that came with it. I'm not even sure that the yoke I have is the right one for the shaft, because it was a major struggle to pull it off.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:02 AM
WhitefishBoy64
Junior User
howdy,

I am struggling to find info on a few of these boxes that have found, dispite searching the web for weeks there are some i just cannot find... i have located about 20 of these boxes within an hour or so of my house but i need info. the ones i still need are as follows:

8314D
8031R
7232B
8345A

and is a 8035G the same as8031G?

I plan of making a compilation post of the forty or so that i have found ratios for and all the sites and lists i have found to make it easier for the next poor guy to needs to id one so that he doesn't need to ask and visit a dozen sites

If any of you have spread sheets showing the ratios and letter designations i would sure be grateful

Thanks,

WhitefishBoy64

Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Four Paws
Junior User
I am looking for service manuals, parts manuals, or any other useful information for the 5xxx and 6xxx and 7xxx series auxiliary transmissions. Please post a link a link in this thread, send me a PM, or an email. Thanks

Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
I stopped by my buddies house this afternoon and looked at the auxillary tranny he said I could have. It's in a 58 GMC 1 1/2 ton with a hydramatic trans. I cannont find a tag on it, but It measures 21" center of yoke to yoke, and 14" top to bottom. It has a band brake on it . It also has a nice shifter in the cab with 2 rods going to it. The shift handle has a tapered shaft and a regular shift ball threaded on it. It has 2 speeds with a neutral in the middle. It also has an 8 bolt flange about 6" bolt circle at the back side of the case. There were some casting numbers on the case about 8 digits long, but also a small logo looking like a diamond with a circle of dots or stars around it. To me it looked kinda big for my '59 diesel F350 flareside pickup, but from what I've read here, 21" isn't a real big one. I will try to get some photos. I'm dying to know what it is. Anyone have any ideas from the clues I've given. He says I can have it with all the linkages, crossmember and mounts. The cummins 6at I put in the '59 is only 120 hp, so I need all the gears I can get.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Some photos of this thing.....

Attached Images      
Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 PM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like the watson aux trans on page 11 post #161 of this thread.

I think a small aux trans like this would be a great addition to your cummins powered stepside

Have you checked to see if the 2sp aux is an underdrive/direct or direct/overdrive?

Old 11-16-2012, 06:24 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Seemed like when we looked at it a couple months ago, it was direct and underdrive, like the lower gear moved about 3/4 of a turn to one of the direct drive. I think that would be perfectly ok if it splits the gears. 65 mph in direct right now is fine since 95 percent of my use will be on the island. I have gained a lot more knowledge from this thread, but admittedly it is just 'book learnin' since I have never driven with twin sticks before...... The watson seems like harder to get parts for?

Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 PM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
I'm no expert on the aux. trans. I also have heard that the watsons are hard to find parts for.
I first found a spicer 6031 (3sp under,direct,over) in the weeds at an estate sale, mounted it in place of the carrier bearing on my 56 f600 with the 272 y-block. Found that I used it more like a range selector than to split the gears.
I now have a spicer 6041 (4sp dbl. under, under, direct, overdrive) with the 5.9 12valve cummins.... it's like having a 4 speed rear end.

I think you would really like the aux. trans. and you can't beat the price.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-17-2012, 06:40 PM
skyking1
New User
Cool trucks, guys!
I had a 68 F250 that belonged to my FIL originally. That is what got me here. We sold it to his brother a year or so ago.
My question to you is: How is that 6041 for noise? I have a 96 Cummins Dodge that pushes about 340 HP and 600 ft/lbs on the dyno. I let a 5831C slip by, partly because I was concerned about how it would live with that possible amount of torque. I am assuming the 6000 series is a bit heavier.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 PM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
My question to you is: How is that 6041 for noise? I have a 96 Cummins Dodge that pushes about 340 HP and 600 ft/lbs on the dyno. I let a 5831C slip by, partly because I was concerned about how it would live with that possible amount of torque. I am assuming the 6000 series is a bit heavier.[/QUOTE]

I've only used the spicer 6031 & 6041 and both were noisy in overdrive .... but behind the racket of the 12valve cummins I hardly notice it.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:53 PM
DrCharles
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
The 5831B I put in my stretched '65 F-350 is also noisy in overdrive (and underdrive too). The truck is so rattly and noisy it doesn't matter much either

Old 11-17-2012, 11:55 PM
skyking1
New User
Thanks guys. I heard (pardon the pun) that they are about silent in Direct. I'd spend most of the time there with the gearing I have. I have an auto with 3.55s, but it would be very nice to run in 3rd ( direct ) in the auto and be able to go ud,dir,od in the brownie while towing. The OD section of the 47RE transmission is not its strong point.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 AM
F6Guy
Elder User
I have a chelsea pto and a tulsa winch that I want to drive off of my auxillary transmission. the problem is the trans is spur gear and the pto is helical. can I just change out the gear on the pto to a spur gear and use it provided it is shimmed correctly?

Quick Reply: A New Brownie thread . . .