1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53 F100 Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:30 PM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 53 F100 Fenders

I am getting ready to purchase a set of front fenders from Mid-Fifty truck parts in Arizona.Has anyone tried any of theirs? Any problems with look, fit. or quality?Any sugeestions on best place to get them?

Old 02-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't bought fenders from them, but Mid-Fifty is one of the most trusted vendors for all our parts, according to reports from members of this forum.

It is generally accepted that all of the fenders are made by one or two sources, so price is really the most important criteria. The quality seems to be the same between different vendors.

Welcome to FTE!!!

Old 02-28-2007, 05:47 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a rule, original stock fenders fit better, but I haven't heard of anyone using aftermarket fenders, except rear fiberglass fenders who have had a problem and even with the fiberglass, I don't recall anyone having problems. I'm with Randy, Mid Fifty have been around for a while and have a reputation. If it's not right, the'll make it right.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:30 PM
jgurland
Senior User
I have a fiberglass front fender on my truck (driver's side). I'm not sure where it came from (previous owner bought it) but the fit is horrible. If I could do it over again, I would ditch the fiberglass and buy a steel one instead.

If you're going with fiberglass, I'd rethink it.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:38 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Are you talking steel or glass? I won a set at the F100 nationals in 05. They are pretty good. What I have found is they have to worked in the inner area where the gravel pan mounts to them. Randy is correct there are only two or three sources making the steel ones. Either way, reproduction or used you will have to put in some sweat equity. Just a matter of how much you want to do.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:52 AM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
Thanks for the replys and welcomes.I'mm talkin steel from china.deal's pretty good hard to pass up.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:59 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Where you live comes into play due to high shipping charges. There are good vendors out west, in OK, OH, NC to name just a few. I run them. I had to elongate a few holes. They were a huge upgrade over the glass fenders they replaced.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:38 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you have any questions about anything MF sells, give them a call and ask. Sy and the gals will tell you the truth even if it's "they are a piece of s*** but it's the best we can find...". They have hands on experience with all their parts and really care about customer satisfaction more than making a sale.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:17 PM
54 gene
Senior User
Hi everything I got from them was fine.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:27 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
I'm trying to figure out what s*** means?

Old 03-02-2007, 12:57 AM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Steel is the way to go even if forced to buy Carp from china. However, for those wanting glass, keep in mind that the new owner of Fairlane has upgraded quality of all the parts they make, so all the history on glass may not apply across the board as it did in past. This is NOT a plug for any company. I do agree with overall opinion on Mid Fifty and used them a lot with never a negative issue. J

Old 03-02-2007, 02:58 AM
papabills54
Senior User
I live in las vegas and took a little trip down to mid fifty and was quite empressed with all the items they carry. they had everything I was looking for. the gals are pretty sharp. I would have no problem buying from them.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:54 AM
xfordman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a lot of parts from MF for my truck, including steel front fenders. They needed a little work but I was happy. Their door seals were crap, same as the answers they gave me about them. I would still buy from them, but their catalog went to the bottom of the pile.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:23 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
No offense, but everyone has problems with door seals. I've tried 4-5 different combinations and still haven't found the perfect fit. I'm sure they are a headache for MF just like for everyone else.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:33 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth, in a post I started intitled Frustrating day, I am in the process of installing a set of remanufactured steel front fenders,gravel pan and air deflecters. The parts all look great, The right side fits almost perfect except I will have to do a little cut and weld to the top of the deflecter to allow it to meet where it bolts to the fender, the holes in the gravel pan will have to be enlarged a bit to allow the bolts to fit (both sides). The left side is not working out as well with regards to things lining up but I think that most of the problem is with the air deflecter, the three bottom holes line up horizontilly but are 1/2 inch lower than the holes in the gravel pan, and the holes that bolt to the fender will need to be moved. Where the fenders bolt to the gravel pan there is a bit of a gap but thought I could use some fender welting to fill that. You will have no problem dealing with Midfifty as far as I'm concerned,that's who I bought mine from. I've accepted the fact that there is going to be some finnessing to get them to fit perfectly but when I consider what I had well it's a no brainer. The fenders in my opinion are worth buying.

John

Quick Reply: 53 F100 Fenders