building a drag motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:07 PM
tex62
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question building a drag motor?

I want to build something that will run around a 10-12 sec in the 1/4th mile. any ideas on what size motor would be good in a 85ish regular cab ranger? at this point id rather over build than under build. doing it on a low budget sort of. one motor im looking into right now is a 400 something. actully has a rusted spot on the plate... which really isnt a good thing as far as the rust. lol anyway back on track. yall lemme know some opinions i'm new to building motors but ill have some good babysitters to make sure i dont screw up. just want more imput. thanks guys. sorry if this is alittle jumbled I'm tired as hell haha

Old 02-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Try the 460 engine forum guys for good ideas!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM
airharley
Postmaster
Best info to give without knowing the exact engine and budget is to build the lower end first. If you build the lower end first your engine will be able to handle anything you add later. Keep in mind that you should concider the pistons with what type of heads you want to run in the end, think compression ratios. Here's an example: If your cylinder heads have 100cc chambers with -20 cc dish pistons, 8.2-1 and you add flat tops it will give you a CR of 10.5-1. If the new heads have 76cc chamber it may require you to change the pistons again to bring the CR down from 13.5-1. You see what I mean? So choose the heads you want before you build the killer engine with stock heads.

Things to have done by the machine shop: line bore the mains to ensure it has no chance of adding drag from any offset, rebuild or upgrade the rods to include the rod cap hardware, use forged pistons, mock and deck the block to get rid of any variances between cylinders in compression ratio, and balance the rotating assembly as low as the machine shop can take it.

There are a lot of things you can do at home as well as long as you have a 1/4 die grinder and basic hand tools. Getting rid of casting sand still stuck on the inside of the block, shave down the casting flash. The oil galleries are different among the engines but the same principles apply, smooth out any sharp edges you can reach. You don't want to add to the diameter of the gallery though. Just enough to knock down the sharp edges. This will help the oil flow quicker. You can home port your heads as long as you research where to take it off from. Replace the main bolts with studs. 4 bolt mains or splayed mains may not be nesesary, do some research on this as well.

The majority of what you need to do is based on what you find researching the engine. There are a lot of books that have been published covering every aspect of performance engine building. I take a trip to Barnes and Noble once in a while to reread some of the stuff. Also take advantage of a internet search engine. They pull up all sorts of good info. I hope this helps a little bit to get you going in the right direction.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:31 PM
tex62
New User
dang thanks.... great info. (said dang cuz i forgot if this was one where you cant cuss) talked to some guys today about it. kinda put in my head that getting a 302 out of a mustang would be the best idea. i'm planning to go as a cheap build hopefully i can buy all the stuff off my uncle who wont charge me an arm and a leg. otherwise my boss's son in law races a mustang big time i could talk to him about it.... he would be charging both legs and maybe an arm though.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:44 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
Lots of good info here, if you're thinking Mustang, 302/351.
http://www.corral.net/forums/

Pete

Old 02-27-2007, 02:24 PM
WarWagon
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have drag raced Pontiacs for quite awhile and one thing I learned is that you need to go for the cubes. Build the most cubes you can afford. I think if you started with a 460, stroked it, and added a good cam, heads, intake and headers with a match converter, you should hit the mark and soil your undies. Dont forget, this truck will need a cage and a stout 9" with some big tires to hook it up. Have fun.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:08 PM
HemiEater
Postmaster
all the motor in world wont get it done with out gears....get some 4.56

Old 03-03-2007, 04:19 PM
HemiEater
Postmaster
Originally Posted by WarWagon
I have drag raced Pontiacs for quite awhile and one thing I learned is that you need to go for the cubes. Build the most cubes you can afford. I think if you started with a 460, stroked it, and added a good cam, heads, intake and headers with a match converter, you should hit the mark and soil your undies. Dont forget, this truck will need a cage and a stout 9" with some big tires to hook it up. Have fun.

What he said CUBES....

Old 03-11-2007, 09:57 AM
tex62
New User
oh yeah. i figgure though the motor is the most important step so ill deal with that first. gears and rebuilding the tranny would be the next ones on the list. then tires. im gonna have to work it out right if i can get away with it

Old 03-12-2007, 03:52 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
I'd either go 429, 460 or a 351 cleveland 4v. I know you can build a cleveland to get it done in that ranger...with mostly stock parts. It's an amazing motor. I have a '72 351c 4v cj and it was the most powerful motor ford made that year...of course smog had the 460 to about 220hp.

I'm going to build very fast clevelands in the fairly near future and plan two race a couple in the 1/4 mile...wait on gears until you know the engine and tire size etc.