General Automotive Discussion

Are ther any other pinto lovers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 06:46 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pintoches, that link goes back to fte and your truck of the month pictures, nice truck but we want the darn pinto pics. hahaha. as for what to do with it make sure it cleans ricer (insert derogatory word here). outcorners them, out stops them and just sucks the wings off of them. the 2.3 turbo motors would be easiest, but i vote small light weight v8 cause i hate fart mufflers and the noise they make. and a 5gear is the only way, but an auto would be less of a handful, or rather it would allow you to keep both hands on the wheel, where they will need to be with that monster. let them turds hear some 40 series flowmasters roar past them, as you suck the stickers off them, while they sit scratching there heads wonderin what the hell just happened?. build on brother, i'm hear for ya!

bring it smiggs

Old 02-24-2007, 07:35 PM
pintoches
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Pro-Street/StateTK
Posting Guru
pintoches

Check out my gallery for some cool 351w pintos, they were built 351w + N2o
I have also had two 302 pintos years ago! As for pinto toys of the smaller
variety, I have a ( TONKA ) pinto its very cool hot rod with flames, while i'm
at it have any of yall saw the die cast pintos at walmart now?

Wally Womack

Old 03-03-2007, 02:13 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
pintoches- just came back today and saw your pics, that is an awesome start. now i can weigh in a little better. the wheels off a fox body h.o. are perfect, put some sticky rubber on them maybe detail them with some paint. since the car is already an automatic, i would just leave it as an automatic, look for an old aod (pre computer controls) or maybe a c4. as i mentioned earlier, you will want both hands on the wheel when you are waxing rice. i stand by my recommendations for a small light weight v8. the wagon will probably have a little more rearend weight which i believe would be a huge help, to balance the car. look around there are millions of low budget small block build ups. that car will not need a lot of horsies. 300 would be plenty.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:42 PM
pintoches
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 71dusterdan
sweet, now drop in a 5.0 h.o. from the fox body with the injection a tremec 5 gear, a 9 inch and then make it a lowered pro touring car and i will worship the ground you walk on.
UPDATE I have started on it!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...o-project.html

Old 05-05-2008, 12:23 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got my daughter a Pinto coupe (with 6000 miles) to go to college in. She drove it all four years and for some time after with no problems. Then every thing plastic (about 40% of the car) began to come apart and I sold it. That engine ran good.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 775 Likes on 553 Posts
Ahhh, pintos. Very dear to my FoMoCo heart. My family had wagons during my HS years. Great make-out cars. Drove the wheels off a 71 auto-crossing & draging anything I'd could challenge. Pulled the stick outta' the tranny 3 times. Flip'd the air cleaner lid & used a taller element, yanked the smog, turbo muffler, cooler plugs & timed it to within an inch of its life & ran premium. Mom bought a 76 lux edition with a V-6 & auto. It got a similar treatment. Enjoyed terrorizing camaros, dusters & imports. Many screwed up expressions on the faces of victims.

MM&FF did a short article on an pinto with an SVO set up a few years back, it was a screamer. The next month the Letters to the Editor page was filled with howls of protest & outrage. Think their manhood was threatened.

In the perfect world where I win the lottery & have a multiple car garage & the time to build anything, I'd have half-a-dozen. First would have a late 90s V-6, T5 & vortec SC. Second would have the 1600 with a bunch of formula ford parts. Then a 2000 with dual webbers... etc, etc, etc

Thanx for bringing me back.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Eagle460
Senior User
I would love a 72 Pinto 2 door. I want to throw a mean 460 in one some day

Old 05-05-2008, 08:10 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
hey Ches, i still stand behind my idea, i will worship the very ground you walk on!!!!!! Keep us posted! and here i was gonna make a comment on som newbie thread mining!!! Hahahaha!!! Dan

Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Racer Walsh carried a lot of 2.3 high performance parts. I also am fond of the pinto, I had a 74 wagon, 76 run about and a 78 run about. I would like to have one now, I would swap in a ford small block V-8 and to the strip I would go.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:12 PM
naplesbill
Junior User
Originally Posted by Netfly
I drove a friend's Pinto with a manual in the 70's. Not bad for a small car. It was fun, economical and held up well to abuse. Sometime in the early 80's after they were noted for exploding too easily from getting hit in the rear no one wanted them anymore. Maybe that's why they stopped making them. Shortly later the Audi's were getting a bad rap for unintended acceleration and the joke of the day was: You know your having a bad day when you pull up to the toll booth and there's a Pinto in front of you and an Audi behind you.
The exploding gas tank was in the first year run. My Mom owned two different Pintos and a Mustang II (same chassis). They were great vehicles but rusted pretty badly in MI winters.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:18 PM
naplesbill
Junior User
Here is some info on the "exploding gas tank" accusations:

Originally Posted by wikipedia.org
Safety problems
Through early production of the model, it became a focus of a major scandal when it was alleged that the car's design allowed its fuel tank to be easily damaged in the event of a rear-end collision which sometimes resulted in deadly fires and explosions. Critics argued that the vehicle's lack of a true rear bumper as well as any reinforcing structure between the rear panel and the tank, meant that in certain collisions, the tank would be thrust forward into the differential, which had a number of protruding bolts that could puncture the tank. This, and the fact that the doors could potentially jam during an accident (due to poor reinforcing) made the car a potential deathtrap.

Ford was aware of this design flaw but allegedly refused to pay what was characterized as the minimal expense of a redesign. Instead, it was argued, Ford decided it would be cheaper to pay off possible lawsuits for resulting deaths. Mother Jones magazine obtained the cost-benefit analysis that it said Ford had used to compare the cost of an $11 repair against the cost of paying off potential law suits, in what became known as the Ford Pinto Memo. The characterization of Ford's design decision as gross disregard for human lives in favor of profits led to major lawsuits, criminal charges, and a costly recall of all affected Pintos. While Ford was acquitted of criminal charges, it lost several million dollars and gained a reputation for manufacturing "the barbecue that seats four."[3]

The most famous Ford Pinto product liability case resulted in a judicial opinion that is a staple of remedies courses in American law schools. In Grimshaw v. Ford Motor Co., 119 Cal. App. 3d 757 (4th Dist. 1981) [1], the California Court of Appeal for the Fourth Appellate District reviewed Ford's conduct, and upheld compensatory damages of $2.5 million and punitive damages of $3.5 million against Ford. It also upheld the judge's reduction of the punitive damages from the jury's original verdict of $125 million. Of the two plaintiffs, one was killed in the collision that caused her Pinto to explode, and her passenger, 13-year old Richard Grimshaw, was badly burned and scarred for life. Arthur N. Hews was the attorney for Plaintiffs.[citation needed]

However, a 1991 law review paper by Gary Schwartz [2], argued that the case against the Pinto was less clear-cut than commonly supposed. Only 27 people ever died in Pinto fires. Given the Pinto's production figures (over 2 million built), this was no worse than typical for the time. Schwartz argued that the car was no more fire-prone than other cars of the time, that its fatality rates were lower than comparably sized imported automobiles, and that the supposed "smoking gun" document that plaintiffs claimed showed Ford's callousness in designing the Pinto was a document based on National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regulations about the value of a human life rather than a document used to design the Pinto.

Due to the alleged engineering, safety, and reliability problems, Forbes Magazine included the Pinto on its list of the worst cars of all time.