1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Oil pressure up and down, bad sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:34 AM
richard stone
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil pressure up and down, bad sensor??

This morning while my truck was warming up, I noticed the oil pressure gauge was not reading and the light was on. I put it in gear, it went up to normal and dropped back down again about 30 seconds later, then went back to normal. Oil level was OK and the truck was parked on an slight incline. I am getting it checked out tomorrow, but am wondering what the problem might be.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Be very carefull with what you do from now on man. I personally wouldnt drive it untill i found out for sure. My experiance has told me that by the time you see the oil pressure gauge fluxuate like you did when driving the damage is already done and the engine is probably damaged. It is very possible that the sensor could be bad, but thats not a mistake that is worh 4 grand for a new motor ( im estimating). Seriously get it checked by a professional if you dont know how.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:57 AM
richard stone
Junior User
Yeah, the oil pressure was normal after it jumped a couple times. If there was any damage to be done it is probable already done, because I noticed it after it had been warming up for a couple of minutes.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:07 AM
richard stone
Junior User
By the way the truck is a 2000 5.4 4wd, 148K miles.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:10 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
Replace the sender switch. They fail at an alarming rate.

Install a true guage if in doubt. Remember, your dash "guage" is nothing more than a mechanical idiot light that should show a mid-scale reading at any pressure (as sensed by the goofy pressure switch) above 4-6 psi.

Steve

Old 02-06-2007, 10:23 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
It probably was a faulty light. Just words of caution though.

ProjectSHO089 is right, the gauges arent very accurate and sensitive. Thats why by the time you see them fluxuate from a faulty pump the pressure has dropped, and your getting metal on metal somwhere. Aftermarket gauges are much better and more reliable.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:46 AM
richard stone
Junior User
Where is the sender switch and is it easy to access?

Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 PM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Down by the oil filter.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:23 PM
richard stone
Junior User
Well, I ran my truck this afternoon and the oil gauge and light were reading OK. I am going to go with the sending unit after hearing what you all had to say and what my mechanic said. If I am looking around the filter for this thing what should I be looking for. I have never had to replace one of these.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:48 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD
It probably was a faulty light. Just words of caution though.

ProjectSHO089 is right, the gauges arent very accurate and sensitive. Thats why by the time you see them fluxuate from a faulty pump the pressure has dropped, and your getting metal on metal somwhere. Aftermarket gauges are much better and more reliable.
To clarify what I said...

The "guage" is not a pressure measuring device AT ALL. It, quite, simply is NOT A GUAGE in any sense of the technical definition of "guage". It is ONLY a mechanical indicator that could just as easily be eliminated from the cluster and you'd have exactly the same information available to you via the OIL fault light.

Do not expect the needle to indicate anything other than a minimal pressure reading. Beyond that, it is completely worthless.

The sending switch is easiest to replace if the filter is removed on some engines. Keep that in mind while you're planning your activities.

Steve

Old 02-06-2007, 03:54 PM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

It will have a single wire running to it. On my truck it is a White/Red wire.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:33 PM
dabynx
New User
mine's doing the same

Mine has been doing this for about two weeks on very cold mornings. The first time it happened I had just pulled out on the highway and went several miles before noticing. Since then, i have watched it each morning, as the needle bobs up and down, there is no variation in engine speed, noise, anything. I have chalked it up to the sensor, believing if I really had lost oil pressure, that very first time I would have cooked the engine immediately(literally seconds??)

Is my reasoning wrong, if an engine truly loses all oil pressure, it will detonate VERY fast, correct? I mean literally in less than 10 seconds.

Never thought I would find a relevant post this fast but all the replys help quite abit. Thanks

Old 02-07-2007, 01:43 PM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
I have a friend that was driving an 80s Dodge with a 318 when his oil light came on so he stopped and checked the oil. It was fine so he started the engine, light stayed off and down the interstate he went. It came back on about 2 minutes later and he stopped again and listened to the motor as it idled.
He said it sounded fine so he took off and about 3 minutes later....the engine locked up.
Be careful and make sure it's JUST the sensor and not the oil pump....like in the Dodge.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:50 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
It wont detonate. But you will get metal on metal very quickley and it will start to loose power after a minute or two. You will have some time before the engine dies, but yes seconds after oil loss damage begins. And then usually it will lock up.

My old man and his friends took a plymoth slant 6 that was in a belvidier or somthing like that and drained the oil and water and put a brick on the accelrator. They did a raffle and the person who guessed the time that was closest to the time the motor locked up got money. That car went 22 min!!!! at full throttle with no oil or water. Them old slant six's were a bit more rugged than our motors. Ours probably wouldnt last more than five minutes like that but you never know.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:10 PM
dabynx
New User
Alright, now I'm scared again!!

Wouldn't you hear something or feel a drop in idle, etc? I've never believed or trusted idiot lites/guages, but have never experienced true oil pump failure either..

Quick Reply: Oil pressure up and down, bad sensor??